Missing Purchase

For the first time in I can't remember when, it appears something I bought isn't going to turn up. Rats.

It's a UK purchase, only around $20 spent including postage, and was paid for and posted over a month ago.  I've just received the last of all my other UK purchases (and most were bought after this item) so it's not looking good.

The seller has great feedback so I'm guessing the postal system is the most likely culprit.  No tracking I think (one of the questions I will ask) but I wasn't bothered as I've rarely had an issue with Royal Mail and as I said, all my other UK items have arrived.

Now...I want to send an enquiry to the seller (in case for whatever reason the item is returned to her) but I dimly remember reading somewhere on the boards that choose the wrong question and eBay gets involved and sellers get penalised or something.  It's just an enquiry, it's only $20  and while I hope it will turn up  I'm not planning to throw a tantrum and berate the seller about it.  Stuff happens.

Advice on contacting the seller without causing any issues would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Missing Purchase

Selecting the option of not received will automatically open a dispute and freeze the funds. If you don't want to open a dispute, use the "ask about using my item or I want to ask the seller a question" option (worded something like that). You are safe with that option.

I will use that to let them know that up to this point the item hasn't arrive, but this is just a courtesy message and I am happy to wait a bit longer (Chinese you need to really enforce, DO NOT REFUND YET!). If it still hasn't arrived in the next week or 2 I send another message saying it still hasn't arrived. Most sellers are then happy to refund, especially if the item is untracked.

If they don't issue a refund, then you need to open a dispute. I think I've only had 3 or 4 things not turn up out of thousands and thousands of items. The sellers refunded no questions asked. One of the items turned up something like 5 months later, so I repaid the seller. I know I probably didn't need to after all that time and the seller would never have known, but my conscience wouldn't let me keep both the item and the money. I hate my conscience sometimes!

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Selecting the option of not received will automatically open a dispute and freeze the funds. If you don't want to open a dispute, use the "ask about using my item or I want to ask the seller a question" option (worded something like that). You are safe with that option.

I will use that to let them know that up to this point the item hasn't arrive, but this is just a courtesy message and I am happy to wait a bit longer (Chinese you need to really enforce, DO NOT REFUND YET!). If it still hasn't arrived in the next week or 2 I send another message saying it still hasn't arrived. Most sellers are then happy to refund, especially if the item is untracked.

If they don't issue a refund, then you need to open a dispute. I think I've only had 3 or 4 things not turn up out of thousands and thousands of items. The sellers refunded no questions asked. One of the items turned up something like 5 months later, so I repaid the seller. I know I probably didn't need to after all that time and the seller would never have known, but my conscience wouldn't let me keep both the item and the money. I hate my conscience sometimes!

Thanks for the advice (and also from other posters).  Much appreciated.

Being an optimist, I will probably give it another week or so but at least Iknow what to do if I have to contact the seller.  I knew there was something I must NOT do when choosing a contact seller option. 🙂

I haven't lost many purchases over the years but my experience has been whether it is tracked, untracked or sig required doesn't seem to make much difference as no postal service can guarantee 100% success rate.  Unfortunately this missing item is not something the seller is likely to have a replacement handy.  However, thankfully it was an impulse buy, not a collectable.  Phew.

I had an item not turn up (vintage, expensive for what it was) and I contacted the seller and we decided between us that I would lodge a claim through PayPal and would use the day before the final closing date as the 'give up it's not going to turn up' day of action.  I also gave an undertaking (in my PayPal messages) that if it did eventually turn up I would repay the seller.  The 'day before' finally arrived and the seller refunded the money.  Around five weeks later (I think - it was a while ago) the parcel turned up, battered and a bit torn but the contents undamaged.  I wouldn't be surprised if it had been in a battle with a postal sorting machine to look at it.  It was a great moment for both of us when I gave the seller the good news and sent her the money.  We were both collectors and it was the item that mattered, not the money, so it was great that it had finally arrived.

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

if it's royal mail signed for, aus post can track it

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

@gem-boy-g wrote:

if it's royal mail signed for, aus post can track it

Yes I know.  Looking at what I paid for postage I doubt it is signed for, which I usually avoid anyway if the seller uses it as it is such a pain if I miss the delivery. 🙂

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

Just an update....

Based on advice received I contacted the seller without opening a case, and gave her the bad news.  She sent me a scan of the receipt but the RM reference no couldn't be tracked in Oz (I phoned my local PO and AP customer service to check).  There's no possivility the parcel was wrongly addressed as it had been entered on the receipt.  Cheeky Royal Mail website tracking details said the parcel had been 'delivered to the address or a neighbour'.  They wish!  (And me too!)

Anyway, after a few discussions the seller said she would refund the money and this was done this morning.  Naturally I said, if it eventually turned up I'd repay her.

I can't help wishing that now that I've got my money back, with all the irony of it happening, mysteriously my purchase will magically arrive....especially as I haven't found a replacement on eBay or anywhere else.  Sigh.

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

All fingers & toes crossed it eventually turns up for you or that you find another one Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

@mbselections00 wrote:

All fingers & toes crossed it eventually turns up for you or that you find another one Smiley Happy

UPDATE!!!

My missing parcel arrived today safe and sound. 

Blame Royal Mail.  Over the years I have bought pottery and other breakable items from the UK (and other countries) some quite old, without any incidents.  This item was a chunky modern inexpensive glass paperweight.

The seller had packed the item perfectly, with all the right postage, customs form, address etc.  But somewhere along the lines there was a Royal Mail rule that I and presumably the seller had no idea about.

Across the front of the parcel was a big orange sticker that said:

DO NOT FLY.

THIS ITEM/BAG CONTAINS GOODS WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED TO FLY.

SEND BY SURFACE MAIL ONLY.

Royal Mail.

I have already repaid the seller and given her the good news (including Royal Mail's reasons).

You learn something new every day but I've bought more fragile items than this so I'd never have guessed this was the issue.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

What absolute codswallop.....a glass paperweight should not have to be sent by Surface Mail.

There must have been something in the wording on the Customs Declaration that rang alarm bells somewhere.

I am very glad it finally turned up though....and I bet the seller was too.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

The customs declaration said Glass Ornament, with the weight, value, signature etc all filled in.

The item was wrapped in bubble wrap, surrounded by scrunched up newspaper, in a squareish box which was then wrapped in brown paper.  Nothing odd there either.  Declaration and my address were handwritten but neatly. 

The orange label was added after the customs form and the printed stamp as it crosses the corners of them both.

Maybe someone at the post office was having a bad day? Smiley Mad

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

It certainly sounds like it, doesn't it.

At least you now know how long Surface Mail takes from the UK.....about the same as it was taking 12 years ago when a seller sent several items by Surface Mail because they had under quoted the airmail postage.Smiley LOL

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply