Seller Cancels Auction Sale After Item is Paid for. / Bargains Depend entirely on Goodwill

ra157
Community Member

Last Friday I had the interesting experience of winning a Nikon 1 J3 mirrorless camera with two lenses at a very good price. I immediately paid for it with Paypal. 19 minutes after the end of the auction, the seller then cancelled the sale, citing the reason as,
I'm out of stock or the item is damaged".

Plainly she wasn't out of stock, and it strains credulity that she suddenly discovered the camera was found to be damaged within 19 minutes of my winning it. I reported the seller to Ebay.

Ebay's response included,

"I assure you that I have warned the seller and we will monitor their account to make sure that if they continue to cause bad-buyer experiences, we will take further actions which could lead to restrictions or even indefinite suspension."

As best I can see it – sellers can break their Ebay conditions and their contract with me with impunity.

Plainly, if this pattern is repeated by a frequent seller, Ebay will do something. But it appears that casual sellers never have to worry about getting what they perceive to be a dud price for their item. If they do, they can just cancel the sale and claim the item was damaged.

To make matters worse, the camera was listed as not having a charger, which I bought from another seller after winning the camera. Despite my requesting that he cancel the order, it is on its way to me, and I have paid $10.98 for a useless charger.

Anybody else had this type of  frustrating auction experience?
Regards,
Renato

Message 1 of 303
Latest reply
302 REPLIES 302

Seller Cancels Auction Sale After Item is Paid for. / Bargains Depend entirely on Goodwill

You are getting all worked up over nothing. Maybe the seller really did go to package up the item you bought and found that it was damaged, or maybe they did realise that they wanted more for it so decided not to sell it to you. Either way just take it on the chin and move on. Even if you are a bit disappointed, is it is really something that is going to ruin your life? 

A seller is not required to cancel an order just because you changed your mind, that seller has already been charged for the sale when you bought. And, some sellers immediately package up when an item is sold and cannot cancel.

Latest reply

I am very glad you are no longer a seller, if you think ebay son't do enough for buyers the way ebay treat sellers would make your toes curl

You will be happy to know if this sekker used the out of stock option, they will have gotten a defect on their account right away

Also, this is a newer seller with one sale in the last month (yours), in all likelyhood, they followed ebay's suggestion to them that they start the bidding at 99 cents

Also wondering how you know 100% for sure this seller was lying?

As mentioned above, the seller may not have seen the damage until they went to pack it up for posting

I guess such a thing has never happened 

Still, you can take comfort in the fact that you reported this person and have trashed their account with you red dot and also posted about them here

You have had about all the revenge you can get so I am not sure what else you are after

The seller of the charger has every right not to accept your request to cancel, even *if* they had not sent it, they have nothing to do with your experience

Why not sell it yourself once it arrives?

Message 3 of 303
Latest reply

That's Life!

Message 4 of 303
Latest reply

Your feedback says "great price!" and your post here says "very good price". You also say that the seller would have perceived this as getting a "dud price".

It was not just a great price/very good price. It was an unrealistically and unbelievably low price, considering the usual price of these cameras. Even just buying the body costs about $100 more than your winning bid.

There are multiple fakes of this camera listed for sale by Chinese sellers on eBay, with prices about 3 times your winning bid.

No wonder you were male-chicken-a-hoop. (Oh, for goodness' sake! I had to edit an innocent little hyphenated term.)

I'm not surprised that the seller was so unhappy with this price that he/she would rather not sell at that price.

The seller didn't even realise that by selecting "out of stock or damaged", his/her account would receive a seller defect. Or perhaps they did realise, but would rather wear that defect than give away an expensive camera for less than a quarter of its selling price.

I can understand that you're upset, but unless you want to take the seller to court to enforce the contract, there is nothing you can do. Even if you did take the seller to court, the seller could say that upon inspecting the camera after the bidding ended, they noticed a defect in the camera (even perhaps just a small scratch) which they hadn't noted when listing, and upon that basis they cancelled the sale.

Giving negatives and reporting sellers for non-performance is your prerogative; eBay allows you to do these things. However, what did you think would eventuate as a result?

• You couldn't have thought that the seller would have a change of mind and contact you to say "You can have the camera at that price."
  • You couldn't have thought that this was worth the thousands of dollars it would take to bring the case to court.
  • You could have thought that the seller hadn't suffered enough by getting a defect.
  • You could have thought that it wasn't enough to simply give the seller a negative on what very clearly (as you even acknowledge) an account mostly used for buying but as a seller was just a casual eBay seller. (Your negative feedback is, however, fair, and accurately worded.)
  • You could have thought that it wasn't enough that your feedback brought down the seller's percentage to 83.3%.
  • You could have thought that relating the failed purchase on the eBay community forum would see the seller pilloried - but I truly hope that is not the case, as you may simply have been venting on missing out on a bargain saving you hundreds of dollars.

ra157, I think you have allowed your disappointment at not getting an absolute steal to assume too great an importance. I perfectly understand that you must have been over the moon at getting such an incredible bargain... but at some point surely one would realise that the only thing jumping over the moon is a children's nursery rhyme cow. Perhaps the most important thing I learned in Negotiation and Conflict Resolution was that in a fair price neither the buyer nor the seller feel taken advantage of. The final price might be a little more than the buyer wanted to pay, and a little less than the seller wanted to receive, but if the scales are too heavily weighed one way, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

By the way, you do point out one consequence of a withdrawn sale that is definitely more than just annoying - in that the buyer might make plans or perform actions on the basis of that winning bid which put him/her out, cost him/her money, etc. Of course the charger that you bought is a low-cost item; thankfully you haven't suffered a major consequence (which could have happened).

A quick google returns a result for that camera model - good condition, reasonable price, US seller.

Message 5 of 303
Latest reply

I understand your frustration. A few times when I sold and had the item at a low starting price, the auction didn't attrack enough bids. So the buyer was lucky to get a bargain. I went through with the sale and put it down to experience. Anyway good karma always comes back as a result of making a buyer happy.  I still remember a buyers surprise when buying an audiophile chubby checker LP from me that I listed as Ex minus or VG + and he emailed me back and said  ...  "THE ITEM IS MINT". Just noting his happiness was a good thing. 

Anyway, enough of my rambling  ,, ,, ,, ,, ,, ,, You won the item fair and square so the item should be yours. Full stop!

Message 6 of 303
Latest reply

Even *if* the seller happens to be telling the truth about it being damaged?

Once again we are only taking a buyer's word for something over the seller with zero proof either way other than being based on "the buyer thinks the seller is lying so it proves they are without doubt"

I will believe the OP in this case when the seller re-lists the camera at a higher price

Otherwise it makes no sense the seller would gladly cop a defect, a red dot when they have very low sales already and then *not* re-list the camera

Message 7 of 303
Latest reply

By choosing the reason that the seller did for cancelling the seller has gotten a defect. These do affect a seller's account negatively (neg feedback does not), so they are not able to do such things with impunity.
Message 8 of 303
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

Even *if* the seller happens to be telling the truth about it being damaged?

Once again we are only taking a buyer's word for something over the seller with zero proof either way other than being based on "the buyer thinks the seller is lying so it proves they are without doubt"

I will believe the OP in this case when the seller re-lists the camera at a higher price

Otherwise it makes no sense the seller would gladly cop a defect, a red dot when they have very low sales already and then *not* re-list the camera

I have no reason to doubt ra157 . I see ra157 left a negative that goes along the way to confirming what was said. 

A friend of mine had exactly the same issue some years ago. Seller sold the item for a low price because nobody else bid in the auction then a miraculous chain of events happened from the item being dropped on the kitchen floor then being put out in the bin for collection.

Sellers don't like not getting a good price for an item and I can understand this. But the proper practice is to wear whatever happens and if the customer wins an item at a low price then that is the way it is.

Message 9 of 303
Latest reply

Hi Maranock,
         You say
"or maybe they did realise that they wanted more for it so decided not to sell it to you."

So you agree that Sellers are entitled to break contracts with impunity?

An odd position.
Regards,
Renato

Message 10 of 303
Latest reply