Seller sending a local debt collection agency after eBay refunded on an item.

Hi All,

I bought couple of games from a seller and only received one. both items purchased at same time. but seller sent only one item.

After not receiving the second item I opened a dispute, requested for money back. seller got very angry and start threatening me. Soon after that he updates the both items with same tracking number. I told him this is not correct for second item.

Finally, eBay refunded in full as seller was not able to provide a valid tracking details to eBay.

Seller started to send me SMS via mobile network. I told him this is a privacy issue and he should never contact me out of eBay platform. He didn’t listen.

Just today received a letter from somewhere! (no physical address or agency name in the letter, with a ordinary envelop) saying I was involved a online fraud and they are investigating.

That is all about $42.!

So what is my options here please if anyone can help? Can seller provide my personal information to a non-government agency like debt collector? Is this not a privacy violence?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Seller sending a local debt collection agency after eBay refunded on an item.

Someone with experience in similar things will no doubt be able to give you a better,more detailed reply but I find it very strange that a real debt collector or alike would send an ordinary letter with no letter head, details or anything

It sounds to me like the seller or one of his mates has sent this letter themselves 

Sit tight and see what other members suggest. My first thought would be to get in touch with a supervisor at eBay and to phone ACORN

If you know the seller's real name I would also be blocking them on Facebook (if you have it) and putting them on your blocked list on eBay 

As I say, I have no experience in a situation like this, and I would be asking here to as we have some amazing members with a wide variety of knowledge and experience in all kinds of areas

Best of luck 

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Re: Seller sending a local debt collection agency after eBay refunded on an item.

Thank you for your reply.

I just called the number which is provided in that letter but seems it is not connected (LOL) so I believe this not a real debt collector as you guessed.
I already contacted eBay and sent a message through the platform to seller to make everything documented.
He have few negative feedbacks confirming when buyers purchased few copies he only sent one.
He is just bullying, harassing, threatening me outside of eBay.

I don’t know his real name I’m afraid but I’m sure if police ask eBay that will be provided.

Another point is that the letter is not releted to this incident somehow. see the letter below.

To whom it may concern
We received several reports from retail businesses of your involvement in online fraud and supermarket shoplifting where you claimed either not receiving the goods or not authorising the transactions. As such we are investigating surveillance footage and banking transactions and gathering more evidence so we can make a stronger case against you.
This process may take several weeks so please bear with us, you'll receive further notifications of the progress with make. In certain cases we may pass your file for debt collection action in others may refer to court depending on the seriousness of these allegations and evidence. You may be also deported from the country if conviction is held against you as crime is not tolerated in our society.
You may seek free legal advice or contact us for more information regarding your case. Either way there would be some action take subject to evidence gathered and client testimony. Don't hesitate to give me a call below.
With thanks

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

the letter is not in 'proper English'......screams bogus to me!
Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Complete garbage letter, not even written in English. If you get another, take it to the jacks; they probably won't do anything, but it will be on file if they (ie the seller) attempts further extortion.

PS, debt collectors don't tell you they're investigating, either; they tell you to ante up the money and their costs within 7 days, "or legal proceedings may be issued without further notice" - and they are.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Smiley LOL  I have to ask.....is your surname one that indicates that you may not be an Australian citizen?  Debt collectors don't have any way of deporting you.

That message is so fake that it gave me a good laugh.  It is so non professional.....no business who is asking for money would write a letter like that.

Don't worry about it.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

Don't let it rattle you too much & don't be tempted to share information at all if, for instance, anyone rings. Don't even confirm your name. It's a bluff.

Like DG, I suspect this is the work of the seller, not a debt collection agency.

They would have the name of the company and extra details included in any letter, it would detail exactly how much you owe and it would  most likely give you information on how to pay it and a date.

Let me say upfront I am no financial expert. But all this work would not normally be for $42. My sister worked at a bank and she told me that when people get into debt, the bank makes an effort to get the person to pay. This may be over a period of several months but if this does not work, the bank sells the debt to outside agencies for a fraction of the total cost of the debt. So when an agency goes chasing someone, they are usually willing to barter and accept a percentage as total payment. For example, with a debt of $20,000, an agency might buy it for-not sure, but I'll guess maybe as cheap as $5000-$8000, then they will chase the person who owes it & probably settle for about $12,000 and would almost certainly jump at $15,000.

I know your case isn't the same, but if a debt collection agency was chasing the debt, then I presume the seller would no longer own the debt. The costs of chasing it up would be more than the return. So to answer your question, private details such as name/address/phone number can be passed on to non-government agencies such as debt collectors but there are processes they have to follow & I have never heard of it being done for sums anywhere this small. I don't believe any agency has been hired.

Just ignore the letter & let them 'investigate' because the bottom line is you can prove ebay decided in your favour & seller was not able to provide tracking details anyway

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

I have kept the letter and envelope incase if needed. 

I can't understand why someone would go this far and bullying a buyer.

It might lost in transit I'm not sure but if I was a seller with more than 25K transactions . I would simply take the damage. 

I'm pretty sure he can;t do nothing in a legal way that's why he is doing all this sort of stuff.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Oh, and people are usually only ever deported for serious criminal convictions.

A debt of $42 (if you even had such a debt, which you can prove you don't) is a civil matter, not criminal.

All in all, I'd give the seller a D minus for his effort. Just laugh and toss!

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Tempting...

Spoiler

To [name of seller]

A number of reports have been received from consumers on various online platforms concerning your alleged involvement in falsely misrepresenting yourself as a financial/investigative official, failing to send purchased goods and providing false tracking numbers, and using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence (s 474.17, Criminal Code 1995 (Cth)). It is an offence for a person to use a carriage service in a way that reasonable persons would regard as being menacing, harassing or offensive.

An investigation jointly conducted by the Australian Criminal Activity Commission and Intelligence Agency (ACACIA) and the Australian Harassment Authority (AHA) is underway (case no. 003.14159.) You will be asked to provide responses to a number of allegations, and to submit evidence in relation to these allegations within the timeframe indicated. Failure to provide such evidence will result in an automatic plea of guilty as sin.

In addition, investigations are underway in respect of illegal surveillance and demanding property with menaces. In the event that surveillance equipment is found on or near the complainants, you shall be charged under Section 416 of the Criminal Code and the Surveillance Devices Act 2004.

You will receive further notification when our initial phase 1 investigation is concluded, at which time you shall be served with a quisquiliae panem. You may also be taken by ASIO officers out of the country and left, dressed in an orange outfit made of feathers, in a random location in Egypt, where the local authorities shall conduct further investigations into the claims lodged. This is because poorly written and uncalled-for bluffs are not tolerated in our society.

You may seek free legal advice on the understanding that the terms and conditions to receive such advice may change and you may be liable up to and including the maximum hourly rate chargeable by law. You may not contact us for further information concerning your case, as we do not enter into negotiatiion with errorists.

You may wish to seek English Grammer lessons as well as a couirse in Critical Thinking. These courses are highly sought after and no guarantee of your successful acceptance into such classes  is either implied or offered.

Yours faithfully
Száll a Kakukk Fészkére (The Honourable)

ACACIA

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply