Manipulative Listing Prices

Sellers are doing this more and more often and it's extremely irritating! Here is an example:

<removed> 

They put two or more items in the same listing that have very different prices. I often sort my searches by 'Price + Postage - lowest first' and these items appear making me think I can buy the mini figure for $1.59, but then it turns out that is for the cheaper item, the 'poster' that usually comes with the mini figure anyway. No one would need or want to buy that 'poster', the seller just includes it in that listing to trick people in to thinking that the mini figure is cheap.

This happens with a lot of different products that I search for, whether it's action figures, jewellery or something else. Is this breaking eBay rules somehow? And are other people noticing this?

eBay, please do something about this!!

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Manipulative Listing Prices

5 years later and the same BS happens with no changes from ebay.  Disgusting. 

Message 21 of 41
Latest reply

An incredibly simple fix to this issue that almost stops me buying on ebay would be to sort the prices by the highest listed item, not the lowest.

Message 22 of 41
Latest reply

This is a solution I made but it is based on DaveInCaz and larsolafsimonsen's fantastic answers which I have used many times but no longer seems to work for me (possibly eBay changed the DOM as a mentioned suseptibility).

To remove listings with a price range (listing with variations):

1. Open up the developer console (F12 or right click > Inspect)
2. Click the "Console" tab
3. Copy+Paste the following and press Enter:

$('.DEFAULT').parent().parent().parent().parent().parent().parent().remove();

This is based on the eBay search results as at 15/05/2018. Listings with a price range have a span element between the two prices $xx to $xx with the class DEFAULT. This code looks up the tree to delete the node this came from. This will likely fail in future when eBay changes structure again.

Message 23 of 41
Latest reply

There are much easier work arounds, see your other comment.

Latest reply

or if we got organised we could start a facebook blacklist site for ebay sellers sho use manipulative pricing

Message 25 of 41
Latest reply

When you search items with specific price in mind, there are so many items pops up these day. But when you click on ad, price do not match what they are saying. Not sure what Ebay is doing on this.

@sc_freak19 wrote:

Sellers are doing this more and more often and it's extremely irritating! Here is an example:

<removed> 

They put two or more items in the same listing that have very different prices. I often sort my searches by 'Price + Postage - lowest first' and these items appear making me think I can buy the mini figure for $1.59, but then it turns out that is for the cheaper item, the 'poster' that usually comes with the mini figure anyway. No one would need or want to buy that 'poster', the seller just includes it in that listing to trick people in to thinking that the mini figure is cheap.

This happens with a lot of different products that I search for, whether it's action figures, jewellery or something else. Is this breaking eBay rules somehow? And are other people noticing this?

eBay, please do something about this!!

Message 26 of 41
Latest reply

Solution:
Step 1: Buy the $1 POS the seller is using to manipulate the listing.
Step 2: Leave negative feedback "fake prices"
Step 3: Everyone repeat until these jerks learn that price manipulators get neg-spammed out of business

Sure the seller gets a few bucks but there store gets torn a new one and they go broke, feedback is the only thing they actually care about so hit email where it hurts.
Message 27 of 41
Latest reply

@prankster06 wrote:

Sure the seller gets a few bucks but there store gets torn a new one and they go broke, feedback is the only thing they actually care about so hit email where it hurts.

That's not going to happen, particularly with Asian sellers, unfortunately. They are not called the "Teflon Sellers" for nothing.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 28 of 41
Latest reply

@brendanwildingaustralia wrote:

This is a solution I made but it is based on DaveInCaz and larsolafsimonsen's fantastic answers which I have used many times but no longer seems to work for me (possibly eBay changed the DOM as a mentioned suseptibility).

To remove listings with a price range (listing with variations):

1. Open up the developer console (F12 or right click > Inspect)
2. Click the "Console" tab
3. Copy+Paste the following and press Enter:

$('.DEFAULT').parent().parent().parent().parent().parent().parent().remove();

This is based on the eBay search results as at 15/05/2018. Listings with a price range have a span element between the two prices $xx to $xx with the class DEFAULT. This code looks up the tree to delete the node this came from. This will likely fail in future when eBay changes structure again.

2019, even more sellers are pulling this gig now.

Thank you very much for this code! It works great in Chrome. All dodgy listings are instantly removed.

Message 29 of 41
Latest reply

Six years later and eBay still allows this BS. As a consequence I now mostly use Amazon.
Message 30 of 41
Latest reply