When Opals arn't aussie opals beaware?

Introduction: I've been admiring Australian opals all my life, buying and selling opal jewellry from and through Aussie pawn shops as a teenager (18 years), as an matured adult I've been given opal potch in the past from miners to practice old school cutting and polishing by hand. Either from lightning ridge or coober pedy (google them?). For years now I opal hunt on ebay! Most people are honest on where their opal comes from, but lately I've discovered scrupulous sellers in India declaring there Ethiopian african opal rough is from lightning ridge!

This is strictly for the enthusiast among yous?

See for yaselves: image

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: When Opals arn't aussie opals beaware?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Anyone serious about opals would be aware that if a member is registered in India they are unlikely to be selling genuine Aussie opals.

I would be a bit wary of buying any opals on ebay unless I could buy from a seller who also has a B & M shop.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

In other words, if you can not tell the difference between one opal and another dont bid on it! Remember if you decide to hoilday at coober pedy, lightning ridge or Andamooka, And you go on opal scavenger hunts of abandoned mining opal piles? You need a good eye and some advice from your guide!! As opal is geologically grown under the ground and not in a shop!

Forums on the internet never change, but soon trollying/bullying behavior will be banned or ego based biased and self-importance that is dishonest at the expence of other's will have consequences when democracy finally comes to the internet!!

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

As long as they ban motherhood, teach your grandma to suck eggs, statements at the same time.

Would that be American democracy, where nobody votes, except those who care, and aren't gerrymandered? Or Australian democracy, where everybody votes, and nobody cares, including the pollies?

And given it has been reliably estimated that no more than 5% of eBay members ever visit the boards, and most of those don't hang around, would 50% of buggaall not many be democratic in your view?

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@madeofcarbon68 wrote:

In other words, if you can not tell the difference between one opal and another dont bid on it! Remember if you decide to hoilday at coober pedy, lightning ridge or Andamooka, And you go on opal scavenger hunts of abandoned mining opal piles? You need a good eye and some advice from your guide!! As opal is geologically grown under the ground and not in a shop!

Forums on the internet never change, but soon trollying/bullying behavior will be banned or ego based biased and self-importance that is dishonest at the expence of other's will have consequences when democracy finally comes to the internet!!

What the????

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@madeofcarbon68 wrote:

Probably a good reason to stay away from internet forums then. Yeah?

Why would anyone need to google Lightning Ridge or Coober Pedy? Do you think we are all fools?

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply