dodgy global shipping program

58bcm
Community Member

Not available in Australia,so l purchased a vintage rebuild carburetor (ebay usa) and sent through the global shipping program, 

3 weeks later l received an email from ebay stating item cant be delivered due to possible restrictions, and dont worry you will receive a full refund, l did get a full refund,, but the $850.00 carburetor wont be returned to the seller, so someone at the global shipping centre has done alright out of it!

what a joke!! a new rebuilt carb. deemed restricted item. theres some serious problems with this service!!!

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: dodgy global shipping program

Pitney Bowes who run the GSP have (or did have) an eBay site in the US that all their "confiscated" items were listed on. The seller doesn't get their item back, but as far as I'm aware they don't lose out on the money.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

dodgy global shipping program

@58bcm wrote:

Not available in Australia,so l purchased a vintage rebuild carburetor (ebay usa) and sent through the global shipping program, 

3 weeks later l received an email from ebay stating item cant be delivered due to possible restrictions, and dont worry you will receive a full refund, l did get a full refund,, but the $850.00 carburetor wont be returned to the seller, so someone at the global shipping centre has done alright out of it!

what a joke!! a new rebuilt carb. deemed restricted item. theres some serious problems with this service!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you and you've been put out by this. Yes a seller may get refund and you may get funds of sorts but that's not the point. Time, effort, expectation have now all been shredded to a nothing!

If buying a knife, some fishing equipment, anything to do with a machine's fuel system, cigarette lighters or unusual things that normally sail right through customs, it's an idea to contact seller prior to purchase and explain what may happen and could they please re-list. Best to do it promptly and hope for the best because some keen-eyed punter may spot that desired item and snap it up before seller gets to read your message.

Many sellers, a great deal of them have no idea that GSP has attached itself to their auction. More on this another time. Apart from a few cases where tunnel thinking of the seller is the stumbling block, I've had great success in getting auction / sale changed to First Class Int. USPS or another (and best one for the UK). I save money too.

In the below post from an early thread in the US, user elmih22 explains the simple opt out  process. You can C&P that part and send to a seller who stumbles a bit with the process.

How to opt out of global shipping program

elmih22

Guide
(513)

‎07-10-2013 12:42 AM

You CAN opt out of the Global Shipping Program.

Go to:

My eBay > My account > Site Preferences > Shipping preferences > EDIT > click 'yes' on 'opt out of the GSP > you will get this:

'You successfully opted out of the Global Shipping Program'.

Also you can 'check' the countries/continents where you do NOT want to ship to. You can check all the places you do NOT want to ship to, besides countries/continents - like PO Boxes, etc.

Also, it is better to always check your listing to be sure that the box for 'GSP' is not checked by eBay.I had my own experience where

I checked all places where i do not want to ship to - but i found anyway few of my listings with the box GSP checked. I had to review the listings and 'uncheck' the box for GSP.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-International-Trading/How-to-opt-out-of-global-shipping-progra...

Hopefully you don't have to endure another experience like this again. Cheers.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

zami-3179
Community Member

But I think if the seller didn't receive their item, then they will get the money back.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I meant to say Yes a seller may get funds back of sorts and you may get refunded,  but that's not the point. Time, effort, expectation have now all been shredded to a nothing!

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

contacted seller just now to see if they got item back,seller hasnt and ebay say isnt getting money or item back..

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Sorry to hear about your experience as I am into that sort of vintage car thing as well.  I would assume the restriction relates to the fact that the item "once held" a flammable liquid.  It's all a load of B.S.  But glad you got your refund, but yes, what a waste and I wonder what actually happens to these valuable things.  What a joke, I will be very careful about using the GSP in the future.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

4chan, please do not include links to the US boards, members might be maive enough to click on them and then may never find their way home (also being from 2013) they may find themselves locked in the past

There are enough done to death threads on GSP here on our own boards for you to link to

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@58bcm wrote:

contacted seller just now to see if they got item back,seller hasnt and ebay say isnt getting money or item back..

OK, I can understand the item not coming back because I have heard that this happens. I sure don't agree with that either. But I thought that the seller gets reimbursed at least eventually.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@goldenblack440 wrote:

Sorry to hear about your experience as I am into that sort of vintage car thing as well.  I would assume the restriction relates to the fact that the item "once held" a flammable liquid.  It's all a load of B.S.  But glad you got your refund, but yes, what a waste and I wonder what actually happens to these valuable things.  What a joke, I will be very careful about using the GSP in the future.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is time that is never gotten back. I agree totally with what you say.

I hope in future there's a warning to advise what items are restricted.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply