Totally Confused with Auction Wording

Hi all,

I am trying to make sense on the wording of an item from the UK that I was thinking about bidding on, but for the life of me I am at a loss as to what is included in this auction and what is not.

The auction title is edwardian sindy boxed and sindy bride boxed, item number 251274985164.

At first I assumed the auction included both the dolls as pictured, the auction title certainly leads one to believe this is so.

But I just checked this listing again and find the seller has added a note after bids had been placed which reads:-

please note that the reserve on the edwardian sindy is £100,and the brides reserve is £55,sold seperatley please only bid if you are aware these are "seperate" items.many thanks for bidding and good luck.

And this is where I am totally confused now.

They mention a reserve price, as far as I can tell there is no reserve on this auction.

They also say that these are seperate items, but the title says for both dolls.

If I bid and won this auction, which one would I win??  Not both by the looks of the sellers note that was added.

To win both dolls do I have to bid £155 at least?  But then again, they mention seperate auctions.  So the seller thinks this auction is for 1 doll only, but why give the auction the title with both dolls?

And what happens if the auction ends at lets say £50, what does the winning bidder get? Both dolls or no dolls???   I might bid £155 and only get one doll. Or I could bid £75, does that determine I only get the one with the reserve of £55?

Is this allowed to be listed on ebay this way???

Maybe someone out there can make sense of this auction and what is being auctioned and what is not and enlighten me.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

No they are not allowed to list like that, as the wording in the title says it is for both dolls. They can not put it in the description about a reserve price on individual dolls. You need to report the seller for avoiding ebay fees. I did.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I would suggest you just do yourself a favour and avoid this user like the plague. They obviously do not know or perhaps care how the auctions work themselves and are just fishing for buyers who are as stupid as they are. Anyway they are obviously very very dodgy

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

thats so bad I also had to read it twice, very misleading. Avoid at all costs 

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Somewhere in the listing is a report button so click on it and choose the correct reason.

There really isn't any point bidding on the auction as it is because you will most likely end up in a Paypal dispute.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks all for your replies.  I knew it was not an auction that was going to end well with any bidder.  I just wonder if any of the bidders read that sellers wording, but then again some would have been like me and looked at the listing when first listed when there was no mention of reserve prices etc. or that you were bidding on a single doll maybe, and would not have seen the note that was added after bids were placed.

Anyway, the reports on this auction must have worked because that auction has now been removed and it is like it never existed.

Wonder how the seller will relist this next time?  Time will tell.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

kimmi they will get a warning from ebay and if they list it in a similar fashion again then they will end up in more trouble with ebay so if you see it relisted and it is still confusing then just report it again.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Yes they will be in "lots of trouble" from Ebay....they might even get an email.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

It is a newbie seller who obviously has no idea what they are doing.  I have messaged them told them that the best thing would be to cancel the bids and the listing, apologise to the bidders, and explained how to list the 2 dolls in separate listings.  Hope that is what they are doing rather than that they got in trouble with eBay. 🙂

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Many newbie sellers make this mistake, they think because some sellers list BINs with a choice of colours or sizes etc that it works like that for auctions too.

If they are new I usually send them an email explaining what is wrong and advising them the best way to list, I would only report straight away if the item was ending soon and had bids.

Regarding reserves they are allowed on the UK site for items over £50

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply