Seller cancels bids when auction almost over then relists with higher starting price

negan
Community Member

This has happened a few times. An auction is almost ending, I have the highest bid. I then get a notice saying the seller cancelled all bids. Then I notice the same item is re-listed with a higher starting price. The only viable reason I would think someone would do this is to try and get a better price for their item, but isn't that the point of starting an auction is that you choose the lowest starting price you would accept? There seems to be no consequnce for sellers who do this.

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Seller cancels bids when auction almost over then relists with higher starting price

Nope, I didn't see any cancellations either Stawks, but I've got a feeling that cancelled items don't always show nowadays. Hmmm................

Edit. Some of those cards are selling for $500 + so definitely sour grapes I reckon..............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 21 of 35
Latest reply

Probably right.

For some reason I have months of sold items that don't appear either.

Message 22 of 35
Latest reply

@bran8192 wrote:

Still happens to this day.. was about to pick up a holo 25th anniversary Charizard for $100 (auctions are averaging about $150-250) off ebay user and of course as its almost finished after a week he decides to cancel it because "my apologies, there was a nick on the card making it not qualify as mint." then surprise surprise a few days later relists the exact same card with the description; "Card is as presented in new condition, sleeved as it was taken out. No marks nor issues." and is now up to $150.. its a dog act and royally **bleeps** people off.

------------------------------------------------

Hi bran8192, I am very sorry to hear of this. Sadly this is an occurrence that happens often. A seller needs to honor the winning bid no matter how low it is. That's the name of the game.  You are 100% right to be peeved!

Uncool practices don't belong on eBay.

Message 23 of 35
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@bran8192 wrote:

Still happens to this day.. was about to pick up a holo 25th anniversary Charizard for $100 (auctions are averaging about $150-250) off ebay user and of course as its almost finished after a week he decides to cancel it because "my apologies, there was a nick on the card making it not qualify as mint." then surprise surprise a few days later relists the exact same card with the description; "Card is as presented in new condition, sleeved as it was taken out. No marks nor issues." and is now up to $150.. its a dog act and royally **bleeps** people off.

------------------------------------------------

Hi bran8192, I am very sorry to hear of this. Sadly this is an occurrence that happens often. A seller needs to honor the winning bid no matter how low it is. That's the name of the game.  You are 100% right to be peeved!

You obviously didnt read the OP, or bran8192 comment,  it neither case were there any winning biuds, so your argument is wrong.

Just where is Stanley when you need him

Message 24 of 35
Latest reply

.. .. .. ..

.. .. .. ..

@bran8192 wrote:

-----------------------------------------------

@4channel wrote:

@sugar249 wrote:

You obviously didnt read the OP, or bran8192 comment,  it neither case were there any winning biuds, so your argument is wrong.

Just where is Stanley when you need him

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

4channel reply:

I obviously did read the OP and bran8192's comments. Yes I realize  that "  it neither case were there any winning biuds," but a seller must honour the winning bids and not sabotage an auction to finish early to avoid presenting the item to the winning bidder. So my argument is  input is right!

And Stanley?

Here's Stanley. Stanley Wade bass player for The Trammps

The Trammps - "Where do We Go From Here"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IswQxCfWjo

The Trammps - "Hold Back the Night"
And an older Stanley without the bass (Second from left on your screen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oVXkP0y2bQ

Philly stuff you know.

Message 25 of 35
Latest reply

No, you read the posts and then invented your own version of what happened in the non transaction like you always do

Seems you wanted the seller to send a damaged item and then have an item not as described dispute opened against them

Your input is as it always is, based on your fanciful opinion rather than any facts whatsoever 

Message 26 of 35
Latest reply

@sandypebbles    wrOte:

No, you read the posts and then invented your own version of what happened in the non transaction like you always do

Seems you wanted the seller to send a damaged item and then have an item not as described dispute opened against them

Your input is as it always is, based on your fanciful opinion rather than any facts whatsoever 

-----------------------------------------------

Reply, himm. Hello sandypebbles? Nice of you to come to  sugar249's aid. I have invented nothing.  Going on what the OP and bran8192 have posted, I have replied accordingly. and if bran8192 didn't have an issue with the seller's practices then they wouldn't have posted what they did.

When I was selling I always there to honor any bid low or high.  Good things done right bring reward in the long run anyway. Having compassion for a buyer is a good thing as they are not going to walk away feeling done in. I have dealt with some liars and crooks on eBay. I know what it feels like.

Message 27 of 35
Latest reply

And in one case when selling, when I re-examined an item and wasn't happy with my initial grade, I made it right with buyer before sending.

That's what it's supposed to be all about.

Message 28 of 35
Latest reply

I suspect the whole story is not coming out here, firstly bran8192 is a seller of Pokemon cards and knew very well the expected price of the one they were after - which ranges from $200 to well over $500 on completed and current listings.

Secondly from what I remember the seller was a newbie and had a low start price with a BIN, so could well have not realised that once a bid is made the BIN disappears, also even though the same or similar card was relisted nobody knows if the seller indeed had 2 of them.

Sure it can be disappointing to have your bid cancelled, it's happened to me, but it is certainly within the rules for it to be done and particularly if the seller is inexperienced and is unaware of auction policies. As has been said bran8192 was upset that they didn't win the card at $100 which they could easily have made a handsome profit on, being a seller of those cards themself. But there are others out there if bran8192 wants one, it's just that they are listed at a realistic collectors price.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 29 of 35
Latest reply

I believe that normally a seller should honour a sale, but I do think there can be exceptions and that's particularly the case for a newbie. As you say, if they mistakenly start an item with a low price & BIN, they may not expect the BIN to disappear.

They could  even have thought they had set a reserve.

Or they could list something and only later realise how much that item is really worth.

It is annoying when sellers don't take the time to learn how things work on ebay and if they keep making the same mistakes then I'd have very little pity on them, but at the same time, I don't expect sellers to sell at a massive loss.

As a seller, I remember occasionally covering small losses where we made an error (usually in postage price) but I think for a huge mistake, I'd probably cancel a sale or auction too, to be honest.

Message 30 of 35
Latest reply