Unpaid item case, not fair

I believe Ebay will allow a buyer to cancel an order within 1 hour, seller 30 days.

I recently bought a part for my daughters car. A friend showed up shortly after doing so and fixed the issue at no cost and without needing any parts. Within a  few hours of the purchase I very politely and sincerely contacted the seller explaining the situation and asked if he would cancel order and I offered to pay any fees incured, if any. Being on a pension I can not afford something I don't need. The seller did not reply and opened an unpaid item case.

I have been on Ebay for almost 9 years, have a history from day one of 100% feedback rating. Yes an unblemished record from day one. The seller in question has a 98% feedback rating.

I think it is very unfair given the circumstances, my long unblemished record and the fact that the seller is being very unreasonable that this single non serious issue be recorded against my account and restrictions applied. I think buyers should be allowed 1 unpaid item every year or so. 

Very very unfair. 

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

If someone wants to cancel from me because the cat bought something, or the unborn foetus did, or because they just decided they shouldn't have bought it, if they haven't paid, they get an unpaid item dispute opened against them. I tell them they don't need to do anything, the order will automatically cancel in 4 days time.

The few times a buyer has requested to cancel, they then refuse to accept the cancellation, even though they asked for it. I then have to wait 10 days for it to time out before I can relist the item. With an UPI, I can relist after 4 days.

The other reason I use the unpaid item route is, the buyer can't retaliate and leave negative feedback. Neither party can leave feedback once the dispute is closed. If you'd bought from me and then wanted to cancel, no way I'd accept it after looking at your feedback left for others. It's atrocious. I'm not going to risk my impecable record because you happen to have got out of bed the wrong way, or had a fight with someone at the supermarket. 

The biggest reason for opening an UPI against someone wanting a cancellation is when they pull the pensioner card. That grates at me big time. I don't give a toss what someone's circumstances are, if you have the time to search for items and then buy them, you can't be doing it that hard. If you were such a poor pensioner doing it so tough, stop buying carp on eBay. Stop playing the sympathy card, or I'll be forced to mention my child who lost both legs and one arm in an accident, who will now never be able to fulfill her dream of becoming a taxi driver. Trust me, you don't want me to get started about that.

Oh, here's an idea, get your daughter to pay for her own car parts. 

Message 31 of 42
Latest reply

I still just love this part

'I have been on Ebay for almost 9 years, have a history from day one of 100% feedback rating. Yes an unblemished record from day one'

For 9 years, ALL ebay users who are buyers only (not a seller) have the exact same thing. Every single one

100% the ONLY thing ebay allow them to have and yet OP wants to use it as part of the excuse as to why they are apparently superior 

Message 32 of 42
Latest reply

You have left many negative feedbacks for buyers and have called them many names. Even though eBay does not remove these, it is against eBay rules, and it doesn't reflect positively on you for posting comments like that.  As for "it doesn"t take 2 weeks to get 6 hours up the road"   Yes it can.  I had Australia Post take two weeks to send a letter from two suburbs away,  That wouldn't even be one hour up the road. I could have walked it quicker.

Message 33 of 42
Latest reply

Yeah, I  found that rather amusing too. Funnily enough, my buying account has 100% feedback too. Who would have thought hey?

Spoiler
My selling accounts are all on 100% too.
Spoiler
Probably because the OP hasn't bought from me.
Spoiler
And now won't be able to buy from me.
Spoiler
Or many others here.
Spoiler
That's what happens when you out yourself on a public forum.
Message 34 of 42
Latest reply

seriously, you're going to whinge about your record being tarnished? looking at the feedback you've left for others - you've done nothing but destroy others feedback for years. 

maybe it's you getting a taste of your own medicine? based on your feedback left for others, a buyer like yourself is one that most sellers dread. 

Message 35 of 42
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@karen-1965-storewrote:

I have been on Ebay for almost 9 years, have a history from day one of 100% feedback rating. Yes an unblemished record from day one. The seller in question has a 98% feedback rating.

I think it is very unfair given the circumstances, my long unblemished record and the fact that the seller is being very unreasonable that this single non serious issue be recorded against my account and restrictions applied. I think buyers should be allowed 1 unpaid item every year or so. 

Very very unfair. 

All of us who are buyers only have 100% positive feedback as others have told you.   It is not hard to keep a good record when you have only bought 217 items in 9 years.   I have bought 15000 odd items in the same time and also have 100% positive feedback.

But I do have an unpaid item strike.....I bought several DVDs for myself and my daughter, forgetting that she does not have access to a multi region player.  As soon as I realised what had happened I contacted the seller and explained.  I asked for a cancellation but would understand if he chose to go the strike route which he did.

It did not had any effect on my buying at all as I did not get any more strikes and it is now over a year old so has fallen off my record.

If you feel really strongly about getting a strike you can ring ebay and ask to have it removed....they sometimes do it for a first offence.

However I think you are going to see more fallout from your awful feedback record left for other sellers.

Most of the sellers who read this thread will very quickly put you on their banned bidder list and you will not be able to buy from them.....and you have no idea how many sellers have read the thread.

Message 36 of 42
Latest reply

As I write this, the OP has had 327 views. I'd say 320 of those views would be from sellers. I know that's not a huge amount by any means in eBay terms, but the number will continue to grow as more people post messages. It only takes the wrong right person to read and add them to their BBL for the OP to realise they have gone too far.

When they wish to buy another car part, but the only seller on eBay who has the part they need, has read this thread and added them to the party list and they find they can't buy, we'll know all about it. Then we'll see them come back wondering why they can't buy from a particular seller. Tough totties I say! You reap what you sow.

Message 37 of 42
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes*wrote:

As I write this, the OP has had 327 views. I'd say 320 of those views would be from sellers. I know that's not a huge amount by any means in eBay terms, but the number will continue to grow as more people post messages. It only takes the wrong right person to read and add them to their BBL for the OP to realise they have gone too far.

When they wish to buy another car part, but the only seller on eBay who has the part they need, has read this thread and added them to the party list and they find they can't buy, we'll know all about it. Then we'll see them come back wondering why they can't buy from a particular seller. Tough totties I say! You reap what you sow.

Well thats been a fun read......Smiley Happy

Quite often I have the only one of a particular car part for sale worldwide. And yes my party list just got a bit bigger.

One particular ebayer sent a silly offer ( less than 50% asking price ) on a machinery component once. He just went straight to the party list without even getting a response. . A few days later he messages back to say he has a piece of equipment sitting broken down that is costing him thousands of dollars a day. He has searched everywhere for the part and is willing to pay full price now...........

Spoiler

I often wonder how many more weeks that piece of equipment sat idle for......Smiley Very Happy
Message 38 of 42
Latest reply

Hahahaha, "Hoist with his own petard" Chamo, not unlike the OP methinks.................Who's gone very quiet.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 39 of 42
Latest reply

OP may indeed ring ebay and they may indeed remove the 'very very unfair strike'

More of a concern is they may look at the fedback left for others and the remarks which are against ebay policy for being abusive 

Message 40 of 42
Latest reply