Price jacking before sales

Does Ebay monitor sellers before sales are annouced for price jacking which is illegal?

Its common practice on Ebay for sellers to jack up their prices before a sale. recent "PUPGRADE" sale is just an example. Can we be given tool to see price histroy of an item so we can catch these illegal sales practices?

Just makes Ebay sales rather pointless

<Removed>

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

❝If a business has a policy or practice of discounting goods when not on sale and uses two-price advertising in relation to sale periods, there is a significant risk that the use of two-price advertising will involve conduct that is misleading. The business would be representing to consumers that they will make a particular saving if they purchase the item during the sale period, when this is not necessarily the case.

Similar considerations apply to the specification of dollar amount or percentage savings such as 60% off.❞

- ACCC (Displaying prices)

It's illegal (in breach of Australian consumer legislation) to raise the price just before a discount is offered, in order to mislead consumers into thinking they are saving $xx.

Dr Michael Schapter, Deputy Chair, ACCC (2014) explains was/now - aka "price-jacking".

A SPECIFIC EXAMPLE: Kogan pays $32,400 penalty for alleged false or misleading representations in a Father's Day promoti...

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

I think the key term in cupboards' post is 'private seller'.

Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

Yes. I should have stressed that what I quoted was just in terms of a business.

I was really focusing on the sorts of sellers mentioned by digital*ghost (where an eBay discount code applies to specific sellers only rather than being site-wide), and of course those sellers would definitely be businesses. Mea culpa - I should have added that yes, private sellers can do what they like with listing prices, so far as I'm aware.

Aha! I've just found a very reasonably-priced copy of Near Eastern Archaeology: A Reader.

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

Well done. I hope it's not from a UK dropshipper. Although I have had no problems with my one purchase (better than described, at less than 1/3 of value), the main two don't always deliver as described.

Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

It's not. (I think I know the one you mean, and I prefer not to purchase from that seller... WOB?)

The seller is in Oregon, and as I have other items sitting with my parcel forwarder there (also in Oregon), I've used that address in the interests of getting this more quickly. 

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

That's the one. I had a supplier in the US, but I'm fairly sure they aren't in Oregon

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

You don't need any history to see the price jacking, every single tech item I have ever seen on sale is listed at 10%-15% above RRP and then you get 20% off that, leaving you with around 8%-10% off in reality. That is the kind of disccount you could find on most products any day of the week. Ebay is actively participating in deceptive marketing in conjunction with sellers like <Removed>and <Removed> to name 2 of many. Its a shame, and the sellers don't care. <Removed> simply rationalised it as being "better than nothing" and that was fine with them. 

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

You're not allowed to name and shame on the boards.

The moderator will slice and dice your post and then it won't mean much.

Welcome to the boards.   yahoo-funny-smiling-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

Still going on and no recourse through Ebay, these are powersellers on Ebay and Ebay plus program even. For examples I'm looking for Nividia RTX video cards.

if you press report item from

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/reporting-price-gouging-ebay?id=51...

GTXa.jpg

its takes you to report page but no option to report price gouging

GTX1.jpg

just before the sale went live price was increase exact amount that discount states

GTX2.jpg

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

Chat support function non functional. There is no email or way to contact support to report price gouging. 

GTX3.jpg

Message 30 of 30
Latest reply