Paypal refund from seller but not via dispute.

trishreid88
Community Member

Hi all, just need to know what to do next please.
I had an item I bought over 1 month ago that has not arrived. I have been in contact with the seller, who has been great and I advised them I would open a dispute with paypal so as to give us both extra time for the item to arrive but still be protected (45 day window)
Dispute was opened today and the seller has not responded via the dispute but HAS refunded my money.

The  problem is that the seller has sent me the money as if they are a buyer so paypal has taken a fee from this. Is this right?
Also does this mean because it is showing as a payment from a buyer rather than a refund from the seller, does this mean they could potentialy put in a claim to get this money back?

I have only ever had to do one other paypal claim and the payment was refunded through the dispute process, much different to what is now showing.
What should I do next?
Thanks

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Paypal refund from seller but not via dispute.

Not only have you had to pay a fee the seller will not receive a refund of the fees they paid on the original transaction. You could also continue with the dispute, escalate to a claim and get your money back again and the seller wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I would email the seller and explain that they were unwise to refund in that manner and that you will continue with the dispute and once the refund has been received through the dispute you will refund their other payment. If you would rather do it now then refunding their payment will not have any impact on you continuing the dispute.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply.
What I am most concerned about is can they make a claim against me on this payment?
If so have they made this payment via mistake or is this intentional to get me to close the dispute and then they claim their money back leaving me high and dry.

On paypal when I click on details for this payment (from the seller) a box comes up that says.

What should I do now?

• Contact the buyer to confirm the purchase
  • Save all correspondence with the buyer

Following these guidelines can help protect you if a claim is filed for an unauthorised payment or items not received.

Tips to sell securely

Seller Protection

Not Eligible

Protection for items not received

Transactions without a shipping address aren't eligible for seller protection. We recommend that you contact 胡 仲全 to make sure this payment was authorised. For more information, see our tips to sell securely.

We have no shipping address on

This obviously has me concerned.

And this is the message I got from the seller.

dear friend
please accept mny sincerly approgize again
i am very sorry for the shipping time, you know no one can control it
now i have refund all you money back WITH THIS RING , you can also check 96P288923R282661A

you know i am not only lose money but also my ring
when you have receive the parcel in the future,hope you can receive my money back
(please not leave me bad or neturol feedback)
hope you can understand and forgive me

if you need any hope in the future,hope you can contact me in advance
i will also try my best to serve you well
you are a good buyer and hope i can serve you again
have a nice day
best wishes

I want to do the right thing but is this seller trying to pull a swifty or are they just mixed up with how the system works (I think it is the first)

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

I suspect the seller is Asian with limited understanding of English.   Just refund the payment he has sent you and continue with the paypal dispute.

You can try explaining it to him but it might be like bashing your head against a brick wall.

I doubt that he is scamming you but he can not do so if you just leave it to paypal to process the refund.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Hmmm They have made a mistake I think and not actually refunded you, but made a payment to you.

Chances are the item will still arrive (I've just had something from Hong Kong turn up after 1 month) and I don't think that is all that unusual.

Possibly the seller won't understand when you refund their payment, but I'd go ahead and refund the payment and then go through the dispute process so the final transaction is at least tidy. IMO

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks
I have refunded the payment and made a comment with the refund. Have also responded to their email stating the same using simple sentences. Hopefully they will understand. I am thinking maybe they are just as worried as I am that they are going to have no ring and no money.
I have had other rings from different sellers (similar location) turn up in the past few days that have taken a month to arrive but I bought these after this ring in dispute.

I did mention to them before I opened the dispute that I did so to allow extra time for it to arrive but I guess they did not understand that. I think they are more worried about me giving them negative FB but I wouldn't do that even if the item arrives late. No big deal as long as either it does arrive or I get a refund.

On a side note.
If they do refund me and then the ring arrives later, how would I go about giving them the money back?

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

you can send money from your paypal account to theirs - all you need is their paypal email address and you have that

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

What I am most concerned about is can they make a claim against me on this payment?

Why are you concerned about that? You are going to get a refund through the dispute approximately 10 days after you escalate to a claim so them making a claim against that payment would have not meant you were out any money.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

PJ, I meant if I closed the dispute and accepted this direct payment as the refund.
That way I wouldn't get any money via the dispute. I assume based on what comes up on paypal with this other payment that seems to show as they bought something from me and it says I have no seller protection so would that mean they could make a claim against it?

But that does not matter now as I have refunded the payment and asked the seller to refund via the dispute. I got another message from them and they are of the understanding that refnding via the dispute can harm their account. I am assuming they mean ebay selling account. Again I replied and tried to explain.
I think I am just going to wait until next week and hopefully the item will arrive. If not I will just escalate to claim.
Going by their FB they have done this a few times. Not sure if it is just a language barrier or if they actually no what they are doing.
If they just don't understand I would still leave +FB as long as I have either my item or refund. But if I think they are doing this on purpose then I would rethink what FB to leave.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

please read past the typos oops

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply