Why were my discount vouchers cancelled on 31/12/2018 and not on 01/01/2019 per the conditions?

vheve
Community Member

I had 2 vouchers due to expire tomorrow as stated in the conditions, but today they have disappeared from my summary page (when the summary page actually shows instead of the purchase history) and are no longer valid at checkout.  P5OFF & PERCENT5 I believe.  Did I misinterpret the eBay conditions? I had not used the vouchers for the transaction limit and they both appeared on my summary screen yesterday 30/12/2018.

Message 1 of 61
Latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Why were my discount vouchers cancelled on 31/12/2018 and not on 01/01/2019 per the conditions?

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@sam22312 wrote:

Incorrect.

Not sure why the listing does not show via the item number. It was not removed by eBay, but it sits in my Unpaid item list.

I purchased the item, but via checkout the code they listed did not work.

Just because you have bought the item it does not mean it has not been removed by ebay.  Have you checked your emails?  If the item has not been removed it should show in Completed Listings when the item number is searched for.

The seller told me to wait a day to pay so i could use a new code.

But i am :

1. Yet to see a new code today to use, and

2. Not sure if the new code would apply to an item bought the previous day, yet not paid for.

There is no guarantee that ebay is going to give us any more discount codes in the near future.....one of the recent 5% codes was in force for well over 3 months.....it rolled over twice that I know of.  The second 5% code was active for 3 months.  It is a pity they were pulled early as I still had one use that I was saving to use today.

100% agree. They should not asume eBay will again add a code the next day.

The new code (if there is one) will be usable on any items that are still to be paid for. That is what i was wondering. They are only activated when you put them in when going through Checkout and paying with paypal.

I want the item, but for the advertised price including the discount of 5%.

For the record, in this instance I don't think a seller should quote eBay's coupon discount codes as to me, it may falsely gives a buyer the incorrect price SHOULD eBay withdraw the code before a purchase is paid for via check out.

Leave the discounting up to eBay to highlight any savings......

The sellers do NOT quote the ebay codes The item i bought WAS advertised quoting the code 'P5OFF'. in both the descrption and title.......ebay themselves put them on the listings.  In many cases the sellers do not even know about the codes and think they are being robbed.  It is only when they come to the boards that they learn that ebay is paying the discount amount and they will not be out of pocket.

The discount amounts only show on listings if that particular listing fills all the criteria such as price etc.  The codes can still be used for other items if you add more items in the Cart. 

The only codes that may be set up by the seller (or at least known about by the seller) are codes that are seller specific.....the general 5% recent ones are site wide for every buyer and every seller.

Ps: not from a seller starting with A.

Message 21 of 61
Latest reply

Apart from the possibly wrong item number you've provided (or as lyndal has said the item has been removed by eBay), some of your statements conflict with each other :-

1. "I purchased the item, but via checkout the code they listed did not work."

2. " I want the item, but for the advertised price including the discount of 5%."

Are you saying that you pressed the "commit to buy" icon on the listing?

Regarding the seller saying "wait a day for a new code" ,  nobody outside of eBay knows when a new code will appear or whether it will be restricted to certain stores or is sitewide.

Recheck the item number you gave us, it could be that you've transposed a couple of mumbers or something.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 22 of 61
Latest reply

@sam22312 wrote:

So as a buyer, if seller uses the advert including the coupon code to sell their product at a reduced price, then eBay pull the code early, is the seller falsely advertising an invalid code, or is it eBay's fault?

I think this is an interesting question - I see sellers do this a lot, put banners in their images, or have the code mentioned in subtitles, but whether or not those remain when a code is no longer valid would count as false advertising in the strictest sense, I think it might depend on how it is framed (i.e. do they suggest the seller is providing a code, or are they encouringing buyers to take advantage of a code offered by eBay, while it lasts - if the latter, then it is framed as being subject to eBay's T&Cs which is often "offer is good, until it's not". The actual wording in their T&Cs for these offers are: "Offer Period. This offer is available for a limited time only, for as long as it is advertised by eBay on www.ebay.com.au (“Offer Period”). eBay reserves the right to cancel the offer at any time"). 

That being said, it's actually against eBay policy for sellers to advertise discount codes - my guess is this is one of the reasons why. 

Message 23 of 61
Latest reply

You cannot buy the item at the discounted price if the discount has expired.   The system does not allow it.

My theory is that ebay reserves the right to end discounts early in case there are too many members using them.

Ebay must have an advertising budget for each promotion so when it is getting close they just pull the promotion.

Message 24 of 61
Latest reply

I've also seen  sellers put the code into their listings, so it's not just the OP.

As for the vouchers, unless it's been said previously, in the T & C's it states

that ebay can remove them at any time.

So   crying.gif is about all you can do about it.

The vouchers aren't even listed as expired on this website -

https://www.couponese.com/store/ebay.com.au/

Message 25 of 61
Latest reply

The offers are shown as Expired once they have reached their official expiry date.  The 5% vouchers being discussed are only due to expire today.  Check the site tomorrow and see if they are there.

I had two 5% codes showing last night....one showed Redeemed as I had used it 3 times which was the limit.  The other one had been used twice and was showing an expiry date of today....until ebay pulled both of them.   There is no sign of either of them.

Message 26 of 61
Latest reply

Hi,

just to clarify.

Yes, i purchased the item.

when i went through the process to pay, the code the seller listed did not work.

so i advised them, and they said pay today instead of yesterday, as a new code will be issued.

Not sure how if they do know when ebay puts them out.

See screenshot below. Not sure why item number does not work.

Note the title description including the discount in the unpaid item. P5OFF <---------

Screenshot_2019-01-01-15-26-18.png

Message 27 of 61
Latest reply

Fair enough if ebay wants to cancel it's offers at any time, but the thing that really irritates me is that they didn't even have the decency to mark the voucher as expired like they usually do.  I was all set to purchase a couple of items using one of the remaining 2 or three gos I had left at using the two codes displayed on my ebay home page you all know what happened.

The other annoying thing is that one of the voucher codes did not display on my summary page until I used it once. I found the code PERCENT5 advertised on an item listing, not sure if it was "pay only $$$ click here to see how" or shown in the picture of the item for sale.  It's a good example of a bad user interface if nothing else along with the fact that my summary page does not normally display correctly (tested on multiple computers using several different operating systems - Android, Win7, Linux.....).  As I mentioned before, at least 95% of the time only my recent purchases display, not my watch list or current voucher codes.  That's why I mostly find out about the codes on the item listing pages.  Maybe that's what was intended?

I am disappointed to find that ebay staff do not pay any attention to this forum.  Their marketing people would advise them that it would be a good idea to pay attention.  Data collected here is just as useful as any gleaned from their "How did we do?" surveys.  Not even sure if they pay attention to the suggestions put forward there as well.  I advised ebay of a few problems with their new shopping cart check-out system a few years ago that they obviously had not bothered testing, but instead let the users do the testing.

I will check with ebay directly and report back.  Yes, I know it's only for interest sake.

Message 28 of 61
Latest reply

Even doing a search of the seller's Sold and Completed Listings your item does not show which indicates that it has been removed by ebay.  None of the seller's other listings are showing the voucher codes as that one did so I suspect that ebay removed it for that reason.

The seller has an appalling feedback rating.....I would not have touched them with a bargepole.

There is no way you can force ebay into honouring that discount code when it is showing on the listing like that.

In short, even if you want the item at the full price I suspect you will not be able to pay for it.

Message 29 of 61
Latest reply

Previously eBay have put a new 5% off code in place before expiring an earlier one - your seller has simply guessed a new one would be available today, based on eBay's past behaviour. So far, this doesn't seem to be the case.

You've agreed the pay the price shown ($500) - if an *eBay* promotion code doesn't work for whatever reason, that's not the seller's fault - they have no control over when eBay expires a promo code, or whether you qualify for it.

The seller isn't liable to make up the discount on eBay's behalf as you seem to believe, despite mentioning the code in the title and/or listing - it's a site-wide eBay promo, run by eBay, ended at eBay's discretion.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 30 of 61
Latest reply