Sellers misleading listing

The seller as do a number of sellers listings are misleading. I made a purchase that were suppose to be polystyrene cups only to find that what I received were single wall paper cups. It is annoying that EBAY doesn't have a complaint handling section. You can not send an email directly to EBay or make a phone call. I have now referred this to the Department of Consumer Affairs in Western Australia. I am hoping that action can be taken against Ebay and the Seller.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

eBay DOES have a complaint process, see the link below. And if you go to the "eBay help" button at the top of the page you can contact them there.

Emailing them is useless - it's completely bot driven.

https://pages.ebay.com.au/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

Edit. Snap Sandy.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Correct, the call center closed over three and a half years ago and the emails are bot automated

eBay Help is at the top of every page for 'live chat' 

Doubtful consumer affairs will take action against eBay when it clearly states on every listing the seller is fully responsible for said listing

eBay do not vet listings 

You don't mention opening an item not as described dispute

Did you, and di you follow through with it?

You have not left neg feedback for the seller either

Both the above  of which is how you 'complain' 

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Padi, you'd know....aren't polystyrene cups banned in WA?

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Can't help you there Stawks - I never use them.............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Sheesh Padi, I thought you'd be up to date with the 'plastics/one use only/polystyrene laws' in WA.

That's ok - I'll look it up.................

Seems they will be tomorrow -in WA

BANNED FROM 1 SEPTEMBER 2023

The ban applies to expanded polystyrene (EPS) cups of any shape.

Banned Items | WA Plastics Ban (plasticsbanwa.com.au)

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

I thought they already were.

WA.

The Stage 1 regulations came into effect on 1 January 2022, phasing out disposable unlidded bowls and takeaway food containers, cups, plates, cutlery, stirrers, straws, expanded polystyrene food containers, thick plastic bags and helium balloon releases. Stage 1 was fully implemented on 1 October 2022.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Yes, I read that - confusing.

But it seems that's why the OP didn't get polystyrene cups.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

If your purchase was meant to be polystyrene cups and you were sent paper cups, then that means you did not get what was advertised. That's plain & simple.

What you need to do is open an 'item not as described' or 'item does not match the description' claim in ebay.

I am not sure exactly what the wording will be in their drop down menu, but something to that effect in any case.

You don't need to go to consumer affairs, you don't even need to contact the seller, just open a claim.

You should get a refund.  Follow through with your claim. The seller will also have to issue you with a label for return postage if he wants the item back.

The fact that those sorts of cups are now banned in WA should not & probably would not come up in the claim. It is a buyer's responsibility to make sure their purchases don't break any local laws or regulations & if you had an item that was seized by customs or Auspost, then that would be on you.

You would not be able to claim on ebay for it.

But that's not what happened. You didn't get the item you paid for, clear and simple. I don't think it is a case of the seller just sending a substitute because of any law and in any case, if he wanted to do that, he would need to contact you to ask if you were happy with that or would prefer a refund.

So just open an item not described claim-item ordered does not match the ad description.

And follow up later with factual feedback. Don't mention opening a claim-just say the cups you were sent did not match the description in the ad, very misleading.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

You have to look past the headings, which are made up of key words.  IE:  paper polystyrene coffee cups.

Now they can't be both and when you go to specifications/description it likely states, material paper,  or something similar.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply