Will I get sufficient protection if I pay item with eBay gift card?

Hi there,

Just wondering if I still get good buyer protection if I pay the item with eBay gift cards?

I guess I won't get PayPal protection if the item is not paid entirely using PayPal?

How about eBay's buyer protection then. 

Cheers, 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Will I get sufficient protection if I pay item with eBay gift card?

kopenhagen5 and digital*ghost are right. 

No matter the item is paid partially or entirely in eBay gift card, if the PayPal is the checkout/payment method, it is still paid through paypal, so you get the paypal buyer protection. 

I was able to open a not received case in PayPal, but not able to do so in eBay. 

Trying to click 'didn't receive' link in eBay will say 

'You're no longer covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee'

However, for other orders paid with eBay gift card, I was able to open a return request in eBay for arrive damaged. 

So I'm still not entirely sure about the eBay gift card on eBay. 

Maybe the no longer covered by eBay problem is not related to the gift card payment?

eBay customer support said the 'no longer covered' problem is because you can only open a not received case after the expected delivery time passed. However after the expected date, I'm still not able to open the case in eBay. 

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: Will I get sufficient protection if I pay item with eBay gift card?

Here's the customer support answer

Don't worry! Good thing you paid via PayPal so you are covered with both eBay and PayPal. You are under eBay Money Back Guarantee Policy and PayPal Buyer Protection Program. For eBay, you can only open "Track Request" after the estimated delivery date so you clearly cannot open it now. You can open it on the 15th of August since the estimated delivery date of your item is between August 8 to 14. For PayPal, you can open "Item Not Received" anytime within 180 days from payment date.

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply