Why does eBay account seller to modify postage after accepting best offer?

I bought this bag from a 0 feedback seller, it was listed buy it now for 79.95, with free postage specified, so I offered $40 best offer, which is the max amount I want to spend on this bag. Then I received invoice of $53.5, the seller added $13.5 postage cost himself.  

I contacted the seller, his reply was 

Hi,

The postage is only free if you pay the full price of $79.95.

eBay's rules state that if you purchase by making an offer below that, then postage is payable.

I have to say that at $40 plus postage for this extremely well made bag you are getting a bargain.

I would not find that anywhere, and  eBay clearly states that

If the seller has specified postage costs for the item, it is not negotiable. If however, the seller has requested that the buyer contact the seller for postage costs, the buyer can offer the seller a price for the item plus postage costs in a single offer. The buyer would then simply add, Including postage to the message box.

From my understand, free postage is specified postage cost.

I spoke to ebay chat, and as usually, they does not know anything about ebay rules and just make up BS on the spot from his butt until I repeated asked him/her to show me the his BS on eBay rule. Transcript attached, read it to see how incompetent these eBay employees are.

Anyways, I think the community would probably know about eBay rule than eBay employees themselves. 

So, first why do eBay allow seller to change the postage cost if it it already specified after accepting the best offer? 

And second where should I go from here? The guy from the ebay chat asked me to file a case, where do I go to file the case?

linked to the transcript

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6DfW2X25tuNYTc0bTRmaWdvNEU/view?usp=sharing

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Why does eBay account seller to modify postage after accepting best offer?

This is so confronting and honestly I was deeply hurt by the community, especially that member who said my behaviour was "taking unfair advantage" simply because I stood my ground and asked the seller to rectify his mistake. 

At first I was confused and I thought I was getting scammed, then I realised it might be just a simple mistake from the seller which all worked out fine between us, how the community have been so aggressive towards me for not giving in seller's mistake.

Message 31 of 38
Latest reply

Kuro

You did nothing wrong. You made an offer, they accepted. They had a choice to say yes or no.

I doubt your middle name is charity but some on here think it is.

Message 32 of 38
Latest reply

@aps1080 wrote:
I find it hard to believe you guys are blaming the buyer / op.

If you don't want the sale, say no to the offer. Or come back to them with what might be acceptable.
I bought one item from a seller who had a 2nd similar item in almost new condition for sale but it finished 2 days later.
I asked if she would do a buy it now and end the listing early. She said yes and came back $4 more than i had bid.
I was stunned (it had quite a few watchers and bidders) and had expected another 20 - 40 dollars. What am i supposed to do,
tell her to put the price up ???? Get real, i had succeeded in knocking out the other bidders and watchers by having the item removed fom sale, getting it for peanuts was a bonus.

If you want postage paid on lower offers, say so in the description.

I as a seller said in the description i would modify the postage down if it was going to cost me less
And i did so.

You dont have to sell items if you don want to. He accepted an offer.

So you got the item that had a lot of bids & watchers & saved you an estimated $20-$40 more than if you had bid & you complain about paying $4 more than your bid? Seller was mad for ripping herself off & risking a low DSR from you for her efforts.So was the O.P's seller for accepting that rude offer.Did you give her low DSR for something?Either of you aps or OP?

I'm never stunned about $4 for anything.I am however annoyed to get offers from eBayers teling me that the want to pay $12 for a pr of expensive jeans including post.Hmmm $3.85 without fees for a pr of Nudie jeans  in perfect condition? I don't think so! & I don't do Best Offer to invite bargain hunters haggling either.

Free post is a myth,the cost is built into the item price to pay for it.You offer lowball 50% or whatever it was, off prices & still expect free post too? OP Keep complaining & giving low ratings for all these terrible sellers who have the hide to sell for a profit on this ugly site.

Buyers want free post & cheap new stuff so all eBay will have to offer will be $1-$10 cheap plastic fake everything from China.

No the buyer isn't a charity indeed: (justify it how you want Smiley Indifferent) but neither is the seller or eBay for that matter.

Message 33 of 38
Latest reply

I only hope the seller now puts an auto-reject on ridiculous offers. Or dumps 'best' offer entirely.

My issue with the OP, as it seems to be with most, is the ridiculous offer in the first place. I wouldn't even see it.

Message 34 of 38
Latest reply

narelle

I wasn't complaining about the $4 more, I was stunned as in surprised she didn't say more when I asked her what she was expecting.

She came back with it and I said yes, bang, done. not my problem if she wants to sell it me for that amount.

I was also surprised she did it as she was the one who told me it had lots of views and watchers.

"I don't do Best Offer to invite bargain hunters haggling either."

Best advice I've seen. I might be more upfront than others but you can always send someone a message.

If they want cheap Jeans, send them to Rivers Smiley Very Happy

Message 35 of 38
Latest reply

Fair enough i think  that she should have discussed it before just charging the extra $4A bit rude..I still would have been happy to get the big saving regardless.

The last couple of unsolicited offers i just ignored & blocked as i couldn't be bothered after the last 1 i answered.That was a seller who msg me wanting me to post a 570g pr of jeans in a 500g satchel.I explained that the P.O weighs & will chrgr more if it's over.All i got back was a foul mouthed rant about the cost of post & that i could shove them somewhere.(i offer exact  A.P & add the item weight to the listing).She hadn't even put a bid on & i never gave her a chance to after that.

There was a post the other day from a guy who put a Best Offer of 90c on a $1 item & it got rejected.I don't nitpick over small change & I don't haggle.It's tedious.

Message 36 of 38
Latest reply

Thank you for your detailed answer, I think it answered a question I had as a new seller, thinking that the $10 flat-rate postage I specified for a $30 item will not cover the international postage charge, so an option would be to counter-offer an amount that would include a higher postage? 

Message 37 of 38
Latest reply

@leafy888 wrote:

Thank you for your detailed answer, I think it answered a question I had as a new seller, thinking that the $10 flat-rate postage I specified for a $30 item will not cover the international postage charge, so an option would be to counter-offer an amount that would include a higher postage? 

That answer was given 6 YEARS ago, start your own thread for more up to date answers.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 38 of 38
Latest reply