Seller cancels bids when auction almost over then relists with higher starting price

negan
Community Member

This has happened a few times. An auction is almost ending, I have the highest bid. I then get a notice saying the seller cancelled all bids. Then I notice the same item is re-listed with a higher starting price. The only viable reason I would think someone would do this is to try and get a better price for their item, but isn't that the point of starting an auction is that you choose the lowest starting price you would accept? There seems to be no consequnce for sellers who do this.

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Seller cancels bids when auction almost over then relists with higher starting price

eezipeezi888,

of course, you have every right to feel the way you do, as do I. As do all of us.

But  somehow I just can't seem to summon  up any enthusiasm  for "sales" like that and share your view on this subjest:

Taking advantage for personal gain at someone else's expence.

Message 11 of 35
Latest reply

@eezipeezi888 wrote:

Pigs **bleep** what are you talking about?

A sale is a sale and it wouldn't worry me the slightest if I got them all for 99c.

Wouldn't offer another cent lol.

Their loss is my gain seriously.

I would be sleeping like a baby.

With all those pretty dresses haha

I'd say a lot of buyers are exactly like that but given you view it purely as a business experience (which it is), why do you think the seller should view it any other way?

At 99c it is not a viable business sale so better for her to cancel it.

Message 12 of 35
Latest reply

I sold and it was a business sale and I did sell a huge amount starting with 99c and I dam well honoured the sales when they only sold for 99c.

Bad luck for me and it should have been bad luck for this seller also it's as simple as that.

This seller can cry all they want but they still should have honoured the sale and by not doing so a red dot can still be given.

It don't matter if it was only 99c you have to take the good with the bad.

And because there is the power to cancel a sale then of course you will won't you,but then you'll come across as a sore loser that won't

honour a sale.

People have been around long enough to know that if you start an auction at 99c then be prepared to sell at that price,and don't make

excuses for being so cocky in the first place.

Message 13 of 35
Latest reply

@negan wrote:

This has happened a few times. An auction is almost ending, I have the highest bid. I then get a notice saying the seller cancelled all bids. Then I notice the same item is re-listed with a higher starting price. The only viable reason I would think someone would do this is to try and get a better price for their item, but isn't that the point of starting an auction is that you choose the lowest starting price you would accept? There seems to be no consequnce for sellers who do this.

happens to me all the time. yesterday i was bidding on led bar lights for 4x4 work and seller canceled 3 of the lights i was bidding on. same seller cancels many per week. i got use to this action as it happens quite frequently.

auctions were started at 99 cents but quickly got up around the $40-50 mark and got canceled with days still to go.its not that none had bids. weird..Man Frustrated

Message 14 of 35
Latest reply

I agree that if a seller was experienced and routinely ran auctions at 99c, always cancelling them if they didn't go high enough-that would be a cynical way of running a business & worthy of a red dot. In fact I am not sure how long they would last on ebay.

But is that what happened in your case? Was the person very experienced-as a seller?

I know you may have honoured your 99c sales but I'd be willing to bet you never put up a bundle of 9 new dresses at that price.

Really, sellers should start their auctions at a sensible price, one they would be willing to accept if there is only one bid, that's the bottom line. But some don't & to be honest if I were that seller, I probably wouldn't sell at 99c either for that auction. It's a business deal, after all. I'd relist higher.

Message 15 of 35
Latest reply

At no stage did I say anything like "Not my fault, sellers fault", and definately not embarrassed.  I have listed items for that amount, sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't but I have never not honoured a sale.  I don't know how long they were listed for, but as I said, I put 2 bids in, one at the asking price and one quite a bit higher.  Seller and I have messaged each other, she was honest with me, I accepted her apology and at no time have I even considered leaving bad feedback, she was not new at selling either, but obviously had taken eBays advice on listing low.  I have no problem bidding, winning and paying for anything if seller lists too low.    

Message 16 of 35
Latest reply

Maybe she didn't realise that the fees just on the postage was close to $1.20, plus the 9c from the sale price, then the PayPal fee (2.6% from memory), plus PayPal's 30c. She would have taken a loss. 

Message 17 of 35
Latest reply

bran8192
Community Member

Still happens to this day.. was about to pick up a holo 25th anniversary Charizard for $100 (auctions are averaging about $150-250) off ebay user and of course as its almost finished after a week he decides to cancel it because "my apologies, there was a nick on the card making it not qualify as mint." then surprise surprise a few days later relists the exact same card with the description; "Card is as presented in new condition, sleeved as it was taken out. No marks nor issues." and is now up to $150.. its a dog act and royally **bleeps** people off.

Message 18 of 35
Latest reply

It's interesting that you are a seller of those types of items and you are complaining about another seller cancelling bids, which they have a right to do, where you would possibly have won the item for around half its value.

As to the damage claim, maybe they had 2 of those cards in the first place.

G'day Stawks. Yep, bring it on Stanley.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 19 of 35
Latest reply

G'day Padi

Strange, I looked at the named seller's items - didn't see any cancelled/sold items at all?

What am I missing?

And yes, sounds like sour grapes.

Message 20 of 35
Latest reply