Price jacking before sales

Does Ebay monitor sellers before sales are annouced for price jacking which is illegal?

Its common practice on Ebay for sellers to jack up their prices before a sale. recent "PUPGRADE" sale is just an example. Can we be given tool to see price histroy of an item so we can catch these illegal sales practices?

Just makes Ebay sales rather pointless

<Removed>

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

@asymmetry0 wrote:

Yep, there is annocemnt day before and vendors jack up the prices same % as as or slightly less than the sale price. 

^No its illegal

Are you saying that ebay announces the sale in advance to give sellers time to up their prices?

Please let us know where ebay announces the sales in advance....I usually find out well after they have started.

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

The only way the OP can know prior to a sale starting is if they are a seller ,and have been alerted to the sale themselves.

Otherwise, like I said.....ebay sales/coupons are random, as far as I know.

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

That is what I thought too Stawks.....but the OP seems so sure that there is a conspiracy that I would like to be in on it.

Also, not everyone gets the same offer/voucher so how do sellers know to up their prices?

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

Unless the 'large B & M stores' - who get their negs removed regularly - are informed

a sale is due.

??

We'll never know...................nor can we prove it

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

(Not replying just to imastawka...)

I recall a thread last year in which a poster said that something of this nature was happening.

At the time I didn't think that sellers were made aware of upcoming discount vouchers, but the statement was made that there were discount vouchers on eBay which were essentially a collaboration between the seller and eBay, whereby the seller paid half of the discount voucher amount and eBay paid the other half. It was in connection with a ... Lego seller...?

I've no direct information about whether these sorts of discount arrangements are actually made. However, if they are, and if the seller/s concerned are increasing their prices to coincide with the timing and amount of the portion of the discount they would pay, that opens a can of worms.

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

Kogan got hit with $30000 of fines years ago on ebay for doing this.

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

At the time I didn't think that sellers were made aware of upcoming discount vouchers, but the statement was made that there were discount vouchers on eBay which were essentially a collaboration between the seller and eBay, whereby the seller paid half of the discount voucher amount and eBay paid the other half. It was in connection with a ... Lego seller...?

That was me - I've mentioned it numerous times on similar threads, but I'll say it again - site wide discounts, that can be applied to any purchase, are not the same as discount codes that only apply to selected sellers.

The sellers are not selected at random - of course they participate willingly and know the discount is about to be provided.

Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

@asymmetry0 wrote:

Does Ebay monitor sellers before sales are annouced for price jacking which is illegal?

Its common practice on Ebay for sellers to jack up their prices before a sale. recent "PUPGRADE" sale is just an example. Can we be given tool to see price histroy of an item so we can catch these illegal sales practices?

Just makes Ebay sales rather pointless

<Removed>

A couple of fairly accurate tools are already available. Both show in the menu on the LH side of the page when you view " sellers items for sale " or " see other items ".

. The first tool is " completed listings ". This is probably the best as it will show the last finishing price of items that are listed for auction or a fixed period ( but not Good till cancelled ) as well as all sold items. Fixed period listings are now being phased out by ebay, so this wont be so useful in fututre.

The other tool in the menu is " sold listings " which shows every item sold by the ID within the last 90 days I think it is. If the item has sold it will show up and you can see the price it sold for in green. If the item sold with acceptance of a " best offer ", you will only see the asking price, not what offer was accepted.

These are probably not perfect, but they may be a big help in addressing your concern.

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

. The first tool is " completed listings ". This is probably the best as it will show the last finishing price of items that are listed for auction or a fixed period ( but not Good till cancelled ) as well as all sold items. Fixed period listings are now being phased out by ebay, so this wont be so useful in fututre.

You can still view sold listings when they are GTC and haven't ended.

The sales histoy of an item will display not only the prices (unless the item was sold as an offer), but also the exact date and time the item was sold. If an ebay-supplied code was used, it will show the full sale price, but if a seller offered discount was applied (eg buy one, get one at 10% off), it will show the discounted price. 

The screenshot below is from the sales history of an item I recently bought - my purchase was the $33.11 one, because a seller-offer promotion applied - I also used a 10% discount voucher, but that's not reflected in the price.

sales history.PNG

Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

I’m not sure there’s a law saying a private seller can’t increase their price either before or during a sale.
Message 20 of 30
Latest reply