Store Gift Cards for sale - am I missing something ??

hi, I came across a store Gift Card for sale, for less than the value of it, but missed out on it .. so I did a search to find another similar ..

thing is all the Gift Card listings I've found are selling them (plus post) for more than they are worth !?? 

Am I missing something here ? 

Why are people buying something worth less than what they are paying ?? 

I am totally confused .. thanks 🙂

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I don't know. Many many moons ago, I had a gift card listed as an auction, people kept bidding and it went past the face value of the card, I sent a message to a bidder who had bid $10 more than the card was worth just to check (in case they had not read/misread the value or made a mistake with their bid)

They responded with a blunt "I know that"

Ok then

They won and paid almost right away

I guess for them,perhaps the extra money was woth not having to leave the house to go out and buy it from the store

Who knows? 

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I think sometimes it's also the thrill of beating out others to win an auction. or sometimes people are in remote locations and going down to a shop to buy something like a gift card simply isn't an option.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Funnily enough,that buyer of mine had a PO Box in CBD

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I am puzzled why anyone would pay a premium to buy a gift card on ebay.

These days most gift cards can be bought online, often at a discount.

I do all my Woolworths shopping using an e-gift card bought online at a 5% discount.  As soon as I make up my shopping list I know approximately how much I am going to spend.....I go online and order my gift card and it arrives within a couple of hours.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

oh! so it seems it is just a human thing 🙂 .. I've noticed myself bidding for an item going to 300% the price the same item is being sold for BIN ! .. maybe its a territorial thing when bidding, our animal instincts take over, with most stores they are used for being online what you say makes sense :).. thanks
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

yes theres that to think of .. but can there be that many people that far away .. also there is the option of Egift cards now that are emailed to you. I thought for sure there was some secret to it .. turns out its a human thing ! 🙂 thanks
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

even stranger ! .. I see some are also being sold as collectibles but most of the ones Ive seen are just plain ones anyway ..so theres no reason there. how rude some people are! they get you off guard which makes it worse. I'm glad you mentioned it though as you know you did the right thing. I was looking for a supermarket one mainly ..as the one I was watching sold out, that was about $30 less than face value so worth it esp with free post. I guess we will never know, as you found out they know what they're doing ! 🙂 ))
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

exactly! thats the weird part . not only do they pay 10%+ more for the face value but also post of $8 - $14 I saw one & it was delivered by email ??! surely that cant be right .. I looked through vouvhers as well as gift cards searches. there are some businesses selling the gift vouchers for use in their land stores! thats clever ..publicity plus a guaranteed customer. thanks for the tip re the discount, I will look at that. its a puzzle that doesnt have an explanation. 🙂
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I've never bought gift cards on eBay. In fact, I rarely buy them at all. However, when they've been mentioned on here I've watched some and I've seen people pay $75-90 for a $50 card. It makes no sense. They are current cards like fuel or Big W, Myer, whatever. All I can put it down to is the thrill of the auction. People get caught up in it and don't want to be beaten. Maybe it will get worse with the current younger generations having to win at all costs as that's how they've been raised? Could it be a good time to start selling gift cards?

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply