Posting back to sender using "return to sender" method?

I recently asked for a return because the product was not performed as expected, the seller put this message in ebay return process. This is a valid way of posting it back? I won't have tracking or anything.

we are sorry for the inconvenience brought to you. In this case, will you kindly send the item back to us for full refund? Please put the

product into the old parcel we sent to you and write " return to sender" on the envelop then go to the local post office to post it back to us. In that way, you don't need to pay the postage for the delivery and it will be back to us . When you post it please let us know then the refund will be arranged for you soon. Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

It's not quite legal even though it does go on.

You are correct though, you won't have any tracking therefore no proof of returning item. If item gets lost in mail etc you'll have no proof that you returned it.

Ask seller for a return postage label, stick it on the package and your local PO will scan it for you and give you a receipt as proof of return.

The seller may then decide it's cheaper/easier just to give you a refund and let you keep item.

If seller refuses just open an 'item not as described' dispute.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

You have accepted the parcel and opened it. Either the sender or yourself are required to pay return postage. Australia Post is not going to ship the item back free of charge. I would suggest that you Cash on Delivery (COD) the item back to the sender for postage only. The sender will be charged the COD fee and return postage upon collection, the post office will also provide you with a paper record to prove that you returned the item.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Yeah send it back COD. if the seller doesn't accept it then the buyer is going to foot the massive bill.
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

It's not quite legal even though it does go on

Not so, a couple of years or more ago AP started offering a return to sender service for opened parcels, the postage is paid by the seller when they receive the parcel back. I do not know if any tracking or proof of postage is available for using the service, if there isn't then it would obviusly be unsuitable for returning a faulty item.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

It's not quite legal even though it does go on

Not so, a couple of years or more ago AP started offering a return to sender service for opened parcels, the postage is paid by the seller when they receive the parcel back. I do not know if any tracking or proof of postage is available for using the service, if there isn't then it would obviusly be unsuitable for returning a faulty item.

Do you know if that service is still around? It would mean buyers no longer have to fork out $$ for return defective products.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

AP have a return parcel service for sellers, but you have to register

and it costs $95 per year

http://auspost.com.au/business-solutions/parcel-returns.html

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

The announcement of the RTS sender did not say anythig about it needing registration or any payment, as I said I doubt if it would be suitable for ebay and Paypal returns as you could not prove posting unless it gets a new tracking number and the sender gets an AP docket.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

"Either... is" not "either... are".

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

So you dragged up a nearly 3 yo thread to correct the grammar!!

Nice going.

Don't visit forums much?       angry smiley.gif

Grammar (and spelling) is the first thing to be ignored, otherwise you'd go insane

with your OCD

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply