Why do some sellers wait until they receive feedback from the buyer before leaving their feedback

Why do some sellers wait until they receive feedback from the buyer before they leave their feedback about the buyer??

I Always pay as soon as a transaction is made, unless I'm waiting for another auction from the same seller to end, in which case I contact seller and let them know.

Many sellers give feedback as soon as sale is paid for, but I have noticed that some wait until I leave my feedback (when I've received the goods). Are they waiting to see if I'm going to leave neutral/ neg. feedback before they're prepared to give me positive for my fast transaction/payment??

Thankyou to the sellers who have the confidence to judge me on my performance.

Woman Happy

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Why do some sellers wait until they receive feedback from the buyer before leaving their feedback

I thought the buyer had to pay for the product, not guarantee they would be happy with the item, I am puzzled as to how this equates to no feedback for the buyer if they are not happy with the product? It really sounds like blackmail to me.
Message 31 of 44
Latest reply

If you send me a dirty shoddy item described as "NEW" I should say I am happy??? and leave you Positive feedback, otherwise get no feedback from you (may not get any anyway) even though I paid for the item straight away???
Message 32 of 44
Latest reply

I guess if you want to come across as a very rude seller, then you don't need to leave any feedack. There is no excuse for bad manners and this is what this is all about.   It's all about consideration and respect, which I give to others and expect the same in return.

Message 33 of 44
Latest reply

It is 5 months since this thread was active......I don't imagine many of the previous posters will be back as the subject was thoroughly discussed.

Those sellers who do see your posts may well save you the trouble of asking for feedback by placing you on their special lists.

Message 34 of 44
Latest reply

Highly likely.

Although to save the bumper from actually reading the posts I will ask - What use is feedback to you? Can you sell it, use it to get a better deal? Do you realise that sellers can ONLY leave positive feedback, or none? I'm sure a shonky seller who has done the wrong thing will be happy for you not to leave a negative if they haven't given you a positive first.

Edit: eBay allow a seller to set their account up to leave AUTOMATIC positive feedback on receipt of same from the buyer. So even eBay don't necessarily agree. And buyer who don't leave feedback don't get it, AUTOMATICALLY

Message 35 of 44
Latest reply

@diamond-halo wrote:

I can't see the point in leaving feedback for someone just cos they paid me, Isn't that sort of an expectation?

I mostly leave it because it is kind of an expectation on here, as if people are buying feedback, not product. It's not like it really tells anyone anything doifferent to what we already know, eh? I mean a seller can only leave a positive dot with a positive comment, so if there's a dot there, chances are it doesn't really say anything.

Not sure why people need a pat on the back for managing to buy and pay for something on eBay - I mean apparently that's something that lots of pets and children manage to do, in one instance, somone's car keys managed it!

i manage to thank my customers and show my appreciation by including a small note in my package, packaging it well after wrapping it nicely and posting it promptly.

totally agree with "diamond"

Message 36 of 44
Latest reply

@ shoppingbag* wrote:

I guess if you want to come across as a very rude seller, then you don't need to leave any feedack. There is no excuse for bad manners and this is what this is all about.   It's all about consideration and respect, which I give to others and expect the same in return.

but you are not respecting a seller's right to leave feedback once they consider a transaction completed by your statement that you should get feedback once you have paid.  You are also not respecting a seller's right, as given to them by eBay, to leave no feedback if they do not wish to.  This right is also bestowed upon buyers, and they can exercise that right if they do not receive feedback when they think it should be given.

When I joined eBay it was to buy stuff, not to accumulate lots of meaningless pats on the back from sellers.  I mean, my first feedback on this ID was "Instant payment! Hassle free transaction, Perfect buyer! thanks so much!" . . . . . but how would this seller know that I was a prefect buyer?  Most comments like "excellent buyer" and "A++++++ " are essentially meaningless.

When I buy something at Target or Coles I do not expect the cashier to say to me "Instant payment, excellent buyer, perfect transaction" just because I pay for my purchase . . . . . I mean, that's what I have to do to take the stuff with me.

Message 37 of 44
Latest reply

Bet this seller is pleased he doesn't leave feedback once a buyer has paid.......

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Seller-refusing-to-provide-tracking-number-and-ignoring-email...

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 38 of 44
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
As a seller i always leave feedback once i post the item which is always within 1 business day after payment.

One thing buyers need to realise is that only about 50% of buyers actually leave any feedback at all.

It was pointed out that feedback is totally voluntary and neither the buyer or the seller actually have to leave any feedback at all.

i always leave feedback... unfortunately only half the buyers leave me feedback which annoys me but what can you do.

Some sellers actually hold off on leaving feedback because they think that the % of buyers that leave feedback is greater if they hold off on leaving feedback until the buyer does.
Message 39 of 44
Latest reply

I can appreciate that feedback has a valid use for identifying shonky sellers and new buyers like to get a few quality feedback scores on the board, but once you have fourty or fifty, I just dont get what the big deal is. Sellers can only leave Positive feedback for buyers, so if you are a buyer only, you will always have 100 % pos feedback. Personally I come to ebay to sell ( and occasionally buy ) things to people who want them. Once the buyer pays, my aim is to pack their item well, mail it quickly and attend to any issues such as postage refunds for combined postage promptly. Once the buyer has recieved their item and are happy with it, the transaction is complete. By providing speedy service & attending to any little problems quickly, a seller has shown respect and appreciation to thier customers. I dont feel the need to get involved in ebays "smiley stamp" scheme for buyers. SORRY FOLKS.

Message 40 of 44
Latest reply