eBay cheating and lying on refunds. BUYER BEWARE!

The seller sent a used item which had been falsely described as "New". The seller accepted my return. The seller could not send a return postage label. The seller asked for a copy of the return postage receipt in order to refund the return postage. eBay instructed me to return the item by tracked postage. I followed eBay's instructions, and paid for the reurn postage. The seller has receved the item, and refunded GBP15.00 to my Paypal Account. There is no other refund amounts.

The eBay "Return Request" page has removed some information, an now simply states that "This return is now completed The seller refunded GBP 25.77 to your original payment method in PayPal." That is a lie, and by following eBay's instructions,  I am considerably out of pocket for the balance of the original cost PLUS the entire return shipping cost. Contacting eBay by phone I was unable to resolve the issue. One operator passed me to another who has now passed me to a third.

Seems the moral of the story with eBay is that if the item is not as described, TOUGH LUCK!

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

@ajf160959 wrote:

Let this thread be a warning that the eBay refund system has a serious fault.

It is a shame that the issue has gotten obsfucated by community members who think they know everything.

To repeat what I said in the original post:

eBay's "Return Request" page states:

"This return is now completed The seller refunded GBP 25.77 to your original payment method in PayPal."

My Paypal statement shows a completed refund for the amount of only GBP15. There is no other refunded amount completed, nor any other refund amount pending.

A lot of the time, asking clarifying questions and suggesting alternative scenarios for what might have happened, is done because it helps troubleshoot the issue and move it closer to determining the correct resolution. 

That's why most members will do the above.

No matter how clear and obvious something is to you, members here do not have the benefit of looking through all the details that you can, and when something doesn't add up (the eBay refund amount vs the amount in your PayPal account), the questions would generally continue until a clear idea is provided to the members seeking clarification, or it becomes clear they can not assist. 

I say that because repeating the word 'refund' (in regards to the GBP15 funds), might seem like a waste of time to you and that the other members aren't paying attention to what you're saying, but at the same time you're attempting to work with members who know that sometimes, some words are used by members seeking help in a generic and universal manner, which confuses matters greatly and results in the 'but what does it say here, and what does it show there' questions, which I can understand might make you feel like you're just repeating yourself, but the members are seeking confirmation so that they can be confident in the advice they provide. 

The questions I would ask are: 

Did the seller ever offer a partial refund? And does GBP15 even sound like the right amount for P&H (I know a 500g tracked package to the UK is some $28, so GBP15 works out to be a little short of that). 

Was a coupon or discount code used?

What shipping method did the seller use? (GSP may have had something to do with the discrepancy, I don't really know)

Was the payment funded in full with a credit card?

What does the PayPal email notification(s) regarding the refunded amount say? 

And, just for the heck of it... is there any chance the GBP 25.77 amount is actually GBP15 converted into AUD? Current exchange rate puts GBP 15 at $24.50 AUD. Add in PP's conversion fees, and you currently get $25.47

Message 21 of 68
Latest reply

@ajf160959 wrote:

eBay's "Return Request" page states:

"This return is now completed The seller refunded GBP 25.77 to your original payment method in PayPal. PayPal transaction  REMOVED"

This transaction shows that you had GBP25.77 refunded to your original payment method made up of the GBP10.00 item cost and the postage of GBP15.77.

Depending on where your funding came from the refund will be returned to that account.  If it was a debit or credit card account it will take several days to show.

My Paypal statement shows a completed refund for the amount of only GBP15. There is no other refunded amount completed, nor any other refund amount pending.

The attached screenshot (now removed by the Moderators) actually showed that you received a Payment of GBP15.00...the amount that you stated you were going to receive as payment for the return postage.  You have this payment....now you need to find out what has happened to the Refund.

The statement by eBay is totally false.

I guess that spending more time on the phone could bring some resolution, but so far it has not.

Message 22 of 68
Latest reply

@maranock wrote:

If you calm down and actually read what experienced memebrs are telling you I would bet that you will find that you have been refunded in full. Being rude because you don't understand the process does you no favours. The members here tend to be able to explain things better than Ebay call centre staff if you allow them to.

I am calm except in the face a barrage from the ignoramus and sycophants that haunt community fora like this.

I'll bet that statements by experienced members are wrong. I have not been refunded in full - neither for the original cost of the purchase (price plus postage), nor for the return postage for which I have received nothing.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

How did you fund the original payment?  If it was by a debit or credit card then the refund will go back to the original funding source and will take several days to appear there.

You have received the GBP15.00 from the seller because they sent it as a seperate transaction direct to your paypal account.

That is rubbish. The refunded amount of GBP15 appeared on my Paypal Activity Statement, and, as far as I can tell, simultaneously appeared on my Credit Card Statement. Perhaps there was some difference between the statements due to a delay bewteen the refund and me receiving notification of the refund and checking the accounts. Perhaps there was a period when the transaction appeared as "Pending" on the Credit Card Statement. As far as I can tell, if a transaction is processed by Paypal, it will appear on the Paypal Activity Statement regardless of the funding source.

My greatest loss and concern here is not being short changed on the original transaction costs,  and the false claims by eBay that I received a full refund for those costs.

My greatest loss is from returning the item. The parcel weighed about 600g and cost AUD$51.72 with Australia Post to the UK. eBay instructed me to return the item. The seller instructed me to return the item. eBay informed me that the seller is responsible for the return postage, and now informs me that they have no idea if I could get reimbursed for the return postage.

The big warning for others here is to not buy anything that is falsely described, and if you do don't return it because you could end up having paid for the wrongly-described item, the original postage and the return postage, and have absolutely nothing to show for it.

It's a real scam.

Message 23 of 68
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

...Depending on where your funding came from the refund will be returned to that account.  If it was a debit or credit card account it will take several days to show.

...The attached screenshot (now removed by the Moderators) actually showed that you received a Payment of GBP15.00...the amount that you stated you were going to receive as payment for the return postage.  You have this payment....now you need to find out what has happened to the Refund.

...This transaction shows that you had GBP25.77 refunded to your original payment method made up of the GBP10.00 item cost and the postage of GBP15.77.

lyndal1838 

I missed the screenshot. Have you hacked my account? I never stated that GBP15 was the amount I expected for the return postage. No transaction shows I ever received a refund of GBP25.77. That was simply a false statement made by eBay on  the "Retrn Request" page. 

Message 24 of 68
Latest reply

Since you believe the members here can't help you, your only option now is to do as I suggested in the 3rd post on this thread and sort it out yourself with eBay through a call-back from them. 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 25 of 68
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I say that because repeating the word 'refund' (in regards to the GBP15 funds), might seem like a waste of time to you and that the other members aren't paying attention to what you're saying, but at the same time you're attempting to work with members who know that sometimes, some words are used by members seeking help in a generic and universal manner, which confuses matters greatly and results in the 'but what does it say here, and what does it show there' questions, which I can understand might make you feel like you're just repeating yourself, but the members are seeking confirmation so that they can be confident in the advice they provide. 

The questions I would ask are: 

Did the seller ever offer a partial refund? And does GBP15 even sound like the right amount for P&H (I know a 500g tracked package to the UK is some $28, so GBP15 works out to be a little short of that). 

Was a coupon or discount code used?

What shipping method did the seller use? (GSP may have had something to do with the discrepancy, I don't really know)

Was the payment funded in full with a credit card?

What does the PayPal email notification(s) regarding the refunded amount say? 

And, just for the heck of it... is there any chance the GBP 25.77 amount is actually GBP15 converted into AUD? Current exchange rate puts GBP 15 at $24.50 AUD. Add in PP's conversion fees, and you currently get $25.47

Regarding the word "refund", I use it where eBay and Paypal use it. I would be very wary of how other "experienced" users might choose to use it to gain their own kudos. As stated earlier (empasis added):

@ajf160959 wrote:

I have not admitted that the refund was for the original postage. The refund transaction on my Paypal account says "Refund total (includes tax and shipping) GBP15". (Note that the preceding statement is another copy-and-paste.) It doesn't say much else.

I'll look into your other suggestions. Thanks.

Message 26 of 68
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Since you believe the members here can't help you, your only option now is to do as I suggested in the 3rd post on this thread and sort it out yourself with eBay through a call-back from them. 

This thread was intended as a serious warning for others. I would never expect to find adequate answers on forums like this. I am following your advice but have not received a call-back. The offices are now closed.

Message 27 of 68
Latest reply

ajf160959 wrote:

Regarding the word "refund", I use it where eBay and Paypal use it. I would be very wary of how other "experienced" users might choose to use it to gain their own kudos. As stated earlier (empasis added):

ajf160959 wrote:

I have not admitted that the refund was for the original postage. The refund transaction on my Paypal account says "Refund total (includes tax and shipping) GBP15". (Note that the preceding statement is another copy-and-paste.) It doesn't say much else.

I mentioned that other people (and by that I mean other members like yourself who have visted the forums with a one-off problem), have used the word refund, but it doesn't always mean the same thing. By which I mean, if you receive a sum of money back from a purchase, for all intents and purposes, this is a 'refund', but the method of sending the funds makes a significant difference in determining what has happened with the original transaction - the seller sending a payment isn't the same thing as processing a refund of the original transaction payment, even though, from a buyer's perspective, the end result is the same. 

Bear in mind, as well, if the GSP wasn't involved in this transaction, and there's no other pertinent details that have been left out, this scenario is thus far unprecedented. 

It sounds to me like the money was issued from the original transaction, though, otherwise PayPal wouldn't use the word 'refund' in the transaction details or email notification (if the seller had just sent you money, you'd receive an email titled something like 'You've received new funds!', and the balance would go to your PayPal account, and not be credited back to the card that funds payments.

If the seller ships via the Global Shipping Program, your original payment that you made to them would have been split into two - with one part going to the seller, and the remainder going to Pitney Bowes, who operate the shipping side of things. The seller can only refund the money they receive, not the shipping amount that was sent to PB, so that's one possible explanation for the discrepancy (obviously if the GSP wasn't used, this isn't applicable).

As a seller, I have had requests opened against me and personally, I've found I've never been able to issue partial refunds (because the payment is frozen in my account), only full refunds of the original payment, unless I officially offer the buyer a partial refund and they formally accept it via the resolution centre, but other sellers have mentioned being able to do so, and it can have an effect on the request and how it resolves (anecdotally, anyway, I only say this as a possibility, not a definite cause). If there was another way the seller was able to issue less money than what they received from you, I'm not currently aware of it. 

I would actually call PayPal before getting in touch with eBay again, and asking them if they can shed any light on the discrepancy, noting to them that eBay records indicate a refund of X, while only Y was received. 

Message 28 of 68
Latest reply

@ajf160959 wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

...Depending on where your funding came from the refund will be returned to that account.  If it was a debit or credit card account it will take several days to show.

...The attached screenshot (now removed by the Moderators) actually showed that you received a Payment of GBP15.00...the amount that you stated you were going to receive as payment for the return postage.  You have this payment....now you need to find out what has happened to the Refund.

...This transaction shows that you had GBP25.77 refunded to your original payment method made up of the GBP10.00 item cost and the postage of GBP15.77.

lyndal1838 

I missed the screenshot. Have you hacked my account? I never stated that GBP15 was the amount I expected for the return postage. No transaction shows I ever received a refund of GBP25.77. That was simply a false statement made by eBay on  the "Retrn Request" page. 

The first screenshot in your OP showed the PAYMENT from the seller of GBP15.00 for the return postage.  It was removed by a Moderator for privacy reasons.

Your post #7 has a screenshot showing the total REFUND for the item cost plus original postage which will go back to your original funding source, not to your paypal account.

Good luck with sorting it out with ebay....it is more a paypal problem along with you not understanding what funding source you used with your paypal payment.

Message 29 of 68
Latest reply

@ajf160959 wrote:

@padi*0409 wrote:

This thread was intended as a serious warning for others. I would never expect to find adequate answers on forums like this. I am following your advice but have not received a call-back. The offices are now closed.

download.jpg

image host
Message 30 of 68
Latest reply