Seller not sending item and not offering a refund

I bought a model car for $110 from a seller and it was a pre-order as the model hadn't been released yet. However, the car was released sometime around the 1st week of May, and the seller messaged me saying he hasn't received it yet and will send it to me as soon as he receives it. That was during the first week of May.

He messaged me again on June 16 saying he hasn't received it yet and has refunded the money to my credit card.

I didn't receive any refund notification and after checking my account, I can see there is no refund.

I messaged the buyer again and he responded by saying he is waiting for ebay to send him the money that I paid so that he can refund me - I thought ebay will not send a payout unless the item has been sent? Anyway I messaged the seller again but he didn't respond and has stopped responding.

I did not use paypal but used ebay to pay, and ebay are saying its now outside the timeframe for their money back guarantee.

Short of lodging a disputed transaction with my bank, I don't know what to do and would appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Get onto your bank ASAP. Hopefully youโ€™re within the timeframe for a chargeback; every card issuerโ€™s T&Cs are different.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Lodge the dispute with your bank.

If you have time go to "Help" on any page & type in "Pre sale".

Read the policy for future reference.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you for the replies, I'll contact my bank ASAP.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Definitely get onto the bank because the seller has conveniently strung you along long enough whereby you can't make a claim through the money back guarantee. In future, don't let it go on so long. If you haven't received the presale item by the time they said it would be sent, open a dispute. 

From what you've said, the seller's actions were deliberate. As mentioned, read up on presale items in the help pages. Try to avoid them in future, because they often are used to scam people.

Please come back and let us know how you got on with your bank. Good luck!

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Presale listings must clearly state that they are "presale" in the title and description, and guarantee postage within 20 days of purchase.

Presale policy | eBay

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Report the seller!

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@designers*n*more wrote:

Report the seller!

How do you suggest they do that.

They have approached Ebay, but as it's outside the timeframe, they cant (rightfully) help.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply