advice bought 3 tops $31.00. Postage charge $34.00, all in one bag posted locally to m.e

I bought all three tops via best offer listings foolishly thought I could get combined postage as no where was stated in the listings that it was not an option, until I came to the checkout where the postage came to $34 I Had commited to buy so I  followed through thinking that once they had posted the clothing they would know what the final postage cost was and I would get a refund no such luck all the clothing arrived combined in one medium tough bag .Using the postage calculater it shows cost $16.09 while I have no problem paying a handeling charge $17.91 seems excessive

I contacted the seller to ask (nicely)if there was any chance of a postage discount 1wk later no response ,not sure what I can do but leave negative feedback any advice.  

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

advice bought 3 tops $31.00. Postage charge $34.00, all in one bag posted locally to m.e

@fufi6670 wrote:

I bought all three tops via best offer listings foolishly thought I could get combined postage as no where was stated in the listings that it was not an option, until I came to the checkout where the postage came to $34 I Had commited to buy so I  followed through thinking that once they had posted the clothing they would know what the final postage cost was and I would get a refund no such luck all the clothing arrived combined in one medium tough bag .Using the postage calculater it shows cost $16.09 while I have no problem paying a handeling charge $17.91 seems excessive

I contacted the seller to ask (nicely)if there was any chance of a postage discount 1wk later no response ,not sure what I can do but leave negative feedback any advice.  

Was it stating it was an option though? Generally, the time to ask about combined postage is before purchasing. If the items weren't immediate payment required, you could have sent a message prior to paying. No guarantee of a reply though. Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do. You can force a seller to refund you the difference. I agree that $17.90 is a bit rich to keep and then send everything combined, but unfortunately, the time to ask is before sale. Sorry.

You could express your disgruntlement in your feedback. That is your choice. Someone else may pop in and offer different advice or suggestions.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

The time to ask about combined postage is pre-sale.

If combined postage isn't stated in the listing it is probably, as in this case, not available.

Yes, you were foolish. The absence of a negative doesn't necessarily imply a positive.

If you want to leave negative feedback, that is down to your conscience. I'm certainly not going to give you my opinion of what your assumptions should result in.

Even if postage was ONLY $16.09, was there any packaging? If so, did the seller get it out of thin air? Does the seller have a red box right outside their house?

The bottom line - The time to ask about combined postage is pre-sale.

Not true. The bottom line is - did you get your goods in advertised condition at a price you were prepared to pay? Given you bought, I suspect yes.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

You negotiated the price via best offer, if you did not negotiate a postage discount, then imo wear it.  seller has accepted your offers and has obviously taken non discounted postage into account

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

There was no mention re:combined postage but also no mention of not excepting combined postage.

And if you are not going to offer combined you should post in three separate bags

All three items where immediate payment, have been on ebay along time (15yrs)never had this experiance before have also never left negative feedback before.   

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

You agreed to buy at the negotiated price WITH THE POSTAGE STATED IN THE LISTING.

It would be very bad form to give the seller a negative when she has sent the goods at the negotiated price and the stated postage.

You may find that ebay will remove the negative as you got exactly what was in the listing.

IMO express your displeasure by marking down the postage stars.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

If combined postage was not mentioned in the listing, then you should not expect it. For items with immediate payment there is no option to send an invoice with combined postage. While I agree that you should have received three parcels, and the Seller (in my opinion) should have given you a partial refund for postage after the fact, there is nothing you can do. Accept the fact that there are great sellers out there, and some "not so great" and move on.  As a Seller, I would never send in one parcel unless I asked if the buyer wanted them sent together. There may be reasons for wanting them sent separately. I always refund the overpayment. Be aware that Paypal no longer refunds the fees on these refunds, so the seller would be out of pocket unless they deduct the paypal fees.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Wow....three negatives.   I know who looks worst and it is not the seller.

You are happy to trash a seller's feedback because of your mistake.

The 3 items are quite bulky....the postage would not be reduced by a great amount.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I know someone here who will give this person a huge pat on the back as soon as they see this post 

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Wow....three negatives.   I know who looks worst and it is not the seller.

You are happy to trash a seller's feedback because of your mistake.

The 3 items are quite bulky....the postage would not be reduced by a great amount.

It probably wouldn't look so bad if the OP knew how to spell in their feedback. Makes them look even more pathetic.

Tempted to contact the seller to let them know that the feedback could possibly be removed. Then it would be the vindictive OP who would have egg on their face. 

Way to attack a low feedback seller! I bet the OP is feeling pretty chuffed with themselves right now. The seller has the last laugh though. The OP still paid the full amount. They are ultimately the loser in all this.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply