Leaving negative feedback

kaz3399
Community Member

I bought an item and when it arrived, I discovered it was a conterfeit. I have resolved the issue with PayPal and received a refund. Is it worth leaving negative feedback or should I just leave it.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@kaz3399

I would feel, as kopenhagen has mentioned, that it is the seller's intention and modus operandi that would inform my decision. If the seller seems to you to be selling counterfeit items regularly and knowingly, that is a factor to take into serious account.

• If you contacted the seller to express your view or present proof that the item is counterfeit, and the seller responded with something like, "Oh no - I'm so mortified. I sent this in good faith. I cannot apologise enough - it seems we've both been duped, and I want to make this right for you by issuing full refund" - then I would not give a negative. That deserves a positive.
  • If you contacted the seller as above but the seller's response was unsatisfactory and I had to open a claim, with PayPal giving the refund (they'd take the funds for the refund from the seller, but that's not the point) - then I would give a negative.
  • If you contacted the seller only by making a claim in eBay, and the seller refunded immediately through the claim, that's more iffy for me. I would probably give a neutral, saying something like, "Item was a counterfeit, but seller quick to resolve with refund." However, this is the least likely course of action I would ever take, because I believe very strongly in contacting the seller first without opening a case. By avoiding selecting "didn't recieve" or "return item" options, and just messaging the seller, I give the seller every chance to fix the issue.
  • If you contacted the seller only by making a claim in eBay, and the seller still didn't co-operate, and you were obliged to go to the Resolution Centre (effectively asking eBay to step in), and you received the refund by eBay issuing it (they'd take it from the seller, but that's not the point) - then I would give a negative.
  • If you contacted the seller through messages (not by selecting "I didn't receive the item" or "I want to return the item", but just a message), telling the seller of the problem, and there was no satisfactory response within 3 business days or so, and you opened a claim in PayPal itself (not eBay), and PayPal issued the refund (which they'd then take from the seller) - then I would give a negative.

Basically - if the seller acknowledged the problem (counterfeit item) and tried to fix the problem without my needing to open a claim, I'd give a positive.

If the seller issued a refund immediately after I opened a claim, I'd give a neutral. (Unless the seller messaged me with apologies or explanation or something of that sort, in which case I'd either give a positive or no feedback.)

If eBay or PayPal were the engine of my refund, given that the item was counterfeit, I'd give the seller a negative, as they've failed with the item, they've failed with communication, and they've failed with issuing a refund. (Refund was effectively forced upon them.)

My negative would be something like this (avoiding all mention of dispute or claim):

Negative feedback ratingCounterfeit item. Forced refund received (seller did not resolve). Cannot recommend seller.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Depends on the circumstances.

If you think the seller was duped as well and only a victim, then no feedback would be appropriate.

However if you know the seller is aware and selling counterfeits, then neg feeback to warn others is probably the order of the day.

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

@kaz3399wrote:

I bought an item and when it arrived, I discovered it was a conterfeit. I have resolved the issue with PayPal and received a refund. Is it worth leaving negative feedback or should I just leave it.

I think it depends. If this was a one off item & you think the seller wasn't aware, then leave it.

If the seller has more of them though, go for the neg for sure, just don't mention the paypal dispute.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

If it was one of the Chinese sellers you buy from, a negative won't even make much difference.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Often if a seller makes a screw up and I have a talk to them about it and I see they understand where they went wrong, I will leave a positive. Many times now having ordered DVDs and getting a blue backed one instead of an official release, if it's cheap I let it go and don't lave any feedback at all.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@kaz3399

I would feel, as kopenhagen has mentioned, that it is the seller's intention and modus operandi that would inform my decision. If the seller seems to you to be selling counterfeit items regularly and knowingly, that is a factor to take into serious account.

• If you contacted the seller to express your view or present proof that the item is counterfeit, and the seller responded with something like, "Oh no - I'm so mortified. I sent this in good faith. I cannot apologise enough - it seems we've both been duped, and I want to make this right for you by issuing full refund" - then I would not give a negative. That deserves a positive.
  • If you contacted the seller as above but the seller's response was unsatisfactory and I had to open a claim, with PayPal giving the refund (they'd take the funds for the refund from the seller, but that's not the point) - then I would give a negative.
  • If you contacted the seller only by making a claim in eBay, and the seller refunded immediately through the claim, that's more iffy for me. I would probably give a neutral, saying something like, "Item was a counterfeit, but seller quick to resolve with refund." However, this is the least likely course of action I would ever take, because I believe very strongly in contacting the seller first without opening a case. By avoiding selecting "didn't recieve" or "return item" options, and just messaging the seller, I give the seller every chance to fix the issue.
  • If you contacted the seller only by making a claim in eBay, and the seller still didn't co-operate, and you were obliged to go to the Resolution Centre (effectively asking eBay to step in), and you received the refund by eBay issuing it (they'd take it from the seller, but that's not the point) - then I would give a negative.
  • If you contacted the seller through messages (not by selecting "I didn't receive the item" or "I want to return the item", but just a message), telling the seller of the problem, and there was no satisfactory response within 3 business days or so, and you opened a claim in PayPal itself (not eBay), and PayPal issued the refund (which they'd then take from the seller) - then I would give a negative.

Basically - if the seller acknowledged the problem (counterfeit item) and tried to fix the problem without my needing to open a claim, I'd give a positive.

If the seller issued a refund immediately after I opened a claim, I'd give a neutral. (Unless the seller messaged me with apologies or explanation or something of that sort, in which case I'd either give a positive or no feedback.)

If eBay or PayPal were the engine of my refund, given that the item was counterfeit, I'd give the seller a negative, as they've failed with the item, they've failed with communication, and they've failed with issuing a refund. (Refund was effectively forced upon them.)

My negative would be something like this (avoiding all mention of dispute or claim):

Negative feedback ratingCounterfeit item. Forced refund received (seller did not resolve). Cannot recommend seller.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

kaz3399
Community Member
Thank you everyone for your responses. It sounded like a Chinese seller though they claimed to be from Australia. Item was rather expensive ($75) and I didn't bother asking the seller I just went straight to PayPal (is a lot faster).
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Doenst really matter anymore if you leave negitive feedback. Ebay dletes it if its a big seller
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay only deletes is there is good reason. If what you put on there is the truth and to warn others of a dodgy seller, then I donโ€™t think Ebay will delete it.
Iโ€™d be leaving negative or even neutral feedback just on the basis they lied about their location
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@plant_hoarder wrote:
Ebay only deletes is there is good reason.

Not necessarily true, some large eBay stores have their own "account managers" and it's been reported here that they are able to have negs removed even if they don't break the feedback policy rules.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply