eBay not allowing buyers to cancel items

This has happened to me twice recently.

Note: What I mean buy accidentally buying an item is that a second after I press the final confirmation button I no longer want the item.

I have tried to close the page as soon as I realise that buying the item was a mistake, but strangely, the order still goes through. On other sites closing the webpage will cancel the transaction.

After accidentally ordering an item I have cancelled the item seconds later. Strangely, eBay are now giving sellers the option to reject or to allow buyers to cancel orders. Which I suspect might be breaking consumer laws.

1st time this happened to me, I cancelled the order and contacted the seller. The seller admitted that he hadn't posted the item and that he stands to lose nothing by cancelling the order. But, he still decided to post the item because it was to his financial advantage.

On this occasion I decided to let it slip.

It happened to me a second time just then. I cancelled the item seconds after I purchased it, I got eBay's message "You are at the mercy of the seller." So what does the seller do? They completely ignore the cancellation reqest and days later, posts the item.

So, I contacted eBay live help and they said "on this occasion, we will refund your money." But, they made it clear it's a once off.

And they refused to explain themselves.

I am extremely suspicious that eBay is breaking Australian consumer law and as a buyer I think it's outrageous.

I'm also pretty sure that this new rule they have is only a few months old. The previous rule they had gave the buyer 3 days to cancel an order if it was a mistake.

I don't really have any questions for the community about this, I'm just making a statement.

*If eBay ever refuse to cancel my orders for no good reason I will take it up with CBS.*

Message 1 of 76
Latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

"I'm a buyer only, not a seller, yet I'm aware that sellers are immediately charged a transaction fee by PayPal upon an immediate payment being made. That transaction fee is not refundable."
eBay are telling me something different. If they buyer cancels the order the selling fees are automatically refunded.

"Perhaps, though, you don't pay before suddenly changing your mind."
Not on the occasions I mentioned. My Paypal account gets debited immediately.

"In addition, there is considerable inconvenience involved; ask the average seller how much they like a buyer regularly cancelling their purchase..."
I thought this might be brought up. Arguments like "hey, the seller might have to click a button." It's too small of an inconvienience to entertain, sorry.
The inconvienience of the seller fees, I will entertain.
As far as the selling fees are concerned. I would expect eBay to refund them instantly, if not instantly, reasonably fast so the seller is not really inconvienienced.

"in all honesty, I am just not sure how it's possible to change your mind in the space of one second."
I can think of many different reasons why a buyer could change their mind.
Here's one: the buyer may not be be fully aware of the additional charges such as GST and just assume it's GST free and click the "confirm purchase" button.
Only to read on the screen they will be charged some whopping GST and say to themselves: "Oh no, the GST that's right!"
I can throw out probably a dozen other scenarios where a rational buyer may change their mind.
My thinking about the item is usually done before I click the "buy now" button.

"1 second has to rank as the fastest "buyer's remorse""
I wouldnt describe what happned to me as buyers remorse. More like a mouseslip/accidental purchase.
Have you ever heard of a buyer being remorseful like 0.05 seconds after a purchase? That's not buyers remorse.

"For the record, it's never been the case (to my knowledge) that you could automatically cancel an order within 3 days."
To the best of my knowledge, this was eBay's policy before this new rule.
I've had confirmation from eBay's live chat about this.

Message 21 of 76
Latest reply

If ebay told you that they out and out liars pure and simple

Message 22 of 76
Latest reply

"how is it that one second you want an item badly enough that you hit the final confirm button and then one second later you don't want the item?  My brain doesn't work that fast."

You can list it as an accidental mouseclick. Trust me, sometimes it does happen. It's happened to me twice over a period of a year on eBay. Could be automatic reflex as well. My point is, it does happen.

"who or what is CBS? The only CBS I can think of is the USA TV network. ACA or ACCC I might understand . . . . . but CBS . . . . I got nuthin "
CBS are consumer affairs here in South Australia.

Message 23 of 76
Latest reply

"If ebay told you that they out and out liars pure and simple"

I will try and find some evidence for it then. There might be some old webages around with it still around.

I just had a quick look and found this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item?id=4041

"Once you start a return, the seller has 3 business days to sort things out."

I think I see what's happened here. The buyer can "request to cancel the order" within 3 days of the purchase being made. But, it does not guarantee that the order will be cancelled.

The impression I had was that the buyer could do this without the seller's approval.

Okay, so that clears up that. 🙂 I was under the wrong impression.

Message 24 of 76
Latest reply

"I'm a buyer only, not a seller, yet I'm aware that sellers are immediately charged a transaction fee by PayPal upon an immediate payment being made. That transaction fee is not refundable."
eBay are telling me something different. If they buyer cancels the order the selling fees are automatically refunded.

You're confusing ebay's selling fees (known as final value fees) and paypal's fees, which are two completely different things.  Ebay charges fees as soon as a sale is made, even if it isn't immediately paid for.  Paypal charges fees when you make a payment.  Ebay and paypal are two separate companies and ebay can't refund paypal's fees.  Part of the paypal fees are reversible but the surcharge on every payment is non-refundable.

It sounds like you're signed up for 'faster checkout' where you don't have to sign in to paypal each time you buy.  If you change it so you have to sign in to paypal each time you wouldn't 'accidentally' buy and pay for anything.

Your link above refers to returning items, not to cancelling a purchase.

You still don't get the inconvenience you can cause.  I had a Russian buy something several months ago and I don't post overseas so I had to cancel the sale.  I listed that item under a no-fees promotion and she ruined my chances of selling it to a genuine buyer.  I had to wait a couple of months before I could relist it because of her.

Message 25 of 76
Latest reply

As a seller with a store I find cancelations to be a minimal inconvenience  that only occurs a few times a month. I make mention in listings to make contact to cancel an order and really cannot understand all the fuss against it. It's really just basic customer service and you never know if it may translate into a future sale.

Message 26 of 76
Latest reply

@kaibacorp* wrote:

I just had a quick look and found this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item?id=4041

"Once you start a return, the seller has 3 business days to sort things out."

I think I see what's happened here. The buyer can "request to cancel the order" within 3 days of the purchase being made. But, it does not guarantee that the order will be cancelled.

The impression I had was that the buyer could do this without the seller's approval.

Okay, so that clears up that. 🙂 I was under the wrong impression.

I'm afraid you still are - returns are not cancellations, returns are when the buyer wants to send an item they've received back to the seller, and the 3 days is applicable in only some circumstances.

I want to address your other post, though (#20), because I think you're still looking at the issue from too narrow a perspective. There isn't just a void of time where nothing happens between an order being made, and an order being marked as posted. You speak of sellers not being inconvenienced, or getting credits on their fees and so forth, but you don't really seem to be thinking about the fact that it doesn't make any sense for a seller to operate their business to cater for those people who don't want the items they buy (and pay for) - the vast majority of sellers run their business under the (perfectly reasonable) assumption that the buyers want the items they've purchased, and to have them posted as soon as the seller's processing time allows.

Consider for a moment that not every eBay business is operated by one person, sitting at home, checking their computer for sales, packaging items, getting immediate notifications of messages, and can react immediately to requests to cancel or change orders. And that's if the message even gets through to the seller's inbox - they don't always, I've also received messages myself that were anywhere from half an hour to 2 days after the buyer actually sent it, which was determined through the course of the communicatoin.

A chain of events can be set in motion the second a buyer pays for the item, because some sellers receive orders and send them over to distribution centres or departments, while another employee or department has the responsibility of customer inquiries - many businesses allocate a specific window, once per day or even less, to read and respond to messages because it doesn't make any practical or financial sense to operate differently, which means even if you message a seller the absolute second after purchase, they won't see it and therefore be able to attend to it until it's too late (had this happen once myself, I wanted to change the address and a split second after confirming the purchase, I realised it still had a different address at checkout. The order shipped that afternoon, and seller didn't respond to me until the following day, which by then was of course too late. Thems the breaks when you do something by accident - it was my fault, and I resigned myself to having to collect the package from the other address, and catch a taxi home. One of the good things about accepting responsibility for your actions, though, is learning from it - I have never done that again). 

This delay in processing orders and attending to messages about them doesn't just mean the seller may not be able to accomodate the buyer, it also often means resources have been spent on preparing the item for shipment (and by resources, I mean printing invoices, purchasing postage, wrapping and packing the item - not being marked as posted doesn't mean the seller hasn't incurred postage expenses, some of which are not recoverable.

So again, I suggest you take a little more time when considering purchases, and this isn't about inconvenience, because it's entirely possible once you pay for something, cancellation is off the table. 

Message 27 of 76
Latest reply

"Please don't tell us that nobody is harmed when a buyer cancels a purchase,"

In regards to the fees, as far as I'm aware ellers are promptly getting 100% of their fees refunded.

"If it's a listing with multiple items available..."
None of the items I bought were listings with multiple items.

"I once had a stupid woman buy $600 worth of items from me and then just shrug it off."

That's not the scenario that happened to me. If it were, I agree with you, it shouldn't  be allowed for buyers to fool sellers around like that.

"If you keep taking things to the checkout and paying for them in a b&m shop and then asking for an immediate refund"
That is not what happened. Of course, if someone kept on taking items to the checkout and not paying for them it would be inconvieniencing the seller. Which is wrong.

"Consumer law says you have a right to return goods that are faulty or not fit for purpose, "
I'm not too sure what consumer law says about it. If that's what consumer law says, then the law is the law and I will not be entitled to compensation. That's fair by me...

Message 28 of 76
Latest reply

eBay are telling me something different. If they[sic] buyer cancels the order the selling fees are automatically refunded.

Yes, eBay's fees ARE refunded.

Paypal, however, charge a NON-REFUNDABLE transaction fee. So, any time a seller agrees to cancel a paid item, they are directly out of pocket. The buyer gets all of their money back, but the seller has to pay the difference.

As far as going to consumer affars about eBay allowing a seller to refuse a cancellation request, good luck with that. The contract/transaction is between you and the seller. It has nothing, legally, to do with eBay.

Message 29 of 76
Latest reply

"Also, if you have paid through Paypal, the seller is charged a non-refundable fee for every transaction"

I didn't know that, I will find evidence for it.

If that were the case, it would be a legitimate reason for sellers to refuse cancellations. Even 1 second after the transaction.

I just chatted to eBay's live help. They said they cannot comment on the PayPal fees and re-directed me to PayPal.

So, I will go now and confirm this with paypal. (Could take awhile.)

eBay live chat did tell me this:

kaibacorp*
19:12 PM
But, will the seller be fully refunded all fees from eBay?

Sonia
19:12 PM
Yes seller will get the refund of the fee as well.

kaibacorp*
19:13 PM
Ok thanks

So we can eliminate that possibility; that eBay will charge fees.

Message 30 of 76
Latest reply