Item location misrepresented and bio security problem

I bought a lavender pillow from a seller that had his item location set as Sydney Australia. I specifically went looking for a seller with item location within Australia because I was unsure whether bio security of Australia would let a lavender pillow in through customs (Australian bio security is very picky). The pillow has not arrived yet so I went and tried to track the item which gave a 'Auspost has received shipping info but not the item' which was a bit suspect as the seller said they sent the item. I then checked the sellers feedback and lo and behold on this feedback page it says 'seller located in china'. So I guess the item is coming from China. This has me very worried that the item will not clear customs and I'm angry about this as the item location said Syndey and not China. If it had said China I would not have bought the item. I guess that if it doesn't clear customs that I can claim through Paypal? It's just that when buying items on Ebay I have read a disclaimer in the past that bio security is the buyers problem not the sellers but in this instance I had no idea that the item would be needing to clear customs at all as the item location was set within the country. The item in question is: 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Comfort-Lavender-Buckwheat-Health-Neck-Care-Pillow-Cervical-Spondylosis-...

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If the item is stopped at customs, a PayPal claim might not be successful, but I suspect an ebay claim could be.

It's true that there are some obvious warning signs to look out for that can indicate an item might ship from outside AU, and it's true that knowing what they are can mean you'll avoid them, but none of that detracts from the main issue - the seller (if indeed the item does ship from outside AU) blatantly lied.

It's no different from a seller deliberately misdecribing other aspects of an item and causing problems. Besides which, it is eBay policy for a seller to be aware of the import regulations of the countries they ship to, and to not list items for sale to countries where the items are prohibited for import, so if it causes problems at customs, the seller has breached more than one policy and I tend to think eBay may be inclined to look favourably on a buyer in that case, if you contact them directly and explain the situation properly. (eBay do not usually require buyers to return items if the return address is in a different location than stated in the listing, so they already make provisions and exceptions for buyers who get caught out by this practice). 

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

I'm not sure of the customs requirements - however they have pretty good feedback. 

12 negs in the lastm onth - of which 7 were from 1 buyer.

And 379 positive - tha's a pretty good strike rate.

However the listing is misleading as it clearly states location as Sydney - you can report that to ebay.

I hope it all works out for you.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

The line in their listing "Hope You Have a Nice Shopping" (along with other Chinglish) should have sounded alarm bells!

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Yes maybe but being a busy person I don't always have time to read the item description word by word looking for 'chinenglish'.

I trust that seller doesn't misrepresent the item location that's stated at the top but as it's turning out buying on Ebay seems to be increasingly fraught with pitfalls these days. Also recently I got sent an electrical refurb item that was listed as brand new by the seller so had to open a case about that one. Why would I pay brand new prices for a refurb?

Looks more and more like Ill be taking my money to bricks and mortar stores, at least they can't misrepresent their location or the product.

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If your item is confiscated by Customs you cannot open a paypal claim.   You are supposed to know if you are buying a prohibited item.

While you may be busy it may be wise to make enough time to actually read the listing properly and check where the seller is registered.

If you had done that you would not have bought in the first place.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

Umm I did read the item listing and it said the item was located in Sydney Australia? No where on the actual listing was it written that the item was located in China, it even at the bottom says Auspost will be used? 

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

There were so many alarm bells with that listing that I would have run a mile.

The Chinglishalone would have had me looking further.

The 98.6% rating would have had me looking to see what the seller was doing wrong, which in turn would show that he was registered in China...a very big alarm bell to me.

The fact that the postage was just $1.99 speaks volumes too....and the seller will not post to a PO Box....all signs of the item coming from China with subsidised postage.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Well good for you Lyndal, for me it didn't ring any alarm bells, I guess I am a noob trusting buyer that just looks at the item location and trusts that it is right. Guess I'm too dumb to buy on Ebay anymore so I'll just pack it in because apparently nothing can be taken at face value anymore. For the record in my books 98% is a pretty good seller score.

Actually what I think is happening here is that the seller is getting someone to post it to him from overseas and then he is going to forward it on via Auspost.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

You are right that nothing can be taken at face value on ebay, especially the item location when it is connected to a Chinese registered seller.  It is probably the biggest problem with the Chinese sellers.

I would be very careful of any seller with less than 99.5% feedback....if you had bothered to read any of the negatives that the seller has collected you would see that actually getting the item may be a problem.

There are a number of logistics companies with warehouses in China.  The seller sends the items there and they are bulk shipped to Australia and then handed to Australia Post...all the while the seller is safely in China.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

You know what, I didn't even know before today how to check where a seller is registered but now I know. I wonder why Ebay allows sellers to be able to put where the item is located as different to where they are registered...

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply