Postage from USA - why so expensive?

I have pretty much given up buying avything from the USA. Are their overseas postage fees really that exhorbitant at the other end? We are talking $25 - $30 for very small packages, compared to around $10 - $15 equivalent delivery method from the UK.

Message 1 of 150
Latest reply
149 REPLIES 149

Re: Postage from USA - why so expensive?

I really do not care if he takes any notice of me or not.   Until such time as his posts are removed for having incorrect information I will continue to give the correct information for those who need it.

Message 81 of 150
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

Best thing to do terroxyboy is to ask a seller to please send the item via Fiest Class International and explain the reason why..

But only if the item is under $400 value and weighs less than 4lbs.

Please stop espousing USPS First Class International as a way to avoid using the GSP.  Many, many items are not suitable for this service and the seller would have to use one of the much more expensive USPS Priority services.

Lyndal1838, you may notice here ...  that terroroxyboy was talking about small packages ....

"I have pretty much given up buying avything from the USA. Are their overseas postage fees really that exhorbitant at the other end? We are talking $25 - $30 for very small packages, compared to around $10 - $15 equivalent delivery method from the UK"

I was replying in relation to small packages and offering a more economical service. At no stage were we talking about larger packages.  Thanks.

Message 82 of 150
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I really do not care if he takes any notice of me or not.   Until such time as his posts are removed for having incorrect information I will continue to give the correct information for those who need it.

Removing posts ? What for? I haven't said anything incorrect!

Again with regard to ....

"terroxyboy
Postage from USA - why so expensive?  

on ‎08-04-2013 10:44 AM 

I have pretty much given up buying avything from the USA. Are their overseas postage fees really that exhorbitant at the other end? We are talking $25 - $30 for very small packages, compared to around $10 - $15 equivalent delivery method from the UK"

My reply was

"Best thing to do terroxyboy is to ask a seller to please send the item via Fiest Class International and explain the reason why.."

Nothing incorrect there!  This is referring to small articles to which I decided to reply to... 

And as for our most compassionate lovely natured chatter below

tippy*toes*
"in reply to lyndal1838

5 hours ago  

Awwwwww, Lyndal, don't tell him that (again). Let him find out the hard way, which will give him something else to whinge about"

A big yawn there is all I can manage.  Have a lovely evening.

Message 83 of 150
Latest reply

Maybe in this case the USPS First Class is appropriate but you have been advocating that buyers ask sellers to use the service in preference to the GSP no matter what the item is or the size.

Once you get to larger items the GSP is often a cheaper and better option than the USPS Priority or Express services that the sellers would have to use.

Message 84 of 150
Latest reply

I would imagine that in the 4 years since this thread was started, Terroxy has probably got postage from the US sussed out. He's a pretty smart guy and knows how things work.

As for small things, you've been carping on about posting tuners, amps and all sorts of large items and still ranting about first class international being the way to post. Clearly you have not read any of the posts that state anything over 4lb can't be posted using first class. That's 1.8kg. In other words, not much when you're talking about things like speakers and other.

Spoiler
I've got 3 dead horses at the ready if anyone is interested. flog a dead horse.gif

Message 85 of 150
Latest reply

I have pretty much given up buying avything from the USA

Me too. About 2-3 years ago, postage from the US became exhorbitant on eBay. Amazon is a little different, some items are really cheap to send, others expensive, and weight/size is not the factor.

Message 86 of 150
Latest reply

@mark.wooba wrote:
I have pretty much given up buying avything from the USA

Me too. About 2-3 years ago, postage from the US became exhorbitant on eBay. Amazon is a little different, some items are really cheap to send, others expensive, and weight/size is not the factor.

All postage from the USA went sky high a few years ago.

If you mean the GSP shipping then you can avoid buying from sellers who use it....just like most of us do.

Message 87 of 150
Latest reply

Did anybody resolve the quesiton on WHY postage from the USA to Australia is so expensive? I have recently(2 days ago) been successful in an auction for a previously worn silk shirt at the price of $US2.00 however the postage quoted is $US23.86. The seller has stated that this is for International Priority Shipping which Includes international tracking. I have replied and asked IF she can use a cheaper postage service since I don't need this item urgently. I have had no reply. This postage rate is almost 11 times the value of the item!. Any comment on why it is SO expensive? 

Message 88 of 150
Latest reply

Sorry if you think I am rude but have you actually read the previous 87 posts on this thread?

You have to draw your own conclusion as the why you think a postage method is expensive.   You cannot decide the postage is expensive just because it costs more than a $2 item.

Is the seller using the GSP....that is a Priority international service with tracking.  It is also a courier service.  Many sellers would not sell internationally without using it.  If that is all you are being charged for that service then you have a bargain.

If it is USPS Priority International then you also have a pretty good deal.  You would have known the postage cost before bidding....if it was too expensive you should have asked before bidding and if the seller insisted on sing that service you should not have bid at all.

I still think you have a bargain....a silk shirt for $26 is good value.

Message 89 of 150
Latest reply

I disagree that in general, postage from the USA to Australia is expensive. I order items from the USA every other week, and often the price to get something sent here is only marginally greater than it would be for me to post that item within Australia.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 90 of 150
Latest reply