bubble wrap lined envelopes poor protection for CDs

Hello be aware that some Ebay sellers in Australia use envelopes that are lined with thin bubble sheeting that offers

very little protection against CD case damage. Ask for :  1)  a little bubble wrap inside the CD jewel case to prevent the actual

CD from popping off the case and shifting inside the CD jewel case

2) cardboard around case and then actual bubble wrap around the cardboard and put in an envelope.

3) if only a cardboard mailer is used there should be enough room inside it for bubble wrap...if there is

not enough space for bubblewrap inside the mailer then bubblewrap should go around the outside of the

mailer before it is put inside an envelope. This should all help to recieve ( but not guarantee ) a damage

free Jewel case and CD even with rough Australia post handling.

Cheers

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: bubble wrap lined envelopes poor protection for CDs

I've received damaged CDs in Aus Post mailers. I never complained because I always had a stack of new jewel cases. Sucked when the inserts were damaged, though (still never complained).
Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

My special interest and "rare" definition might be different to yours... (but of course by definition rare recordings appeal to very specific and narrow groups).

I was after a recording of a particular French mélodie recital by one of my favourite baritones (out of print for years as a CD, never released on cassette or record). I even contacted the singer himself, and he was lovely in giving me all sorts of leads, and even asked the pianist who accompanied him on the recording for any copies... He even said he'd love to come to Australia for a recital (J'aimerais beaucoup aller en Australie faire des récitals...), and it's been a pleasure to keep in touch with him.

(I love the French word for "out of print" - épuisé. It also means exhausted. I have a vision of a little CD on legs fanning itself with little hands, stumbling across a desert landscape, sinking to its knees, falling onto the sand, and Chopin's Op. 35 being played grimly.)

But none of those leads panned out. I'm not saying I would have given up; I wouldn't have. (I can be stubborn.) But unbeknownst to me, a friend of mine had either become fed up with my talking about new leads and disappointed results, OR was moved to pity, and found an obscure shop, located the very disc, and sent it to me anonymously with a clue so obscure that it almost defeated me.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

Usually adds about  2 dollars or less actually

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

Actually some mailers do have room for bubble wrap, depends on which ones you using. i get CDs from around the globe

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

i have had those too and with a few cracked cases out of only 15 CDs in these.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

Yeah i know what you mean but i hate the waste of throwng cases out and it's also the princible of it...new means and that's not the case when it arrives damaged

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

@louis_barnard wrote:

Usually adds about  2 dollars or less actually

Not if it takes the thickness over 2cm. Parcel rates apply then.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

The Australia Post mailers are pretty narrow and do not allow for bubble wrap to be used with a CD. The CD mailers I use are a bit bigger so I can wrap my CDs in bubble wrap and fit them in the CD mailer and keep the width to be under 20mm and therefore charge a letter rate for postage. I rarely have a complaint about the jewel cases being damaged during shipping.  Bit more difficult with the double CDs in digipaks - they either have to be posted in the CD mailer without bubble wrap (but there is no jewel case to crack) or squuezed in with bubble wrap and hope the thickness police don't ping me for being over 20mm.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

With double CD digipaks, you have to be really careful with the packaging as more than once I've received them posted as a letter and the plastic ring that holds the CD was all broken (the little claw bits all snapped). Those are irreplaceable as well.
Message 19 of 19
Latest reply