VISA not being accepted for any purchase

had to change my VISA. 6 weeks ago tried to enter details in Ebay account - not accepted. Later was advsied to talk to Paypal, who advised I needed to verify the card. That has since been done (over a week ago), but Ebay is still rejecting the card.
When I contact chat, they tell me the "book" answer that ti is a seller limitation. This is absolutley incorrect becuase it is happening with EVERY purchase I try to make  - and I have tried at elast 10 different ones with 10 differebnt buyers.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: VISA not being accepted for any purchase

Go to HELP at top of page..... follow prompts & have ebay ring you back (you will get someone more knowledgeable). Ask to speak to a supervisor if you're getting a spiel
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

You may have the same problem I had with my Visa.

Normally with a new card it needs to be activated at an ATM but for some reason new cards couldn't be activated via traditional methods so I had to activate it via a staff member in the bank. Then it worked.

image host
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks for your response, however, I have activated the card and have been using it most everywhere, including other online purchases for about 6 weeks. It has also been successfully linked to my payPal account, and I can pay via Paypal, which then bills my VISA, so regretabbly that isn't the solution.

I will try to get them to call em via that help area which another person has suggested (thanks)... Presently I am not able to call them nor Paypal - due to Covid, their customer helplines are closed..

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

you could try 'live chat'....you'll also get a transcript sent to you
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

@george7354 wrote:

had to change my VISA. 6 weeks ago tried to enter details in Ebay account - not accepted. Later was advsied to talk to Paypal, who advised I needed to verify the card. That has since been done (over a week ago), but Ebay is still rejecting the card.
When I contact chat, they tell me the "book" answer that ti is a seller limitation. This is absolutley incorrect becuase it is happening with EVERY purchase I try to make  - and I have tried at elast 10 different ones with 10 differebnt buyers.

Might seem like a silly question but did you check to see if those 10 sellers accepted visa? I don't so just wondered

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

@george7354 wrote:

Might seem like a silly question but did you check to see if those 10 sellers accepted visa? I don't so just wondered

That would be the salient question.

Very few sellers directly accept credit cards. That is what Paypal is for. Which appears the be the OP's case.

I suspect they see the Visa, Mastercard logos in payment options without realising that those options are only available through Paypal.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

All sellers who accept PayPal can accept Visa - separate merchant facilities (where the seller processes credit / debit cards themselves) are no longer supported by eBay.

This is what eBay checkout looks like when PayPal is available, and no separate merchant facilities available:

checkout.PNG

If you select PayPal, you go to the PayPal login screen, and once logged in, select your funding source (it can be an available balance, bank account or card) and confirm payment.

If you select credit / debit card, while PayPal remains as the payment processor, there is no login process, you simply enter the card details and - all being well - continue on with payment. This second option should not require any card verification with PayPal, because both eBay and PayPal can be used as a guest, without an account with either of them. (You don't get PP buyer protection with this payment method, but you do get eBay's). 

To the OP, I can only rundown some of the more obvious troubleshooting Qs- which is probably pointless as they're probably all things you've ticked off the list already (eg has the card worked on other sites, have you double-checked all the new card details and expiry date are being entered etc - the least obvious one I can think of is that sometimes a card becomes blocked if it was involved in a chargeback, I only have a third-hand anecdote from someone who was advised by a PP rep that they do this though, plus I'm presuming even if yours was, it'd be the old card and not the new one, so I can't really offer much help, unfortunately). 

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Sadly "live chat" will only relay the "text-book" answer.. been there, done that.... very upsetting that they don;t understand that some people at the other end of the computer may also have some good knowledge about hos things work... and not prepared to escalate this issue when requested to...

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Until this issues, for the last (probably 1 year), every purchase I have made to local sellers has been with VISA, and they have ALL been accepted. I use Paypal for overseas payments becuase VISA charges me interenational bank fees.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply