Warranties, blacklist sellers list, App/addon available.

1- Is there a website or blacklist where you can add sellers that don't respond to warranty messages or ignor all warranty issues.

2- Is there an app/addon for say firefox or other that would allow a user to blacklist sellers so you don't accidently buy from them.

3- Another simple method would be for ebay to add a aftersales feedback that would be triggered say when you click on a warranty message to the seller. Since sellers especially the Chinese are so desperate for good feedback. This would allow a buyer to see the true value of a seller well after purchase and over time.

In Australia and other countries our hard earned rights are being erroded thanks to ebay and foreign sellers, yes ebay is protecting them. If such a blacklist, browser addon or feedback existed it may start to protect buyers and hurt both seller and ebays bottom dollar. Hence ebay may start enforcing their own policy as well as local laws. (YES I'M DREAMING!)

Somebodys pockets are well lined for I can't beleive that no government agency has ever done anything about it. A foreign company enabling paracitic foreign sellers to undermine all consumer rights with tricks and deception that everyone knows about except those who should do something about it.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

@davewil1964 wrote:

You can consider the topic closed, but as you don't own it, that is merely an opinion.

If eBay sold goods and provided warranties, you would be correct. But they don't, so you aren't.

If you can't take the time and minimal effort to do a bit of research prior to purchase, rather than expecting somebody else to do it for you, you can hardly blame anybody else when things go pear shaped.

It's not hard and you certainly don't need a degree to search the internet.

Are you kidding me? No one said ebay is the importer.

Like I said, this is the wrong place.

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

I always find it faintly amusing when members mark their own posts as solving the problem they had........true.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

it is simply impractical for overseas sellers to be held to Australian warranties.  If they were, then it would follow that Aussie sellers are held to overseas warranty standards when they sell overseas.

So, if an Aussie business was to then sell internationally they would need to know the consumer laws for ALL the countries they sell to.

Simply not practical for that to happen.

If you want an enforceable warranty then buy from an Australian registered business i.e. one with an ABN.

Now, brand warranties are a different thing.  They are enforceable, but only if the brand warranty conditions are met e.g. the item is bought from an authorised seller and a receipt is issued.

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

@walldeck10 wrote:

1- Is there a website or blacklist where you can add sellers that don't respond to warranty messages or ignor all warranty issues.

2- Is there an app/addon for say firefox or other that would allow a user to blacklist sellers so you don't accidently buy from them.

3- Another simple method would be for ebay to add a aftersales feedback that would be triggered say when you click on a warranty message to the seller. Since sellers especially the Chinese are so desperate for good feedback. This would allow a buyer to see the true value of a seller well after purchase and over time.

In Australia and other countries our hard earned rights are being erroded thanks to ebay and foreign sellers, yes ebay is protecting them. If such a blacklist, browser addon or feedback existed it may start to protect buyers and hurt both seller and ebays bottom dollar. Hence ebay may start enforcing their own policy as well as local laws. (YES I'M DREAMING!)

Somebodys pockets are well lined for I can't beleive that no government agency has ever done anything about it. A foreign company enabling paracitic foreign sellers to undermine all consumer rights with tricks and deception that everyone knows about except those who should do something about it.

Gee you seem to have a lot of bad experiences on ebay,  If I was you, I would have given up shopping online, a long time ago.

You could just about start your own list.

I wonder if Firefox or anyone else, would be willing to take on the legal liabilities associated with your blacklist idea.

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

@walldeck10 wrote:

Thanks. You just told me everything I need to know.

I consider this topic closed for it's the wrong place.

I wonder where the right place is

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

it is simply impractical for overseas sellers to be held to Australian warranties.  If they were, then it would follow that Aussie sellers are held to overseas warranty standards when they sell overseas.

So, if an Aussie business was to then sell internationally they would need to know the consumer laws for ALL the countries they sell to.

Simply not practical for that to happen.

If you want an enforceable warranty then buy from an Australian registered business i.e. one with an ABN.

Now, brand warranties are a different thing.  They are enforceable, but only if the brand warranty conditions are met e.g. the item is bought from an authorised seller and a receipt is issued.

Who are you people?

Virtually all sellers offer warranties implied or otherwise in there listings.
Ebay is the only conduit between seller and buyer

Simple scenario:

Seller X offer 5 years warranty
buyer buys product
product fails after 1 year
Buyer tries to contact seller
Seller ignores all contact.
Buyer contacts ebay, ebay has all purchase details.
Seller ignores ebay contact as well
Ebay should step in assess the situation and due contact refusal blacklist seller or at the very list allow the buyer to blacklist the seller under preferences.

Simple scenario instead of the current, 'sorry there is nothing we can do' But we are happy to allow the seller to falsely advertise warranties.

If ebay is serious about code of practice then it should do something about false advertising, which failure to respond to a buyers request, ebay or acknowledge warranty claims is.

Anyway, this is all my fault for thinking I could find a solution and not be surrounded by complacency.

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

Gee you seem to have a lot of bad experiences on ebay,  If I was you, I would have given up shopping online, a long time ago.

I wonder if Firefox or anyone else, would be willing to take on the legal liabilities associated with your blacklist idea.

Actually no, I've gotten my money back 99% of the time over the last 20 years.

What legal liabilities? Browsers read pages before loading. Browsers block cookies, JavaScript and a million other things and it would be an addon. No point in going into details.

Anyway, this is all my fault for thinking I could find a solution and not be surrounded by complacency.

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

@walldeck10 wrote:

What legal liabilities? Browsers read pages before loading. Browsers block cookies, JavaScript and a million other things and it would be an addon. No point in going into details.

This is your new catchcry is it?

Nothwithstanding what you THINK should be the case, the legalities are different. Neither eBay nor any government agency has any control of foreign sellers.

If you want goods with 5 year warranties, go to a shop, or buy from a registered AUSTRALIAN business with an ABN, as Sir Sales suggested.

eBay won't and can't do anything; the Australian government won't and can't do anything. You, however, can do some due diligence before purchasing. Like checking where a seller is registered. Even if their goods are in Australia as claimed, it doesn't mean they are, in which case my comments above apply.

You've mentioned Chinese sellers - why would you think they care about anything but the mighty Renminbi? Most of them are poor and making fools of gweilo is not only socially sanctioned, it is good face.

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

@walldeck10 wrote:

Who are you people?

Virtually all sellers offer warranties implied or otherwise in there listings.
Ebay is the only conduit between seller and buyer

Simple scenario:

Seller X offer 5 years warranty
buyer buys product
product fails after 1 year
Buyer tries to contact seller
Seller ignores all contact.
Buyer contacts ebay, ebay has all purchase details.
Seller ignores ebay contact as well
Ebay should step in assess the situation and due contact refusal blacklist seller or at the very list allow the buyer to blacklist the seller under preferences.

who are we? We are just regular members who come here out of the goodness of our hearts to help those who have questions or problems related to their eBaying.

While you might not like the replies you are getting, there is nothing wrong with the replies.  Most members who post here know that warranties on eBay products generally aren’t worth the paper they are printed on . . . unless they are from an Australian registered business with an ABN.

Warranties on items from China . . . fantasy land, not enforceable.

Warranties from non-business eBay sellers (like me) . . . fantasy land, generally not enforceable unless the item has residual manufacturer warranty, and even then you have to claim off the manufacturer (where manufacturer allows for non-original owner claims).

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

@walldeck10 wrote:

Why do you think you are not able to name and shame on this forum.  Could it be the owners of the site, dont want to spend the rest of their life paying to fight or settle defamation claims.  Are you aware that news sites etc can now be held liable for any user comments etc tthat may appear on their sites.

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply