false location

How can we push ebay to make sellers put the true location of the item, not located in melbourne and then to find out it being shipped from china and will take weeks. These sellers are giving false and misleading Information, and should be banned.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: false location

It shows the estimated delivery date before anyone buys anything, so there is no 'buy something and then discover it will take weeks to arrive' 

If an item listing says it is in Melbourne and the estimated delivery date is in 6 weeks time, obviously it is not really in Melbourne 

The feedback page show where the seller is registered and their feedback shows if they lie about where they mail from

eBay allow  sellers to say the *item* is wherever they please, so they are fully aware of the ones who lie

eBay will do nothing about sellers in China

And buyers who keep buying from them are keeping them in business 

What was the item number for this one?

Of course there are also those who dropship from China which should be mentioned in the listing 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Currently my pet hate on eBay. They open a Aust Post tracking immediately they get order, then you see in tracking a 2 to 3 week delay from "Tracking number provided" to "Received and ready for processing".  Goods are batch shipped from China then repacked to individual orders. I find giveaway signs are they list their location as Australia, Australia or Sydney, Australia or others have complained of delays.  I ALWAYS leave negative feedback for these now as soon as I see an unreasonably delay between the tracking stages.  The fix is eBay needs to add a qualification “Item is CURRENTLY at this location”.  Sellers often state “We ship from the item location”; well yeah they do AFTER it ships from China to Sydney. The only way to reduce this is for buyers to be harsh and just leave negative feedback.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

As already stated, the estimated delivery date is shown before you buy.

That's an indication as to where the item is located.  If shipping says 3 weeks then it's not in Australia.

Also their feedback will have some complaints about shipping from China.

Do some research before buying and there won't be any nasty surprises.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

The last seller you left negative feedback for, why didn't you check their feedback before buying? Then you would have seen dozens of complaints about the items coming from overseas. If you don't check feedback before you buy, why bother leaving negative feedback if others also choose not to check feedback? A bit pointless really.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I'm with you fatcatmudracing.

I know many say "the trick is, when you are checking the seller's feedback, to look at where they are registered" etc etc. Perhaps they aren't promoting that as a genuine solution. Clearly it's not a solution, even though that's exactly what we've all been spinning our wheels on, for years now. Database software eliminated the need for that kind of tedium decades ago. Seriously, SQL has been around since 1974! But on eBay in 2022 we are back in the dark ages of IT, using 1960s techniques which, no longer offer a viable work-around due to the sheer volume of fake information on eBay. Even the estemated shipping times can be manipulated as I found out in 2020.

eBay could fix it in a heartbeat with a few lines of code, but wont, due to it's business model. Drafted in China, no doubt. So I think the first step toward any solution is to make the issue visible & obvious. Like oil washing up on the beach exposes a tanker with a dirty little secret. But in order to highlight this issue, we first need people to STOP marking the issue as SOLVED just to tidy the house. Im not singling this forum out, it happens all over the web, where ever the topic pops up.

My point is that it's clearly an ONGOING issue which can not be truly SOLVED by anyone other than the folks who disabled it in the first place. ie: the IT department at ebay.

Perhaps a campaign targeting the issue might raise awareness. Call it an intentional use of false information with the intent of benefiting foreign entities economically. ASIC should be interested in something like that.

Why stick with ebay? I can hear others saying "if you don't like it, shop somewhere else". This location search feature already exists and it has worked okay back in the good ol days. We have far more chance of forcing eBay to fix this one, than we have of getting location search established on some other site - (and then have all the ebay sellers migrate to it).

Viva la revolución!

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

So you're basically saying that a seller in, for example, China should be forced to list the item location as China. Regardless of the physical location of the product. Some Chinese sellers, for example, actually have items located in Australia. Or you could assume they don't and check for yourself where the seller is located. It's on the feedback page, which you naturally check before purchasing.

Simplistic answer to a complex question. And unworkable to boot.

I'm not sure what SQL has to do with it. SQL is a database language, and would require more than a few lines of code to implement your 'suggestion'.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

bryzen
Community Member

A false location is NOT out of the ordinary.

It's OUR expectations.

I am personally fine whenever i receive an item.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I don't know anything about computer codes. I'll leave that to others.

To me, a partial solution would be if next to the seller name in the actual ad, the location of the seller was also listed.

That way, buyers could see item location plus seller location on the same page, no having to click and check (which a lot of casual buyers do not know to do).

Buyers could then make up their mind if they wanted to support an overseas seller, no matter where the item was located.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply