eBay doesn't care about people listing counterfiet goods - I can prove it

deavo25
Community Member

I recently purchase a Molton basketball from a seller saying the item was in Aus. Not only was it shipped from China, I could prove that the item was fake (with the help of Molton Australia). 

I notified eBay, and (after an offensive amount of back and forth) garnished a refund from the seller. eBay agreed that the item was indeed counterfeit. 

A few weeks later, guess who's STILL selling the counterfeit basketballs under the same listing!! I messaged eBay and received a very generic reply about how seriously eBay take counterfeits blah blah. Well cut to a few weeks later and guess whos STILLLLLL selling fake basketballs!! This is disguisting. 

I'll be emailing the minister for fari trading - this is **bleep** poor on eBay's behalf. Profit over integrety. You're complicit eBay. 

I emplore people to contact their relvevant minister. It's very easy - just search for Minister of Fair Trading

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

So why didn't you leave feedback for the seller to warn other buyers ?

What is their feedback percentage like ?

When you look at the seller's feedback, where are they registered ?  They may say the items are located in Australia but if they are registered in let's say China, that is where the items are likely to be coming from.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

The first thing I did was checking the feedback the OP left for others - and I didn't find anything about that seller. Did the item take over 2 months to arrive, coming from China? If not, why didn't you leave feedback?

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Far better to come to a member to member forum eBay don't so much as peek at to tell eBay they are complicit

If the seller is indeed registered in China, eBay is not going to do a thing

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Ebay cannot verify authenticity of every item that is sold on the platform. It is 100% up to buyers to do their due diligence before purchasing, including checking to see where a seller is REGISTERED (look in their feedback page), not where the item is located. Buyers should also be carefully checking sellers feedback for any red flags, including sellers who are registered in Australia, but perhaps drop shipping from China.

When items ship from China, there is almost 100% chance that they will be fake. There is no need to go back and forth with the seller, and there is no need to hassle yourself with verification from Molton. Just open a case for Not As Described.

The Minister for Fair Trading is not going to do anything. People have come to these boards for years saying they are going to complain to various authorities. None of them have ever had much success, especially if a seller is registered overseas.

Counterfeiting is as old as the hills and buying on any online platform is a case of caveat emptor.

You haven't left any negative feedback, so the seller will continue to do as they please as there is nothing to warn other buyers.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

On each and every listing are the words - Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Ebay are not complicit at all.

By messaging ebay you are notifying, and being responded to by bots.

If the item came from overseas then no-one will do anything about it.

Do your own due diligence and let everyone else worry about their own purchases.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

When items ship from China, there is almost 100% chance that they will be fake.

This would be a gross generalisation. 

I have been buying hundreds of items from China over the years, and to date have not received a single fake item that I am aware. 

There are plenty of sellers with integrity in China,  but as with sellers in any country, one needs to vet the prospective seller before buying. 

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

When items ship from China, there is almost 100% chance that they will be fake.

.................This would be a gross generalisation. 

a0statisticsaremadeup_a_brown.jpg

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

So is it branded  Molton  or Molten,  makes a big difference if it is counterfeit or not.  What action does the Brand owner or  Molton Australia intend to take,  Why should I or anyone else bother to pursue such a matter when the brand owner is able to take their own action.

What is the listing number.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

I'm guessing that the question you are asking is why hasn't ebay blocked or banned the seller, given that you have, with the help of Molton Australia, been able to prove your item was counterfeit.

You're wanting to know why the seller continues to be able to sell the exact same thing with the exact same ad.

It's a fair enough question, actually.

There are a few things you probably should have done differently. Firstly, made a claim to ebay for item not as described. (Or did you do this eventually, as you said ebay agreed it was counterfeit)

Next, you could have left feedback to warn other buyers.

The likelihood of ebay banning the seller is about zilch. They don't really care, that's the truth when it comes to items coming out of China. Their laws are not the same as here, I've seen ads from China for wedding frocks where the photos were directly filched from the designer websites. Needless to say, if you ordered the frock it is doubtful you'd get anything approaching the real thing.

Ebay is getting commission for the ads/sales, it is helping them get rich and so unless there is some law against it, they aren't going to stop those sellers. If the seller was based in Australia, it might be different, but from China, nope, not at the moment, not unless our laws changed.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply