Multiple personalities!

neilonlyneil
Community Member

I have been looking at buying a brand of sunglasses.

I've noticed that the brand I am looking at buying is being sold via a seller who appears to have a number of different eBay accounts.

The advertisements are all exactly the same in appearance and wording, the accounts are all in Melbourne, but they're all fairly recent accounts with feedback of 20 or less or thereabouts.  There's lots of them so it can't be a situation where one person has copied another's listing.  The photographs are even the same in layout despite the sunglasses being different designs.

I cannot think of a reason anyone would do that.

Is there a motive I am not aware of?  Do I need to be wary of buying from one of these sellers?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Multiple personalities!

alot of people have multiple accounts for various reasons, not sure why they need multis to sell identical products though, their store fees would be through the roof.

Unless they're doing it for the 30 free listings per ID. Hmmm

"I thought an Android was something from Star Wars"
- Mum
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Multiple personalities!

The sunglasses are probably fakes, but if you want them that badly just make sure you pay with PayPal and whatever you do, don't let the seller string you along until your 45 day window for opening a dispute has run out..

It woudl also help to pay with a credit/debit card if you have one, that way if you need to open a dispute and for some reason it isn't successful, you can always do a chargeback through your bank.

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Multiple personalities!

alot of people have multiple accounts for various reasons, not sure why they need multis to sell identical products though, their store fees would be through the roof.

Unless they're doing it for the 30 free listings per ID. Hmmm

Yes, 30 free listing per month is one possibility, or because they would not be able to list the same item twice on one ID.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Multiple personalities!

AFAIK, seller's aren't allowed to use multiple IDs to circumvent the duplicate listing policy - are they designer brand? Often there are selling limits placed on new sellers and they're restricted to very few brand-name products until they build up a history of good feedback for them, so that's another reason why one person would do that.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Multiple personalities!

Do I need to be wary of buying from one of these sellers?

BTW, seller's with multiple accounts is common, and that in itself isn't an immediate cause for concern - sometimes what they do with them is, though.

The circumstantial evidence isn't particularly favourable here, but not necessarily damning. On the one hand, they may welll be a genuine seller, unaware of (and/or frustrated with) certain listing policies that seem to be restricting their activities unecessarily (to them). Personally, I think there's a good, maybe better, chance that the sunglasses are fake and they're selling what they can while they can.

Don't forget the old adage - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is (especially if the price is well below average value).

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Multiple personalities!

neilonlyneil
Community Member

Yes, they're designer brand and selling for $200 below retail value so the old adage is probably true in this case.

Thanks

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Multiple personalities!

I have noticed some funny going's on in Toongabbie?..but I think that's in Sydney, not Melbourne, 😉

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Multiple personalities!

yes I have also Koala, but he seems to be above ebay rules.

And if you question him you get abusive emails.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Multiple personalities!

Throwing mud is not the best way of building a house.

Why do it then?

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply