Seller hassling me to change feedback

I recently purchase a coat that was supposed to be Size 18-20(AUST) wool blend. I got the coat no problem but the size was 14 and it has no wool I am sure. I used to work in textiles and I'm 100% sure it's not wool.

I gave a neutral feedback but wrote about the wrong size. Much of the neg & neutral feedback complaints are about size and quality. The seller wants to refund me $5.00 to change the feedback. They have now contacted me 4 times about it.

Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: Seller hassling me to change feedback

I haven't looked for Trust And Safety for a while and I can't find it either. Sorry about that.

Try Customer Support in the top right corner of this page. There is a link there to contact ebay.

Tramps like us,
Baby we were born to run....

Bruce Springsteen
Message 11 of 58
Latest reply

why not look at the $5 offer as a starting point to bargain for more?

once your happy with the amount of a partial refund, a balance that your comfortable with so you can confidently relist the item to get your money back including the cost of postage, and some for your time?

then revise the FB. im sure the seller would be willing to negotiate  

Signatures suck.
Message 12 of 58
Latest reply

No seller is allowed to try to bribe a buyer.

I thought I'd read that ebay encourage sellers to offer an incentive, like a partial discount, when asking a buyer to revise feedback.

The hassling is inappropriate if you have already said no, and due to the fact that the jacket is too small, the $5 refund is inadequate (unless the listing had measurements?). But I dont personally see a problem with a seller offering a full or partial refund dependant on what the initial problem was.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 13 of 58
Latest reply

The listing does have measurements. Does the coat match the measurements given?

Message 14 of 58
Latest reply

I had an experience like that, best is to list the coat yourself with correct measurements and description & hopefully you get your money back.  Ask for $15 back and list it starting price $20; that should workout OK for you, you might even make a profit. 

Their measurements are certainly not anywhere near what I would expect for 16.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 15 of 58
Latest reply

why not look at the $5 offer as a starting point to bargain for more?

once your happy with the amount of a partial refund, a balance that your comfortable with so you can confidently relist the item to get your money back including the cost of postage, and some for your time?

then revise the FB. im sure the seller would be willing to negotiate  

I have read threads on these boards before where a buyer agrees to a partial refund in return for feedback revision only to find that once the feedback is revised the refund is not forthcoming.

If you go down the path of 'revision for refund' make sure you get the refund first.  Regardless of the content/promises in eBay messages you can't make the seller refund, but if you revise your feedback and no refund happens you will not be able to reinstate the original feedback.

Message 16 of 58
Latest reply

kettlebakedchips
Community Member

"why not look at the $5 offer as a starting point to bargain for more?"

Because that is blackmail !

"Nothing succeeds like excess!"
Message 17 of 58
Latest reply

No, that is not a black mail.  The OP has not received item in the correct size; they are unlikely to re-coup the initial cost unless the seller refunds part of their profit.  $5 is a joke.  The OP has a full right to ask for whatever they think is fair compensation.  That is provided that the coat is not the measurements stated in the listing - but in my case, some measurements were as much as 10cm out. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 18 of 58
Latest reply

Good Grief, they didn't take the OP's first born child - Grow Up

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 19 of 58
Latest reply

IT IS BLACKMAIL PER SE! It does not matter if it seems justified or not. It is still blackmail. To request a monetary payment to change feedback is blackmail.

If the buyer offered to remove the feedback upon return and refund of the item that would be completing the transaction. The seller offered $5 for the buyer to change the feedback and the advice given is to use it as a starting point to ask for more money to change the feedback.There is no mention here of return of the item for a refund which would not in itself mean that the feedback need be revised. That is a separate issue. A request for any cash payment under the threat to preform or not to perform an act is BLACKMAIL.

Now I would never side with the seller on this issue. I beleive the buyer is in the right. But thats beside the point. Even if you are in the right it does not change the definition of the meaning of a word or in this case a criminal offence.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

Message 20 of 58
Latest reply