Missing Parcel Mystery

Honestly - where do they go...and why?

It seems a recent purchase has apparently been lost in the mail.  Impeccable seller (and not from a country with a dodgy postal system), item would have no customs issues either, parcel is correctly addressed, letterbox big enough to take it (or a good safe drop place if it isn't)....but among all the stuff purchased lately it goes missing....and it's not rare or expensive either so I can't imagine who would want to steal it.

I wonder what happened to my purchase.  It's a mystery.

(Seller has promised to send a replacement - fingers crossed it turns up!)

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Missing Parcel Mystery

A package does not need to look suspicious to be opened by Customs.  They have always opened parcels randomly.

I used to get an average of 6 parcels a year opened and it always added about a week to the delivery time.  It is a few years now since it has happened.  I guess they decided after all those parcels with nothing untoward in them that they may as well try someone else.

Message 11 of 25
Latest reply

I waited for a parcel from the UK for 2 and half months before it turned up. I did lodge a missing parcel form with Australia Post even though the item had no tracking number. The seller refunded me my money but I was so happy and excited when it finally turned up the first thing I did was get in touch with the seller and paid them, otherwise I would of felt guitly. They too were very happy! I didn't receive any explanation from Australia Post about where it had been there was no extra postage stamps on the item except what you would expect from the UK to Australia. So who knows what happens?!?!?

I am again waiting for another parcel from the UK which I am about to lodge a missing parcel form with Australia Post. There is only another 13 days before I do a paypal refund for not receiving the item, however I am going to tell the seller to not send a replacement or not to worry, as if it turns up in another month or 2 I will pay them, or re-order another one after that amount of time. Although I do want it now!!! Patience is a virtue.

Message 12 of 25
Latest reply

I mentioned 3 posties, NOT everyone. I know you do good work otherwise we would not receive any mail.

I myself have been a postie on a rural run, so I know where you are coming from.

The op wanted to know why they went missing, this was just 3 reasons that I know of.

Message 13 of 25
Latest reply

You did begin your sentence with... "Posties can't read either..." , so I felt that you were talking about everyone... however as I mentioned in my previous reply, nobody is perfect so I do forgive you for your earlier remarks... all I wanted to express in my previous reply was that in life not everything and everyone is bad... there is good too, we just need to focus on it more often.

Everyday we read the newspaper and watch the news on television, or listen to them on the radio. Most of the time its all bad, sad, tragic or heartbreaking... we hear of health care workers abusing patients in nursing homes but rarely hear of the ones who devote their lives to providing them with compassionate and comforting care... we hear of men who are selfish and unfaithful to their wives, but very rarely do we hear about those men who work hard each day to provide the best they can for their wife and children. These men may not have much free time in their day but they still do what they can to be available to their families.

I know that I have ventured away from the original subject here, but all I would like to emphasize is that it is much nicer to look for and to appreciate the good in people and situations, rather than the bad...

Thanks for your reply

with kind regards

from Stella 🙂

Message 14 of 25
Latest reply

I'll wade in and say:

One 'postie' (or rather an AP contractor who delivers parcels) has the most atrocious handwriting.  Trying to decipher what a tracking or 'signed for' number is can be quite a headache (I get my parcels transferred to a different post office for collection so I need to be able to correctly interpret what on earth he's written). Smiley Frustrated

Message 15 of 25
Latest reply

IF the items was won on an auction and the winning price was low you may find they are more often 'lost in the post' (i.e. never sent). 

Another scam allows the seller to take the money, consolidate it with other ill gotten gain, and put it in a short term account.  When you eventually complain that you didn't receive it they refund the money, keep the interest, and no one is wiser.

Message 16 of 25
Latest reply

The winning price wasn't that low. Smiley Frustrated  My original purchase still hasn't turned up (and I think it s probably safe to say it isn't going to).

The seller has sent a replacement.  After a week the seller e-mailed me to ask if I had received it yet.  I replied that it was a bit too soon (knowing how long stuff from overseas can take).  Now it's been 2 weeks and no sign of it yet.  If it doesn't trun up after three weeks I wonder if this is one purchase that may be jinxed.  Once again - fingers crossed!

Message 17 of 25
Latest reply

Good morning,

I've just been reading your new post here about your missing parcel and it brings back some memories of a parcel that I never received early this year... The country of purchase was the U.K. which in past years had been wonderful... usually I would order something from the U.K. items ranging from books, magazines or promo dvds... and they would arrive within a week and definitely no later than 10 working days... this was back during 2008 till 2012... and then all of a sudden I found that it would take longer to receive anything from there...

Early this year I placed an order for a book from a respectable bookseller in the U.K. through Ebay of course... it wasn't expensive but after 3 weeks it hadn't arrived... I contacted the seller and he sent me a replacement book... after 4 weeks the replacement book arrived but the other one did not.... since then I avoid as much as possible buying anything from the U.K.

However the U.S. Postal Service has definitely improved over the years... with items that I order taking approximately 10 working days to arrive which I find pretty good...

Now back to your concern about the missing parcel/parcels.... if the second one doesn't appear there is definitely a problem somewhere... no jinx involved... but something not been done the right way, or someone not doing their job properly... human error is possible in the event that the parcel has been sent to a different country due to incorect address labelling by the seller.... or because the address or post code was not read correctly...

If I was placed in this position, I would contact the seller again and try to find a way to solve this.... after all you did pay for goods and a service and so far you haven't received your goods.... therefore it is time to receive some service....

A  seller that cares for their customer, will give a refund without being asked and ultimately this is what the seller should do if none of the parcels arrive soon.

Hoping something good will come from this for you

with kind regards

from Stella 🙂

Message 18 of 25
Latest reply

The seller and I have been in communication, and once I let her know there was a problem in the beginning she sent a replacement.  I confirmed the address is correct, but the original item never came and it's now 3 weeks since the replacement was posted.  Too late for a claim but I am not concerned about that.  I'd rather have got what I paid for, the money was not as important.  I still think the problem is with the postal service but what tracking there was, apparently does not extend to tracking the parcel in Oz.  Ah well.  There's another week or so of hoping I guess.

If it doesn't turn up I will let the seller know but I will just write off this purchase and not bother with feedback.  It's a pity if it doesn't turn up - for both of us really as I hoped to buy more items.  These things happen.  I am satisfied with what the seller has done to date but if the problem is beyond her control (and mine) then sometimes you just have to give up and let it go.

Message 19 of 25
Latest reply

I do ,agree with you on what you wrote... and sometimes we can only do our best, and when we know we did our best, then that is all that matters in the end. There isn't much anyone can do when something is out of their control. .. but if it was sent and addressed correctly then it has to go somewhere.  You mention that the seller has treated you with respect and that is very good... also it is excellent that you value what she did for you... most people would feel very bitter at this point but you have an understanding heart which is rare to find in people nowdays...

Just like you wrote... these things happen... personally I believe things happen for a reason and you never know, your parcel might just arrive soon... I pray that it does for you.

with kind regards

from Stella 🙂

Message 20 of 25
Latest reply