Profiteering on eBay

tvol3640
Community Member

Why is eBay not doing anything about profiteering by mainland China based sellers hawking "Australian Stock" toilet paper from Australian locations at inflated prices back to Australian buyers at inflated prices. You only have to have your eyes open to see people of Chinese appearance systematically video surveying supermarket aisles so that masses of their friends can empty whole shelves of selected products (e.g. toilet paper, laundry detergent, canned tomatoes, pasta, rice, flour, etc.) and then resell them from their warehouses in Australia to the unknowing public at inflated prices: https://ebay.us/JiOifG

https://ebay.us/fVbFAF

EBay should take a leaf out of Amazon's book and ban these sellers: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

Ebay is complicit in this profiteering on the back of the coronavirus.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Profiteering on eBay

It is only profiteering if the items are sold for way over market price and actually paid for. Why "Australian Stock"? If they are in fact getting their minions to strip supermarket shelves, the stock would definitely be Australian, without quotation marks.

I doubt it is exclusively Chinese sellers, either. You are bordering on racism. I could be wrong, but I don't hang around supermarkets looking for alleged profiteers.

You are about a fortnight late with your whinge.

Try reading the buying and/or selling boards. There a many threads about this that predate your addition. Even if they aren't racist.

Edit: $23 for a 12-pack delivered is likely to give the seller less than usurious returns. Postage would eat up most of the difference between cost and sale price. Then there's eBay and Paypal fees. Or don't they count?

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Profiteering on eBay

How are they China-based sellers if they're physically in Australia? You've said they're actually going into the supermarkets and buying it so they can't be based in China.
Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Profiteering on eBay

tvol3640
Community Member

Yes, the stock is Australian and located in Australia, but if you look closely at the seller's details it says "based in China". I'm not being racist and the point is not even the price, but the fact that local supply chains have been at least disrupted and at worst hijacked by foreign state actors. If you're not concerned about that then you should be.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Profiteering on eBay

go-tazz
Community Member

Here are just two items out of other threads in regards to eBay stopping the sellers that are trying to cash in on

the hysteria.

So next time please read other threads before starting yet another one on the same subject and see that your

post is now just another frivolous post on the same subject that has already been covered by other posts.

Toilet roll selling at outrageous prices as coronavirus hysteria causes shortages

As fears over coronavirus continue to mount across the world, some opportunistic Aussies have been trying to capitalise on the outbreak.

"Responding to a person selling three 50ml bottles of Dettol hand sanitiser on its platform for AU$45 (ยฃ23), an eBay spokesperson said the firm โ€˜does not allow sellers to list items that attempt to capitalise on disaster or tragedyโ€™.

โ€™ โ€œWe have updated our filters to block listings in breach of our policy and are regularly sweeping the site to remove such items.โ€

eBay is continuing to monitor global developments associated with COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and what it means for eBay sellers. Here's what you need to know at this time.

• Rules for listings: We love that people can buy anything on eBay in times of need but we don't allow listings that attempt to capitalise on disaster or tragedy. Please ensure that your listings comply with eBay's policies.
Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Profiteering on eBay

I understand eBay USA have along with amazon withdrawn toilet paper and hand sanitizer ads where the sellers are clearly profiteers. Why isn't eBay australia following suit? Obviously the lure of the almighty dollar is too strong to resist and I would classify eBay Australia in the same despicable self interested group as those black marketeering scum

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Profiteering on eBay

I've said it before on one of the dozens of threads about this subject....

They can only profiteer if someone buys it.

Otherwise they're stuck with it.

If someone wants to spend hundreds of $$ on toilet paper, then they're idiots.

Ebay Australia is doing what it can - if you'd bothered reading earlier posts, or other threads.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Profiteering on eBay

an abc radio spokesman was saying not to buy at all, TP from ebay sellers. People power will shut them down.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Profiteering on eBay

@4green2000 wrote:

an abc radio spokesman was saying not to buy at all, TP from ebay sellers. People power will shut them down.

Bit rough.   What about the genuine sellers, who're trying to make a living?

And coincidentally, were selling TP long before all this started.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Profiteering on eBay

how can you allow such profieering on hand sanitiser ?

it is criminal IMO

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply