Seller asking for item to be returned after SNAD case closed & refund issued

metal-pie
Community Member

I recently opened a SNAD case for an item i received that was DOA  I received a message from eBay to say seller was unable to buy a return label & to contact them to arrange return postage, followed by another eBay message to say seller had refunded me in full...

Now, I am being asked by the seller to return the item.. they have offered to pay my return postage with cash upon return of the item & are now pestering me for a tracking number. 

What are my obligations.. I really don't feel comfortable sending the dead item back at my cost. Can somebody please advise how to respond to the seller?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Seller asking for item to be returned after SNAD case closed & refund issued

If they are located in Australia, there's really no reason they can't process a label and send it to you. If I have to pay for postage on a return, I confirm that the buyer has access to a printer, then process a label through Click & Send and send a copy of the PDF containing the label to their email address - buyer prints it, attaches to package, and posts (you should be able to get a 3kg flat rate satchel at the post office, I'm not sure if they can be purchased singularly, as I buy them in bulk online, but as suggested above, if they don't have access to a printer or what have you, I send out a satchel with the printed label). 

As a seller, this is preferable for a number of reasons, it usually helps guarantee faster return, I have the tracking number up front so I can be alerted when it's posted etc, and also means if the label is not used, I can get a refund, which I couldn't do if I send the buyer funds for postage and they don't return the item. 

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Re: Seller asking for item to be returned after SNAD case closed & refund issued

@padi*0409 wrote:

Is this the same seller that was originally refusing to accept a return?

Sorry padi I forgot to reply to your response, yes same seller... I just don't trust them to refund my postage...

After reading other board members replies I think i'll politely ask the seller to either send me a pre addressed satchel, email me a click n send label or (i'm not sure if it's allowable) they can send me a payment of $13.80 via PayPal

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

seller should comply afterall no one can physically force you to send anything back, they have no leverage.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

digital*ghost that's all well and good if they have set up click and send. Not everyone does sufficient volume to bother.
Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

Volume doesn't really have anything to do with it, though? At least, there's no volume requirements unless you also go for a Business 250 membership, and eBay doesn't have to be linked, either, so there's no actual 'set-up' required.

Opening a C&S account is as simple as registering on any website and takes about 2 minutes, then perhaps another 2 minutes to create and pay for a label. (You can even create labels without creating an account, but you can't pay for them online so not suitable for forwarding to someone else). 

Edited to add: Besides which, a seller could always use the "Print Postage Label" option on eBay for the item in question, and simply change the delivery name and address to their own, as you can save a PDF of those as well. The only downside to that is on eBay, the labels have to be cancelled within 5 days if they go unused, which isn't long enough to determine confidently whether a buyer will or won't use the label, though you could give them a 5 day time limit I suppose. 

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

The problem with asking for the return post funds or a satchel before you send it back, from the sellers point of view, is that you might just choose to keep the item and the funds/satchel. That's not really fair. Better to use the eBay process which guarantees you'll get your money back after.
Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Update - I messaged the seller & politely asked if they could either send me a Click & Send label or transfer $13.80 (cost of a 3kg satchel) to my PayPal account so I could purchase a satchel to return the item.

Seller replied saying they had refunded the total amount which included postage via PayPal... When the case was closed I received the price of the item inc my initial postage.. There was no extra funds to cover return post.

I'm getting a bit frustrated... I can't seem to get through to the seller that if they want the item returned it's their responsibility to pay return postage!!! 

I would have returned the item at my cost with an agreed amount via ebay messaging for the seller to reimburse me as black*poppy suggested, but the way this seller is handling the returns process, that is no longer an option.

If anyone can suggest a polite way I can respond to this seller & firmly tell them they have to pay for their item to be returned If they want it back, I will be extremely grateful 🙂

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Well, you have the original purchase price & postage refunded which is the main thing.

If the seller is not responding to your messages with any agreed set amount you can spend on returning the item, there is no way on earth I would be posting it back as I very much doubt you will be refunded another cent by this seller. If they can't respond properly now, they won't once they have the item back.

First up, I would work out how much it would cost to return it to the person, with tracking etc then I would do as poppy suggests and ring or contact ebay.

Poppy said:

Either way, you need to have an agreement from either ebay or the seller how much they will reimburse for the return post before you send it back. 

So maybe contact ebay, see if they will come to an agreement and I personally would want it in writing. From what i read in another thread, Ebay may even be able to generate the return label for you & bill the seller later, I am not sure.

If you don't get it, don't send.

If the seller gets stroppy and asks when you are posting it, just reply that you are happy to return it but they need to send you a message agreeing on another refund for $xx (an agreed amount) for return postage before you can post it off.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

Ask the seller to either send you money for the return postage via bank deposit or send you money via PayPal (ask them to send it to friend rather than as a service or you will be charged fees). Get a quote from the post office if unsure of the cost.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

@designers*n*more wrote:

Ask the seller to either send you money for the return postage via bank deposit or send you money via PayPal (ask them to send it to friend rather than as a service or you will be charged fees). Get a quote from the post office if unsure of the cost.

Thanks guys for the replies I last messaged the seller a week ago and told them if they want the item back it's the sellers responsibility & asked for postage costs either via PayPal or to send a click & send label. So far they haven't replied. I'll give it another couple of weeks and send them a final reminder & if still no reply I'll bin the item.

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply