What to do re missing parcel? Will Australia Post take responsibility, is it worth pursuing?

Hi all, long term eBayer here, mainly a buyer but have also been a seller of odds and ends of my own over the years - this is my first time posting on the boards though as I have a dilemma and I'm not sure how best to proceed.

In all my ebaying years I think I only ever had one parcel go missing years ago, and I think in that case the seller sent me a replacement.  More recently I had a bad transaction with a new seller who clearly did not send my item (I think she wasn't happy with the final price she got) and she provided fake tracking numbers and told all sorts of lies in her emails (they were quite funny to read as she kept contradicting herself) so in the end I lodged a claim with Paypal and was able to get a refund.

I don't recall ever having one single parcel that I have sent myself as a seller go missing, so here I am for some advice as despite my years of eBay experience, I haven't really had much at all in dealing with missing items.

I recently purchased two tops from the same seller who sent them via Express Post.  I purchased and paid for them on Sunday 29/9, then late that week realised that they should have arrived as they were express post.  So, I checked my ebay and saw that the seller had marked the items as posted on the Monday 30/9 and also included a tracking number.

I checked the Aus Post Website and it said 'Delivered' and a Suburb name on 1/10.  Now that's where it gets interesting as I have a padlock on my mailbox and nothing but letters can be fit in the slot, so I was actually expecting to receive a collection card from my local PO.

So, I sent a message to the seller to re-confim the details, she confirmed that the tracking number was correct, she has a receipt, the item was sent on 30/9, and she also has a pic of the parcel and confirmed correct address.

Next step was a trip to my local PO (it was impossible to actually get them on the phone!) and they did a search but had nothing for me.  I then visited the St Kilda DC (which is sometimes where parcels go when they are large) and they also had nothing for me.

The seller kindly lodged an enquiry with Aus Post.  Aus Post have now responded with some story that they 'spoke to the postman and he said he remembers delivering it'.  Well, I have a couple of issues with that, the first being how the h*ll he could remember one parcel from 2 weeks ago in a street with heaps of apartments and presumably lots of parcels, and more importantly, this can't be true as I have a lock on my mailbox.

So the seller has now suggested I contact Aus Post myself with the case number and see if I can get anywhere. 

She also offered me a half refund, but I don't see why either of us should be out of pocket if she has done the right thing and it's Aus Post's stuff up.  I believe that the seller did send the items - so I think Aus Post should be responsible as they have lost it.  However I'm not sure whether it's worth escalating to a complaint - do they even pay compensation?  I'm willing to sign a stat dec to confirm I have not received the parcel. 

I paid for the items with paypal, however I think if I made a paypal claim then the seller would be the one out of pocket and that's not fair either.

The other reason I am teed off with Aus Post is that the other day I noticed they'd left a small box on top of the brick bank of letterboxes out front of my apartment - I picked it up thinking it was rubbish, but it was a parcel addressed to someone in my building who also has a lock on their mailbox - so the postie just left it sitting on top right on the street for anyone to take.  I wish I'd taken a picture now, perhaps that's what they did with my parcel and then someone walking past has snatched it.

Has anyone successfully pursued Aus Post for compensation?  Was it a nightmare?  Not sure whether to just accept the half refund and move on, or whether to escalate and complain.  We're talking 60 odd dollars here, however it's the principle of the thing.

Would be grateful to hear about others who have had a similar experience, or who can offer some advice.

Message 1 of 78
Latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

What to do re missing parcel? Will Australia Post take responsibility, is it worth pursuing?

If you commence a PayPal claim, I suspect that your seller will win anyway as they do have proof of postage, a tracking number AND "delivery". So I can't see anything to be gained by going down that route, even if you wanted to.

As for the compensation, the seller can raise the claim (I don't think that you can). Aus Post has a discressionary payment of up to $50 (I'm not sure if this includes postage cost)

They lost a parcel that I had sent, they had tracked it as delivered but my customer was adamant that they had not received it. From memory though, Aus Post could only confirm that the parcel had reached the delivery centre, their post man had no recall.

Initially they readily offered a refund of the postage cost, but I held my ground and they reluctantly conceded to also reimburse the amount of the sale price of the package.

So I received the cost of postage and the $20 that the customer had paid for the item. (I had already refunded the buyer)

Your seller will need to be firm and tell them that they failed to do their job - ie they are in breach of contract, cos they will try to dodge, weave and avoid the discressionary payment.

Best of luck with it.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 78
Latest reply

Australia Post representatives have been quite active on these forums and if you want to check out this thread you might find a contact link which may be of help

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/What-the-hell-is-up-with-AusPost/td-p/738037/page/2

I would certainly follow up with Australia Post this problem as the fact that tracking shows it was delivered when obviously your letterbox had a padlock on it,  your item should have been carded. 

Good luck

Message 3 of 78
Latest reply

Is the suburb it shows as delivered to yours or is it the one for the delivery centre? either way you should open a Payal dispute and if the suburb is yours yu will then have to jump through a lot of hoops to get a refund, if it is not the suburb in the Paypal dispute and Paypal find in the seller's favour call Paypal and tell them the tracking does not show delivery to your suburb so you would like a refund.

If the seller has sufficient proof they have posted for seller protection then it is u to them to fight that out with Paypal who should cover the cost of the refund.

You should also put in an official complaint to AP although anyone in your yard can accept the parcel unless it is a person to person delivery.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 78
Latest reply

Thanks for the replies everyone - phorum_junkie the tracking shows as 'Delivered - St Kilda' my suburb is St Kilda East, which is separate from St Kilda and has a different post code.

I will definitely be lodging a forma complaint with AP.

Message 5 of 78
Latest reply

keep emphasizing the different postcodes - that's your key to winning this thing!

woo hoo.gif

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 6 of 78
Latest reply

Hey Guys,

Definitely shoot us an email at http://bit.ly/17gc84F . You can even just cut and paste your eBay message into the online form. We’ll then get back to you initially in 48 working hours.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Rory K

Australia Post eBay Team

Message 7 of 78
Latest reply

Hi Mossvegas; The only parcel I've ever had go astray (touch wood) was one for St K East. When tracked it was found at St K sorting centre & returned to me & I had to resend to the customer for delivery. This parcel too was for an apartment block & the buyer had not been carded. In order for the parcel to be tracked & found I had to be very adamant, lodge a lost parcel claim, speak to AP on the phone, threaten to go to the Ombudsman & etc. Keep nagging & something may be done! Good Luck!

Message 8 of 78
Latest reply

AUSTRALIA POST CONTRACTOR STOLE MY PARCEL.! On 21 April 2016, Dandenong, Victoria 3175

Original Thread link below;

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Australia-Post-Contractor-Stole-My-Parcel-Dandenong-Victoria/...

I ordered a laptop on ebay. seller sent it via Parcel post+signature. I kept tracking it from the office and finally it was on board with the driver. All of a sudden parcel was delivered at 11.51am when I was at work.
When I went home no card was left, nobody in the apartment complex has seen it. Item was simply vanished.

Called Auspost up and the operator told me someone has signed for it. How could it be? I was at work. He said there is some scribble starting with my First name. Asked me to send my licence to confirm my signature. Still awaiting for an answer from them.

In the meantime i did some research. Guess what? im not the only one. So many people have lost their parcels similar way. They were simply signed and delivered, but not the receiver who signed for it.

My incident happend in Dandenong vic 3175, Beware guys there is a thief delivering parcels for auspost in dandenong. I cant submit a paypal claim coz item was delivered. Insurance dont cover anything because again it has been delivered. Ive lost money and item.

Im sure Australia post doesnt do anything about this. This is not the first time, Ive had incidents with Startrack (owned by Auspost now) months back where they forgot to pick up my item from the warehouse 3 times in a row. and when received it box was damaged, but item was fine.

The Driver probably still has my laptop. This was dispatched from Clayton South, Vic distribution centre. If Auspost authorities read this, Please track down the driver. Delivery time as per tracking 11:51am Thu 21 Apr Dandenong, VIC.

http://s31.postimg.org/eb68jcqwr/auspost.png

Thank you

Message 9 of 78
Latest reply

I the last three months I have had 9 ebay items just dissapear via Austpost, they come up delivered in the system and when you talk to post office they say they have past them onto a courier of name "abc..."  a person I dont know and they have no tracking after that.

So basically I am out of $200+ with no goods for it. It seems AUSTPOST can track a parcel and them give it to some contractor to be delivered and then dissapear and they dont care.

Sick of it!!!!!!

Message 10 of 78
Latest reply