Warning do not use Credit Cards on ebay with your paypal account, they just cost me $100,

Do not ever use a credit card on ebay through paypal, they just cost me $100, (more actually) I purchased a generator that never came so I got the buyer to refund the money to my paypal account,  I had paid this off my credit card, i had to becuase i needed to order another from someone else. so when i went to get my 588 dollars, pay pal owned by ebay had sent it on to my credit card. I gave no so direction, and had had no conversation with paypal or ebay as to the money this person owed me. so now to get my 588 back i have to draw cash from my f'n credit card at 20 percent, which stay until all other purchese are paid for (if you didnt know that) so that is 100 dollars i lost because they are deciding to do our banking.  I did not pay for the item with a credit card, i paid pay pal, who in turn banks it, charges the person a percentage/fees and gives them the seller cash, at no point did the seller deal with my card, at no point did i authroise him to pay it onto my card or anyone else to do so, it was banked in my paypal account and should have remained there at my direction.  Imagine the millions probably tens of millions of transactions a year where somene owes money or buys gifts and uses a credit card on someones account to purchase an item, on which each and every occassion, if there is an issue or refund they buyer will never even see the money.  Do not ever use credit cards on ebay, I will be starting groups, and i used to build websites (10 dollars buys a name and 6 dollars a month buys hosting) I will make it my lifes work to continue to keep making new sites until this practice is ended and they loses tens of millions in pay pal fees to bank transfers, yes they are the same company ebay and paypal.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Warning do not use Credit Cards on ebay with your paypal account, they just cost me $100,

well, that was such a long rant without paragraphs or space to get a breath!

But I think you need to know that if you pay by credit card though the paypal portal and you get a refund, the refund goes to your credit card not paypal.    That's the way it is.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I'm having trouble figuring this out.

According to your OP you paid $588 through Paypal, using your credit card, right?

So the money would have shown as a $500 debit on your cc account.

The same $588 was refunded back into your cc account

So the debit on your cc account has been cancelled out by the refund?

How have you lost $100?

Unless you put $588 cash into your cc account before buying the item, why do you need to withdraw it?

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Paypal ALWAYS refund to the source the money came from

if you had used cash already in your Paypal account, it would go back to your paypal a/c

however

if you fund your paypal payments via your c/card, then paypal are, by law, required to return the money to the source.

if they refund as cash to your paypal a/c that would be = to a 'cash advance' on your c/c

Paypal have acted in accordance with their rules in this case.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@enerventure wrote:

............I purchased a generator that never came so I got the buyer to refund the money to my paypal account,  I had paid this off my credit card........................I did not pay for the item with a credit card................Imagine the millions probably tens of millions of transactions a year where somene owes money or buys gifts and uses a credit card on someones account to purchase an item................

So did you fund the payment with a credit card? If so it would seem logical that the money goes back to the card.

If they did it your way I could make a purchase with my credit card, get refunded, and have the money with no bank fees as it is a purchase.I get charged an interest rate and a 2% fee (I think) on a cash advance on my credit card.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like you want a cash advance that has all the qualities of a purchase.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You have no say in the matter.

If you funded a paypal payment with a credit card then that is where the refund goes.

And a credit card is actually the safest way to fund a paypal payment...it gives you added security if a transaction goes wrong.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

The only way paypal can use a credit card is if you used it as you paid, or if you have linked it to your paypal account.

I can't see any problem here, if you pay by CC at a BM and take an item back for a refund, they will credit your CC just the same as paypal has done here.

Very hard to understand what you are saying, a few full stops and comma'smay make all the difference.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Yeh I feel that Paypal is a expensive way to pay and not good value,just bought a item worth 300au,paypal took 461us,go figure,should be called paythemselfs
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Yeah, I feel that FIVE year old threads about a totally different subject should be left to rest in peace. Or at least on page 100.

If you have a problem, start a new thread and ask a question. I'll warrant the sale used the GSP and you didn't bother reading the total price before you committed to buy.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Payirselgs will Ian nothing but fk
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply