Selling stolen goods on Ebay

mrsmaker
Community Member

My son, Peter Baker purchased a custom made Go Fast Predator Surf from Michael Collins 12.1.17. The item was paid for on my Pay pal account. Peter contacted the manufacturer for decals and was told today by him that the ski had been stolen.What should I do?
Peter Baker

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Selling stolen goods on Ebay

The Help and Contact link IS available to everyone at the bottom of every ebay page.

Message 21 of 25
Latest reply

For hours, and everywhere I went on the site, I was informed that there was no help for my problem!

Message 22 of 25
Latest reply

Did you pay by PayPal mrsmaker? If so, once the police contacts Ebay regarding your purchase, you should be able to request a refund through eBay, PayPal or even the credit card company if you paid by credit card.
Message 23 of 25
Latest reply

Mrsmaker, in future, if you can't find the correct topic that applies then just select any topic that brings up the ability to contact Ebay. Then just explain your situation in your email / phone call. They'll just pass you on to the correct department.
Message 24 of 25
Latest reply

I would say if the item is seized due to being stolen goods as long as you have proof of this you should be entitled to a refund for not as described (implication of clear title).

Back in the very early days of eBay when buyer and seller protection and even PayPal was non existent, I bought a laptop from a seller. It arrived damaged as packing was pretty poor. Broken screen. I powered it up and found a big message about it being owned by a school interstate. So being socially responsible I called them. Gave the serial number and yes stolen. Gave the sellers name and it was a student. I'd paid $400 for it (cheap for a laptop at the time but lots of money still) but knowing I was dealing with a 14 year old kid I sent a very scary very legal sounding message telling them the computer was broken and the authorities would be involved if they did not agree to take it back. Clearly wanting to avoid any entanglement with the police (knowing it was hot) they quickly refunded my purchase price and original postage and asked that I return it which I said I would. The school kindly offered to pay my return postage cost to get the machine back which was a 2 grand machine, so I sent it to them instead, stalling the seller.

I got word that he literally **bleep**ped his dacks when he got called into the office and was confronted with the sight of the laptop.

I got a good outcome with no loss to myself. With all the protection out there now I can't see the seller getting away with it.
Message 25 of 25
Latest reply