Missing Purchase

For the first time in I can't remember when, it appears something I bought isn't going to turn up. Rats.

It's a UK purchase, only around $20 spent including postage, and was paid for and posted over a month ago.  I've just received the last of all my other UK purchases (and most were bought after this item) so it's not looking good.

The seller has great feedback so I'm guessing the postal system is the most likely culprit.  No tracking I think (one of the questions I will ask) but I wasn't bothered as I've rarely had an issue with Royal Mail and as I said, all my other UK items have arrived.

Now...I want to send an enquiry to the seller (in case for whatever reason the item is returned to her) but I dimly remember reading somewhere on the boards that choose the wrong question and eBay gets involved and sellers get penalised or something.  It's just an enquiry, it's only $20  and while I hope it will turn up  I'm not planning to throw a tantrum and berate the seller about it.  Stuff happens.

Advice on contacting the seller without causing any issues would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Missing Purchase

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

For the first time in I can't remember when, it appears something I bought isn't going to turn up. Rats.

I'm not planning to throw a tantrum and berate the seller about it.  Stuff happens.

Advice on contacting the seller without causing any issues would be appreciated.

Very commendable zanadoo - if only all buyers were so thoughtful & considerate.

Do as kopes has suggested - when you select Contact Seller - use Other (I think is the wording) or I want to ask a question about the item, no repercussions for the seller that way Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Missing Purchase

When choosing to message the seller, don't select the topic as Not received item.

Just choose to ask the seller a question.

There have been a lot of parcels arriving late from what I have heard.

So good chance it may still turn up.

image host
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

Kopes how does asking the seller a question effect their score at all? Isn't the question topic just for convenience? Surely picking the topic that it hasn't arrived wouldn't be any different to any other options. Would only go pear shaped when you open a case then ask eBay to step in.
Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

Incidentally 2 U.K. Parcels of mine, one sent regular and one sent tracked arrived within a couple of days of each other only 10 days or so from the listing closure.
Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

It shouldn't, but UK site may function a little differently and eBay make changes so often.

So better to be on the safe side and select a non specific problem when messaging.

If Item not received is selected as a topic in messaging, options appear on the Aus site and sometimes a buyer can select the proceed to solution (or whatever the words are) not meaning to and enter their question within a case without realizing.

I think this is what OP has read.

image host
Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

It shouldn't, but UK site may function a little differently and eBay make changes so often.

So better to be on the safe side and select a non specific problem when messaging.

If Item not received is selected as a topic in messaging, options appear on the Aus site and sometimes a buyer can select the proceed to solution (or whatever the words are) not meaning to and enter their question within a case without realizing.

I think this is what OP has read.

I'm pretty sure that is all it takes to Open a Case these days Smiley Sad  I had it happen to me recently and the buyer was horrified and so apologetic . . . . . . . she maintained all she tried to do was send a message.   I sent her a copy of my proof of postage, for her peace of mind that her order had been sent, and of course a refund which she said she didn't expect, she just wanted to let me know the item hadn't arrived, but of course, once the Case was opened, I basically had no choice, because by memory I was only given 4 days to find a resolution, which isn't even sufficient time to resend & have the buyer receive.  In the end, I ended up with a very unhappy buyer - thanks to the 'system' (although she did leave positive feedback).

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

I'm not planning to throw a tantrum and berate the seller about it.  Stuff happens.

Very commendable zanadoo - if only all buyers were so thoughtful & considerate.

Do as kopes has suggested - when you select Contact Seller - use Other (I think is the wording) or I want to ask a question about the item, no repercussions for the seller that way Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

Yep,

There is a hold up with some of the mail from the UK, I dont know why, but I am also waiting on an item from the Uk posted over a month ago (Not ebay, but from family)... so it could possibly turn up yet.

Re: messaging, do as Kopes suggested.  🙂

cheers

xxj

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

HI.

think of tis way. it your money.

As a seller I have to accept that if i send an item untracked that some times the item may be delayed or get lost. 1%

I try to cover myself by adding a small handling charge to each untracked order.

I expect the buyer to be Honest and if the item turns up, repay the funds.

If the item turns up before the end of the case, close the case.

also great to ask the seller questions, as soon as the item is reported as a case the item money, postage is frozen from the seller account.

hope this helps, buying anything has it risks using an untracked postal service.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Missing Purchase

Just to clarify, contacting a seller in such a way that opens a case doesn't specifically give them a defect or anything like that, it's only if the case remains unresolved and the buyer escalates it to eBay that they'd get a defect (assuming they don't have proof to dispute the claim). 

Some sellers definitely still baulk at a case being opened, so it's a nice and considerate thing to be wary of that, but I think you will find that not all of them do, and in some cases they'd prefer it and/or direct you to do so. (When the issue is genuine, anyway - obviously they're not going to like it if it's a false claim of INAD or INR. The only time I'd prefer people not to open cases when they haven't received an item is when they'd rather have a replacement, as I can't send one with an open case for the item). 

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply