What % Should l Look for when Buying from a Seller ? It seems to Differ So Much.

Is there a " Golden Rule " to follow when choosing which Seller to Buy from ? l cannot help but notice the wide range in the % Grades.  Thank you very much.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What % Should l Look for when Buying from a Seller ? It seems to Differ So Much.

@gr8t_items_are_here wrote:

Is there a " Golden Rule " to follow when choosing which Seller to Buy from ? l cannot help but notice the wide range in the % Grades.  Thank you very much.

One thing you need to do, rather than just check the %, is to go into the actual feedback and have a look at how much of that % is as a seller and how much is as a buyer.

Sometimes people may have a feedback score of eg 200 and a 100% rating and they look wonderful, but if they have only sold one or two things, then they are very new to selling. And buyers can only get positive feedback.

Personally, I'd say if it drops below 99% it is well worth a double check. It's always worth a check anyway, no matter what the score. You need to cast your eyes over any negs and neutrals to see if there is a trend.

You also need to see where the seller is registered.

I'm with countess. Don't go buying anything electrical from China or overseas and if you want a warranty, go to a proper shop.

In fact, if I were you, I'd avoid big purchases altogether on ebay for a while.

Small, occasional sellers can have their % feedback trashed by just one disgruntled person so read that feedback and make your own call. Sometimes you can see that a buyer was totally unreasonable. 

I have, in the past, bought with no problem from a seller like that whose feedback was only about 80% but I could see their neg was unfair and the ad itself seemed very genuine. My purchase went smoothly.

With every purchase you make though, no matter what the % score, ask yourself-what if something goes wrong, how easy will it be to get a refund or return this item? If it says it has a warranty, how would I be able to make a claim if I am not buying from a proper retailer?  How do I know it is genuine? (Remember, ebay won't help with warranties & most ads on ebay that say there is a warranty are not to be trusted).

All in all, Australian based sellers are your best bet, and steer clear of most tech stuff.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

compare their feedback, then cost

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

If they are a high volume seller, then 99.5% is generally considered the minimum

Always best to look at and read the feedback for yourself though

% alone is'nt really telling you very much

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Yes… 99.5%, but not as an automatic application. Look where the seller is registered, and make a judgement including that information, as well as the negative comments over last 12 months, your own experience with the seller (if any), and if item needs a warranty, make sure seller is an Australian registered seller authorised to sell that item.

If it’s a small occasional seller, a poorer feedback score may not be representative of the seller, and I’d just say that you should use your gut instinct.

It’s easier to tell you who to avoid. I say as a rigid unbreakable rule that I would never never never buy electronic items from a Chinese seller, whether or not they are listed as unbranded. I’m also very wary about antique items on eBay nowadays; expensive fakes abound and I sort-of nearly got caught out with a particular item from the 1500s supposedly imported into England during the 1700s. 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

If you are looking for a particular item, then on their feedback page, you will find a search bar, just above the feedback numbers.

It has Gibson guitars written in it, but ignore that, and type in the listing heading of the item you are thinking of buying -

Search feedback.jpg

It will give you feedback from everyone who's bought it (and left fb for it)

That will tell you if it's any good or not in my opinion.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@gr8t_items_are_here wrote:

One thing you need to do, rather than just check the %, is to go into the actual feedback and have a look at how much of that % is as a seller and how much is as a buyer.

Sometimes people may have a feedback score of eg 200 and a 100% rating and they look wonderful, but if they have only sold one or two things, then they are very new to selling. And buyers can only get positive feedback.

Personally, I'd say if it drops below 99% it is well worth a double check. It's always worth a check anyway, no matter what the score. You need to cast your eyes over any negs and neutrals to see if there is a trend.

You also need to see where the seller is registered.

I'm with countess. Don't go buying anything electrical from China or overseas and if you want a warranty, go to a proper shop.

In fact, if I were you, I'd avoid big purchases altogether on ebay for a while.

Small, occasional sellers can have their % feedback trashed by just one disgruntled person so read that feedback and make your own call. Sometimes you can see that a buyer was totally unreasonable. 

I have, in the past, bought with no problem from a seller like that whose feedback was only about 80% but I could see their neg was unfair and the ad itself seemed very genuine. My purchase went smoothly.

With every purchase you make though, no matter what the % score, ask yourself-what if something goes wrong, how easy will it be to get a refund or return this item? If it says it has a warranty, how would I be able to make a claim if I am not buying from a proper retailer?  How do I know it is genuine? (Remember, ebay won't help with warranties & most ads on ebay that say there is a warranty are not to be trusted).

All in all, Australian based sellers are your best bet, and steer clear of most tech stuff.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

100% ..........

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you to All for your Time & Honest Advice. Yes, Good Point, do not "write off" an 88%er, check all the Facts out.  Sadly, l have "seen" some rather Nasty Buyer Comments. Communication is also an important factor, both ways. Cheers, 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply