Peeved off with eBay and Pay Pal over return shipping costs.

I purchased an over coat from China and used the sellers measurement chart to get my size… you guessed it when it arrived it was at least 2 sizes too small. OK not a problem send it back get a full refund. NO…. why? I have to pay for the return shipping. I checked Aust Post online and it will cost me anywhere from $26 to $53 depending on the level of tracking I want/need for Pay Pal to refund.

I paid $55.99 so after taking into account the shipping cost for me to send back I end up with from $29.99 or $2.99.

**THIS IS NOT FAIR**

I did not do anything wrong I used the seller’s measurement chart, I paid immediately, I did everything right but I am being penalised. I can understand if I made a mistake like ordering the wrong size, which I did not, or colour or just did not like it then yes I pay for return shipping BUT I did not so in my opinion the seller is at fault and should be held responsible for the return shipping. Is it that eBay and Pay Pal won’t change this because they stand to lose out on fees? So much for buyer’s protection. It’s about time eBay and Pay Pal reverse these unfair policies and does what’s right for buyers.

Oh and just one more rant Asian postal service is so bad you would be better off with the old “slow boat from China” I reckon that would be faster.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

There are a lot of reasons why it's good to buy from Australian sellers 🙂

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

You should have taken their offer of 50% back and then relisted it to make up the loss.

If you buy an item from the shop they will not cover your costs to return it.

This is another good reason why one should purchase from Australia.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I think this is Paypals normal policy, you need to prove you have returned the item before PP give the refund. In your case it sucks, but at least you know everyone has to go through the same thing.

There's plenty of things I wont buy from China, clothes would have to be up the top. The thing is, most Asians are smaller than most Westerners, (not trying to sterotype, its just the way of the world) and this is reflected in their clothing sizes. ie a Chinese size 8 would not fit a Western size 8.

Support Aussies, buy from Aussies! 😉

"I thought an Android was something from Star Wars"
- Mum
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

dungogvolts - I do sympathise, that is so frustrating.

How about relisting it with its true measurements on ebay au, you may get all your money back that way because many many buyers (as stated above) won't buy clothing from OS because of the problem you have experienced. However they do buy from honest Australian sellers. Certainly worth a try, especially if it is a nice coat.

Another advantage is - Australian postage is so much faster than OS.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

You did nothing wrong but you did do something ill advised. If you read the Paypal policies when you signed up as you should have done you would have known that you would need to return anything at your own expense to get a refund.

You could also have sent it back using ordinary airmail with click and send which would only have been $1.50 on top of the regular airmail price.

I would never buy clothing from Asia and expect it to fit, it rarely does but I just resell, usually for a profit, anyway as I have only bought because they were very much cheaper than buying domestic. I would give the seller the chance to refund in part or to pay for return postage but if they refused I would just leave them a neg and move on.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

You could also have sent it back using ordinary airmail with click and send which would only have been $1.50 on top of the regular airmail price.

Does that satisfy Paypal's requirements regarding proof of sending, and if so, what would be the cost to send an item weighing less than 250g to mainland China via that method?

I recently had to return an item to Shenzhen in China, and the minimum charge for an item weighing up to 250g when sent via Registered Post International, which satisfies Paypal's delivery requirements, is $20.50.

I'm extremely curious as to how that compares with click & send's price for the same service.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I have also bought something from China that came 2 sizes too small; I accepted partial refund, listed it myself with my photos and correct measurements, and made 50c profit 🙂

To send it back would have been more than price of the item.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

A coat would weigh more than 250g which is why I said they could have used click & send.

For under 250g you would have to use a lot of packaging to bring it up to that weight :^O

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I purchased an over coat from China and used the sellers measurement chart to get my size… you guessed it when it arrived it was at least 2 sizes too small. OK not a problem send it back get a full refund. NO…. why? I have to pay for the return shipping. I checked Aust Post online and it will cost me anywhere from $26 to $53 depending on the level of tracking I want/need for Pay Pal to refund.

I paid $55.99 so after taking into account the shipping cost for me to send back I end up with from $29.99 or $2.99.

**THIS IS NOT FAIR**

I did not do anything wrong I used the seller’s measurement chart, I paid immediately, I did everything right but I am being penalised. I can understand if I made a mistake like ordering the wrong size, which I did not, or colour or just did not like it then yes I pay for return shipping BUT I did not so in my opinion the seller is at fault and should be held responsible for the return shipping. Is it that eBay and Pay Pal won’t change this because they stand to lose out on fees? So much for buyer’s protection. It’s about time eBay and Pay Pal reverse these unfair policies and does what’s right for buyers.

Oh and just one more rant Asian postal service is so bad you would be better off with the old “slow boat from China” I reckon that would be faster.

Did you remeasure them yourself and see if the lengths matched up to what the seller had on their listing page?

phorum_junkie, is it legal to ask for a full refund (of the item price, postage, and including the buyer paying your return postage) for an item that doesn't match the description? From what you said, PayPal forbids that but I wonder if it's legal or not to ask.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply