Seller refuses to combine postage - profiteering on postage?

9647ian
Community Member

So I am quite prepared to pay the $80 to a seller on two separate sales. The sales are for some spare parts that would fit into the palm of my hand when combined, but he wants $13.80 postage for each sale. That makes an incredible $27.60 postage on items that he will be able to post for half that cost.

And how much do you want to bet, he will post the two sales together in one envelope?

I have told him that if he intends to charge me two lots of postage then I will expect two separate envelopes.

I almost made the mistake of bidding on a third ad of his for another $40. That would have made a combined postage of $41.40 on small items that could be posted for less than half that amount.

Why are some sellers so unreasonable when it comes to combining postage? Are they profiteering on postage? Seems so.

Message 1 of 115
Latest reply
6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

It seems to be the seller's attitude that they would have combined if they'd been asked (while denying that they had been asked), but they won't do it because they weren't asked.  I honestly think if this is their attitude they're not very businesslike and aren't interested in repeat buyers, ie. they're not helping themselves. 

If they're prepared to combine under certain circumstances, why not do it all the time?  With this seller's attitude I would probably have told them to keep their item.  I can understand that many would decide to claim one lot hadn't arrived just to get back some of their postage money.

It's not like they can't add the fees on the second lot of postage to their combined postage amount.  They'd have a much happier buyer and they could possibly end up with lots of repeat business from that buyer and all their hobbyist friends.  Sellers like this can never understand why it's so hard to sell things, just as some b&m businesses end up folding because nobody will go back a second time.

Whilst nobody can say they're entitled to combined postage on ebay (unless seller says they combine), I've noticed that most of the big places that often send items from different locations state in their listings that they can't combine postage so that buyers know beforehand.

View solution in original post

Message 42 of 115
Latest reply

My only hope is that I at least have pointed out a problem with ebay. Sellers can combine postage at checkout, so buyers send them a request which the seller can choose to ignore, or they will demand you pay the same postage for each sale. My understanding is that if sellers choose not to combine postage, they can change their preferences to reflect this, and at checkout a buyer will get a clear message that they do not combine postage. Also they can (I think "should", though this is clearly not the case) state it clearly on their ads that they do not combine postage so buyers are totally aware from the outset. Otherwise sellers can state or imply that they combine postage in order to attract more bids, but then refuse to answer any questions about combined postage, thus leaving the buyer in the dark. Then they hit them with a nasty surprise that they must pay full postage on all the items they have won, even when the items are small packets that could easily be combined. Also in this case the seller did the wrong thing by requesting I pay by bank deposit instead of PayPal after the auction, just so he can combine postage and avoid PayPal's buyer protection and save a few bucks on fees, while pocketing the difference in postage. $13.95 on every additional sale must really add up for him over time, yet he is the one who is crying poor. That is the crux of the problem which I was highlighting, despite gutterpunkz tactics to derail the thread. I really must wonder why he was so antagonistic towards what is actually a reasonable problem that I wished to highlight and this person subsequently attempted to derail the topic by cherry picking my comments in order to make out of context statements in his attempt to paint me as the guilty party? For his information, not that it is any of his business anyway, I did purchase the items separately and paid for the separate postage by PayPal, which evidently annoyed the seller greatly. This was despite receiving no replies at all from the seller apart from his request that I pay him by bank deposit. And then gutterpunk tries to paint me as the villain. Laughable!!!

However I have been told many time before that nobody from ebay actually reads these forums! So what is the point of trying to highlight problems with ebay on here? Moreover, I find myself asking, what is the point of these community forums if nobody from ebay monitors or reads them??? Yet the forums are a part of their website, aren't they? Yet they have no control over them and do not care what is written? This is very odd and leads me to wonder, does ebay have a dedicated feedback forum, and if they do, does anybody actually monitor or read the suggestions sent in by buyers and sellers?

Message 60 of 115
Latest reply

edit : in reply to 9647ian

Postage cost the seller charged me: $27.90

Actual postage cost on envelope: $15.50

Cost of padded bag: probably a few dollars

Total actually spent by seller: approx. $18.50

@imastawka wrote:

Seller has also been charged $2.79 fees on that postage  =  $21.29  so not such a large profit.

From the perspective of the buyer, namely 9647ian, it is a hassle. Skimming is skimming. And id 9647ian comes across more sellers doing this, it will add up for sure!

Message 68 of 115
Latest reply

The fact is that it's a reasonable expectation that sellers will provide a discount for combined postage these days.  Most of the ones who don't (when they could) have pretty much been forced to change their practices because they never get any sales.

It's interesting that a few people here have stuck up for the seller making a profit on postage, yet they would hate the fact that ebay make a profit from our postage.  My opinion is that only basic costs should be included in the postage component and everything else should be included in the item price. 

I once asked for a quote for postage on three items from an ebay seller.  The postage on one was the price of a 3kg satchel.  All three items EASILY fitted in a 3kg satchel but they added $2 to the postage.  If three people had bought one item each they would have paid fees on three satchels, so I actually saved them the fees on two satchels, as well as 2 x 30c in paypal fees, plus I saved them some packaging work, so why did they charge me more?  Who knows, but I bought the next lot elsewhere.

Message 69 of 115
Latest reply

Although this seller's arrogance and lack of desire to communicate are clearly at fault and not doing him any favours, these are personal problems that only he can address and resolve. Clearly he has no desire to change, so in his own words he is "stuck with it". I am only ever rude or arrogant to people if they are rude or arrogant to me. Otherwise I am always very kind and friendly and polite. Some sellers seem to be opposed to me for highlighting this issue and have tried to undermine me and rile me in order to make me seem like a bad person. They have tried but failed and came away looking like a bunch of silly trolls. I can only guess that they are opposed to my suggestions because they like the idea of being able to rip buyers off if they feel like it. They seem to view skimming as a right, which is not on.

Basically I think ebay should make it a rule across the board that sellers must offer combined postage whenever they sell multiple items or multiple sales to a single buyer at any one time. This is the only way to end the confusion and frustration for buyers and will help to weed out any rogue operators who think they can skim another ten bucks or so off buyers for each sale to boost their profit margin.

I rest my case!

Message 81 of 115
Latest reply

@9647ian wrote:

Seems we have both come across a similar "type" of seller. This is the seller that is always feeling ripped off by the world and everybody in it. They constantly complain about things like postage costs, ebay fees, paypal fees etc. They are never grateful for high bids, no matter how high they go. Instead they are always rubbing their hands together at the thought of making more money out of any deal. So even if you bid their items up to the moon the seller will never thank you for bidding or be grateful. Instead they will try to get as much out of you for postage as they possibly can before letting you off their hook. Yes indeed, some sellers think buyers are the proverbial "milk cow". Buyers do not want to hear sellers whining about the costs even after they have gotten a good deal and you have paid them in full. I guess it is more their attitude of greed that puts buyers off them forever. It is like: "I alone have the goods you desire. You want them? Well expect to pay, and pay some more, and oh, while you're at it, pay me some more." Buyers who experience such an attitude generally never return. If a buyer is good enough to bid on ther products and ask reasonable questions in a polite manner, only to be met with hosility from a seller is not a pleasant shopping experience. It leaves buyers with a bad taste in the mouth. They never return.

Ebay sellers ( and buyers ) are just a reflection of people in society in general. Some are great, some are complete dirt-bags. And then there are a few who are down right crazy. ( I mean a few kangaroos loose in the top padock crazy ). I had one buyer who sent pages of typed messages about the end of the world and religous plots, coz he thought I was on the same wave length as him.......Smiley Very Happy

Maybe you just struck it unlucky. Pay the guy, make use of the items and move on. Hopefully your next seller is a lot more helpful and your next purchase a more positive experience.

Message 84 of 115
Latest reply
114 REPLIES 114

I can't say with only the item would fit in the palm of your hand to go off

What sort of packaging will the item need to make sure it is not damaged in the post?

Will the total weight of two items plus the packaging push it into the next weight range for Australia Post?

Did the ad say the seller offers combined postage? did you ask before buying? 

Yes there are unreasonable sellers, just as there are unreasonable buyers

Not all sellers/buyers are what every other single other seller/buyer define as being reasonable 

I have had buyers expect  me to provide packaging for free so I'd say that is unreasonable 

Message 2 of 115
Latest reply

9647ian
Community Member

I meant to add that the seller does allow the buyer to send him a "request for a new invoice" at checkout, so I have requested combined postage. But he has apparently ignored the requests I have sent. The only communication I have received from him is a message asking me to pay by direct deposit into an account rather than by PayPal. I can't really understand the seller's attitude because he has 100% feedback. It is of course possible that he is having computer problems and has not received my requests.

Message 3 of 115
Latest reply

*Sigh* The standard non-answer.

Message 4 of 115
Latest reply

Some sellers have evidently never heard of a post office. You can take things there and get them weighed and receive a quote. Or if you have scales at home, you can weigh them yourself and get an estimate online. I also know the cost of a plastic parcel post bag, which can accept items up to a certain weight, into which all of my spare parts would easily fit. I know for a fact that these items would not go over that weight. Not even close. So please do not patronize me.

Message 5 of 115
Latest reply

It was an answer

Just because you do not like it because I did not instantly say "what a horrid, greedy seller' does not make it a non answer

Have a jolly good day

Message 6 of 115
Latest reply

Whatever you do, DO NOT pay into his bank account as you will have zero protection.

Message 7 of 115
Latest reply

@9647ian wrote:

The only communication I have received from him is a message asking me to pay by direct deposit into an account rather than by PayPal.

If you pay that way you can not start a dispute of any sort if things go wrong,(as stated you will have no

protection if the parts are wrong,damaged or if they don't arrive).

So pay via PP only,(where you will have buyer protection).

Sounds like they may not arrive in a 3kg satchel if the weight are possible lower,(an 500 gram satchel can be sent

under $8 and up to 1 kg can be sent in a B1 box which cost less than $9 including the price of the box and using

eBay postage).

Message 8 of 115
Latest reply

@9647ian wrote:

I meant to add that the seller does allow the buyer to send him a "request for a new invoice" at checkout, so I have requested combined postage. But he has apparently ignored the requests I have sent. The only communication I have received from him is a message asking me to pay by direct deposit into an account rather than by PayPal. I can't really understand the seller's attitude because he has 100% feedback. It is of course possible that he is having computer problems and has not received my requests.

Have you given them enough time to reply?

Some sellers, believe it or not, are not always sitting at their computer 24/7

Some like to have at least the weekend off.

So give them a couple of days to get around to it

As stated, do not pay by bank deposit.

Message 9 of 115
Latest reply

If you say the items could fit into the palm of your hand then what I don't understand is why the postage cost is $13.80 in the first place.

I'd understand it if it is a heavy item at that rate.

Then there is the weight issue,sometimes it will cost more if the 2 items are sent in the same packaging so it could cost say $30 for the 2 items to send together so sending them in separate postage is cheaper.

That said I wouldn't be buying something that weighs next to nothing costing $13.80 to post in the first place.

And also what you need to realize is that a seller doesn't have to combine postage it's not a policy.

Ebay gives you the choice to mark the seller on their postage and the seller should realize that they will get marked down if a buyer thinks the postage is over the top.

Message 10 of 115
Latest reply