Item location misrepresented and bio security problem

I bought a lavender pillow from a seller that had his item location set as Sydney Australia. I specifically went looking for a seller with item location within Australia because I was unsure whether bio security of Australia would let a lavender pillow in through customs (Australian bio security is very picky). The pillow has not arrived yet so I went and tried to track the item which gave a 'Auspost has received shipping info but not the item' which was a bit suspect as the seller said they sent the item. I then checked the sellers feedback and lo and behold on this feedback page it says 'seller located in china'. So I guess the item is coming from China. This has me very worried that the item will not clear customs and I'm angry about this as the item location said Syndey and not China. If it had said China I would not have bought the item. I guess that if it doesn't clear customs that I can claim through Paypal? It's just that when buying items on Ebay I have read a disclaimer in the past that bio security is the buyers problem not the sellers but in this instance I had no idea that the item would be needing to clear customs at all as the item location was set within the country. The item in question is: 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Comfort-Lavender-Buckwheat-Health-Neck-Care-Pillow-Cervical-Spondylosis-...

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

I am surprised that after so many years on Ebay that you consider 98% as a good feedback score.  Most regulars would not advise purchasing from a big seller with anything les than 99.5%. 

Checking feedback and registered location can save you a wealth of pain.  Lyndal was purely stating facts so no reason to be defensive with her.  You came to the boards for assistance and she was only offering that from her extensive knowledge.

Maybe you are right, ebay may not be the place for you to shop

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

If the items have to be located in the seller's country of registration then that would knock out the dropshippers and there are a number of them on ebay Australia for a start.

There is nothing wrong with overseas sellers listing on ebay.au as long as the item location is correct.  The buyer can then make an informed decision whether to buy or not.

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

Yes I would have checked the seller's registered location if I had known there was such a thing and that it could be different from the item location and yes things I don't know on here that make unpleasant surprises make it less likely that I will be buying on Ebay in the future. For all my time on ebay it seems that there are things I can still get caught out on.

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

Why decide to leave ebay just because there are a few traps for young players.

As a result of this thread you have learned how to go about protecting yourself from the shonks....try it for a while and see if you have better experiences.

The feedback you have left for your sellers does not indicated too many problems but I am interested to know how you were out of pocket when the seller sent the wrong items....did you open dispute to get your money back?  If so, you should not have been out of pocket.

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

The Chinglish in this one is pretty bad. I especially loved this bit:

Filler: Lavender + Cotton /Buckwheat + Cotton /**bleep** Cassiae + Cotton

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

The chinese writing on the label on the corner might have got me wondering. Most things made in China for the Australia don't have a lot of chinese writing on them.

jd20005, 98% is 2 transactions out of every 100 going bad. You can bet your boots if they have a lot of negatives there's probably quite a few more but people just haven't bothered to leave feedback.

Checking feedback is essential if they have less than 100%, even if it's just to glance at the numbers of negs and neutrals they've received. If you click on the figure for how many negs they've received in the last year it'll bring them up so you can easily read the type of comments people have made.

Edit:  I never gave a thought to it bleeping out the word that made me laugh.

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

Oh, sacred cashew nuts. I wondered what you'd posted to be bleeped...  only to discover that apparently the fluid containing spermatozoa in suspension is too, too wicked for these boards.

And of course that was the very word mistranslated in the description, but correctly given in the title...

I remain at a loss when it comes to "Promote Metro metabolic ".

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

Looking at the item location does not tell you anything these days. You have to look at where the seller is registered. To find out this, click on the seller's name or feedback score - located under Seller Information over on the right hand side of the listing - and it will tell you where the seller is actually based.

Edit - now I feel an idiot as people have already told you how to find out where the seller is registered. I'm sure the previous posts weren't there when I started my reply.

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

Smiley LOL  Bad luck....my replies have been there since mid afternoon.Smiley Tongue

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

Oh well, hopefully the OP now understands what to do, having received the same suggestion more than once.

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

That must have been a looooooooooooooooooooooong coffee break, egglesdtp. g_chortle.gifcoffeemorning-f.gif

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply