Seller raised Buy Now price after rejecting offers - Feeling a bit cheated

This seems fraudulent or unethical to me on the part of the seller.  Would be interested to know your thoughts. 

I put 2 offers on a Buy it Now/Best Offer item within a few short minutes.  The item was listed Buy it Now for $24.99. The initial offer of $19.95 was rejected by the seller. I made a further offer of $20.95 which was also rejected by the seller. After receiving the 2nd rejection, I attempted to make a higher offer, but was notified that I had exhausted the number of offers I could make on the item. I proceeded to purchase the item as a 'Buy it Now', but noticed that the seller had raised the Buy it Now price after I had made the 2nd offer. The Buy it Now price was now $27.49., up from $24.99. I feel this is misleading on the part of the seller by refusing reasonable offers close to the asking price, waiting for my offer limit to be exhausted, then raising the price to capture a likely sale to an eager buyer. Surely this is not an ethical way to behave as a seller?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@chameleon54wrote:

I dont have the offer facility on my listings, but do get offers regularly through messages. I had a rare machinery part for sale awhile ago. It wasnt cheap, but it was the only one listed on ebay wordwide. I had a buyer offer a very low price, which I politely declined, stating all prices firm. He messaged again with another fairly low price and some personal advice about how I should accept it.

Off to the BBL for that buyer. A few days later he messaged back saying he really needed the part and could not find it anywhere. He had an expensive piece of machinery that was broken down and costing him a lot of money every day it was idle. He was willing to pay the full price.

I didnt reply and a few days later the item sold to an international buyer......Smiley Happy

Moral of the story .... If you are a tight a$$ it can turn around and bite you on the bom.

I would have been tempted to give him some personal advice as to why he should have been prepared to pay a proper price for it when he had the chance, but I guess he'd already worked that one out. Smiley Happy  It always gets me that they think you should be prepared to sacrifice your income for theirs!

I put a lot on my BBL just for asking for a discount or free postage.  I'm the same on facebook.  There are plenty of good buyers around without needing to put up with the other sort. 

They never ask for discounts on my rubbish, only on my very best items, and they always ask as though they'd be doing me a big favour.  I don't know whether I've told the story before but one woman asked would I do free postage if she bought all I had left of one item.  I replied and asked her which two meals she thought I should go without so that she could live in luxury.  Smiley Surprised 

She got huffy at that, but I'd said it to put her off ever buying from me (I'd already blocked her), and it was actually quite factual.  She said I would only get a couple of small bowls of pasta for $3, but postage would have actually been $5, not $3, and I could get a couple of really healthy meals out of that!  I didn't bother replying.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Hi curiotopia , I suppose if anything maybe somewhat unethical. I guess the seller has a right to raise the price. If I were in that pos'n of the seller, I would leave the buy-it-now price as $24.99. if I wasn't happy with the offer. Perhaps the seller was getting a feel for the interest in the item.

Years ago I put an offer on an item and the seller either rejected the offer or didn't respond. Anyway, a long time ago. Funnily though, after that he listed it at buy-it-now price with no offers.

I can understand your being annoyed.
Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

I feel that anyone who makes low offers through messages, when your item isn't even listed as Make an offer, is quite rude.

I once sold a vintage '60s buffet on ebay for friends of my parents. It sold at about $350 which was quite a moderate price considering we later sold a similar one for about $700. but I was horrified to learn that when the buyers turned up to her house to pick up, they tried to beat her down $50. This was after bidding & winning. Luckily she held out & refused.

When buying on ebay, I guess people need to consider how much they want the item & if it is available through other sellers. If it's not urgent or is an item that always seems to be available, then just wait till ebay has a promotion & you might want to buy it with some other things.

If it's a one off you really, really want & the price is within reason, then just buy it.

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

I feel that anyone who makes low offers through messages, when your item isn't even listed as Make an offer, is quite rude.

I totally agree, which is why I usually block them without even bothering to message them.  Some people aren't happy unless they feel they've got one over the seller but I won't give them the satisfaction of feeling big at my expense.  I'd probably even put my price up just to annoy people who offer me less than something is worth. 

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585wrote:

I totally agree, which is why I usually block them without even bothering to message them.  Some people aren't happy unless they feel they've got one over the seller but I won't give them the satisfaction of feeling big at my expense.  I'd probably even put my price up just to annoy people who offer me less than something is worth. 

Smiley Very HappyYou remind me of myself a couple of years back at a garage sale where I was trying to clear some stuff from my parents' estate.

Had one good quality item at $5, lady came in and offered $2. I thought-that's a bit rude, that's under half, I would not do that in the reverse situation. You expect people to bargain at garage sales but there's a way to make an offer & under half isn't it. So I said $3.

Well, she stood there and said quite abruptly, No, $2 & kept insisting.

That was it, i stood my ground. I didn't care if it sold or not.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

If a rude, pushy person offers $2 you KNOW someone else will be prepared to pay double that.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

@4channelwrote:
Hi curiotopia , I suppose if anything maybe somewhat unethical. I guess the seller has a right to raise the price. If I were in that pos'n of the seller, I would leave the buy-it-now price as $24.99. if I wasn't happy with the offer. Perhaps the seller was getting a feel for the interest in the item.

Years ago I put an offer on an item and the seller either rejected the offer or didn't respond. Anyway, a long time ago. Funnily though, after that he listed it at buy-it-now price with no offers.

I can understand your being annoyed.

I forgot to add that the seller relisted the item at a buy-it-now price and a bit more.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply