Update on yesterday’s message about changing your password

We’re reaching out to our millions of customers by email but it will take some time to contact everyone. Meanwhile, remember that you can go to eBay.com.au and change your password.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Update on yesterday’s message about changing your password

Why when I do this am I sent an email to reset my password, this goes against eBays own rules that state they will never ask for personal information in an email. There is no copy of this message in "my messages" folder on ebay, another thing that is supposed to prove the email is legitimate. The claim by one person that she was sent a fake email and now can't log in, the email sent to ebay to check out, was returned undeliverable. Is this a phishing scam, and why would I want to take the risk.?? Why can't I just change my password on the eBay site and not via a link in an email?? Everything I know and have learnt about security is to NEVER EVER enter personal details in links in emails. I wish someone would explain this to me!!
Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

Hi shoppingbag

If you would prefer, you can also update your password via SMS. You will be sent a single-use eBay pin via SMS. Please make sure your mobile phone number is up to date in your eBay account before proceeding.

Visit the Seller Centre to find out how you can update your password across a variety of devices.

Joanna_oz

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

I have an old mobile phone that doesn't receive text messages, that feature was turned off years ago.  I have never sent a text message in my life and don't want to learn,  or buy another phone. I only keep a mobile phone in case of emergencies.

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

I have an old mobile phone that doesn't receive text messages, that feature was turned off years ago.  I have never sent a text message in my life and don't want to learn,  or buy another phone. I only keep a mobile phone in case of emergencies.

This isn't eBay's fault, or eBay's problem.  They've given you multiple ways to reset your password.

amxsuperstores - Australia's three largest motorcycle accessories superstores.
Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

Update on my post.. I think SMS is text messaging? Not real sure, I am the old school who can't keep up with all the new stuff and don't want to learn.
Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

That's really none of your business is it? I am replying to the person who left a message for me, not you!
Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

You're on a public forum, anyone can comment on anything posted on the boards...

ebay is not asking you for any personal information, they already have that in your account, clicking a link isn't gving them anything as you aren't entering any details until you're actually on ebay and that's only to change your password . You don't get any record of the email in your messages because it's not an ebay message, it's an email sent to your personal email.. If you reset your password, and there is an email saying that you did, then there is a pretty good chance that it's legitimate..

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:
Update on my post.. I think SMS is text messaging? Not real sure, I am the old school who can't keep up with all the new stuff and don't want to learn.

I'm in my 60's so I'm old school too.

Yes SMS is a text message.

And if you have changed or wish to change your password and ebay have sent your an email asking you to click on a link to complete the process then it is a legit email and a legit link.

I did the same thing last night, all safe and well.

photo GRUMPYCATSIGN_zpsa8f18bba.jpg
Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

eBay did not send me a link and it seems weird that you got one. Personally I would NEVER trust an email from ''eBay'' that contains a link.

I did however get an email telling me to update my password.

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply