first time using ebay now <Removed> is stealing money from account - ebay has become dangerous

lady at work who only shops from big retailers like target, kogan etc signed up for ebay for the first time ever and bought a book from melbourne based seller now is having money stolen out of her account by a US company called <Removed> for purchases in the US - of all the things someone could steal they are buying food from <Removed>

Bank teller told her that ebay is a very bad dodgy place.

Ebay used to be a safe trustworthy place to shop and secure - what the hell has happened?

She has been telling quite a lot of people around our very very busy workplace how bad ebay is and dangerous.

I was thinking maybe the melbourne bookseller maybe has their account compromised.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

first time using ebay now <Removed> is stealing money from account - ebay has become dangerous

I am not 100% sure what is happening here.

Did the lady use paypal?

Was the Melbourne based company she bought from called <Removed> I am presuming it wasn't. But if not, how can the lady tell that it was the ebay purchase that caused the trouble? I once had something like this happen to our credit card. Luckily the bank stopped the transaction. But I hadn't used the card at all on ebay, I had used it to on a cruise holiday at various shops in Qld.

It is true that some ebay accounts do get compromised but I wouldn't say it is all that common. I usually check recent feedback, that helps give a bit of a guide. 

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Yes ebay can become a bad place to buy if you don't use a safe and secure payment method eg PayPal.

Also why would a new member for the first time pay with anything but PayPal?

Seems a bit fishy to me Woman Surprised

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

As is the 'friend' spreading gossip rather than going to the police or fraud squad 

Or contacting eBay..........or posting here themselves 

Surprised the 'bank teller' did not suggest the same 

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

My neighbour has a few horses running around his paddock, I will go and check if he is missing any excrement, as this sounds like horse ****

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

don't know why but the mods have foolishly removed the company REMOVED which is a US company like ubereats it is not an ebay seller called REMOVED - the melbourne based seller is not REMOVED but due to rules i cannot post the name of the melbourne seller here - what has happened has nothing to do with paypal (or maybe it does) - let me run it over again lady purchases books from a AUSTRALIAN seller - no issue here, book arrives fine - a few weeks later her credit card is getting charged from a US based food delivery company called REMOVED (like uber eats) for hundreds of dollars in multiple transactions, all for purchases in the US.

This practice of the moderators removing crucial details and company names which have nothing to do with ebay is like they are facilitating fraud and theft

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

judging by your response it just makes you appear very uneducated - in fact i bet you never made it to university because you were not smart enough with responses like that.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

she did use paypal - credit card details have been hijacked  after ebay purchase and purchases are now being made on door dash (like ubereats) in the united states - issue has arisen after using ebay - she never had an issue with target or kogan or even kmart just happened after using ebay

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

she has contacted the ACCC and reported ebay, she has also contacted ACORN and filed a report.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Why does she believe ebay is the cause, people use their cards in numerous places these days. Unless of course the seller asked her for her card details and she gave it to them then she needs to learn some basic security lessons on how to handle personal information. 

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply