Where are the GST receipts? On ebay or Paypal

6o7o8o
Community Member

Hi

I just bought an item over $1000 from the US and for customs forms I need to show proof of GST payment.

Does anyone know where this is?

I've looked for advise all morning but still can't find it.

Regards

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

25% if they are lucky Padi.....the average payments are more likely to be 30-40% depending on the tax rate of the actual item.

I am still puzzled how they know GST has been paid if they cannot find a record of it.

Message 21 of 34
Latest reply

@6o7o8o wrote:
Thanks shoppingbag* it was in my Paypal account under eBay Australia & New Zealand.....I may have been 'double-dipped' if I hadn't found that.
Unusual as I rang and 2 out of 3 homeaffairs spokespersons on the phone said that shouldn't have happened and that I should have paid on the border

Which is exactly what you have been told on this thread by everyone who has answered you.

Message 22 of 34
Latest reply

@6o7o8o wrote:
I may have been 'double-dipped' if I hadn't found that.
Unusual as I rang and 2 out of 3 homeaffairs spokespersons on the phone said that shouldn't have happened and that I should have paid on the border

So have customs released the parcel without any furthur duty to be paid ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 23 of 34
Latest reply

@6o7o8o wrote:
Thanks shoppingbag* it was in my Paypal account under eBay Australia & New Zealand.....I may have been 'double-dipped' if I hadn't found that.

This may end up happening anyway, at least temporarily.

The current rules are if you paid GST at the point of sale but customs request GST and duties at the border, you have to pay customs and seek a refund from the seller (or in this case, eBay). 

You may be able to avoid it if the seller marks down on the package that GST has already been paid, and include eBay's ABN - there was a thread here a while back that detailed what to write, but I can't find it just at the moment. I'll post a link if I do. 

Edited to add - couldn't find the thread, but this is what the seller needs to add:

eBay’s ABN # 64 652 016 681
Customs Code: PAID

According to this article, ebay was planning on automatically adding that into buyer's addresses if the package is shipping to Aus and GST was collected, but I'm not sure if that's happened yet. 

Message 24 of 34
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

According to this article, ebay was planning on automatically adding that into buyer's addresses if the package is shipping to Aus and GST was collected, but I'm not sure if that's happened yet. 

Forgot to link to the article:

https://tamebay.com/2018/08/ebay-started-collecting-gst-australia-says-sellers.html

Message 25 of 34
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Edited to add - couldn't find the thread, but this is what the seller needs to add:

eBay’s ABN # 64 652 016 681
Customs Code: PAID

this might be the one

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/GST-on-all-imports-July-2018/m-p/2169045#M91945

Message 26 of 34
Latest reply

Yes, thank you 🙂 No wonder I couldn't find it, for some reason I thought the post that started the discussion along that line was a unique thread. 

Message 27 of 34
Latest reply

Spoiler
I remembered that the seller that had posted that info was from Israel.  So, a buying board search for “Israel” was all it took.
Message 28 of 34
Latest reply

That's a lot better than mine... Smiley LOL

I couldn't remember much of the details, except that someone was asking what they need to include when shipping from another country to Aus, so searched the buying board for 'GST' and looked through every thread title since July, hoping to spot one that matched what I was expecting. unsure

Side note.... There have been a lot of angry threads about the GST since July. Smiley LOL

Message 29 of 34
Latest reply

Still waiting for that 'email' from customs
Message 30 of 34
Latest reply