got refund but item now arrived

I ordered an item that was falsely marked as delivered by the freight company, I logged a query with the seller as I hadn't recieved the item, I escalated this to ebay as it seemed like because it was marked as delivered it was delivered.  Ebay instantly closed the case against me, And then after appeal I got a refund, even though I stated I actually wanted the item.  Now almost two weeks later the item has actually been delivered.  I sent the seller a message and a query to ebay, but no-one has answered, I was wondering what I should do?  

I only logged the complaint as the freight complany claimed the item was delivered, and sent me an email to this effect a week later.  I thought at this point I was probably going to be ripped off, either they delivered it unsecured and someone has taken it (even though someone was home) Or the item was lost somewhere and the contractor claimed they delivered it so they could get paid.  I appealed and pointed out several discrepancies the delivery time was 2am Saturday, the delivery progress showed unlikely ordering (multiple trips from Australia to America).  Now the item has been delivered, I feel guilty as it was not my intension to rip anyone off.  What is the normal process when this happens? particularly when they haven't answered my queries?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Not to put too fine a point on it, if a buyer puts me through an INR  / refund process, they go straight on the Blocked Buyer list, and the "do not allow member to contact" box is ticked.  Entirely possible your seller's done something similar.

If possible, you can go into your PayPal account, find the transaction, click on the seller's name, copy their e-mail address, and just send them the payment via "Send Funds" - be sure to include a note to explain why you're making the payment.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

It sounds like the item came through the GSP.

Items are marked as delivered when they are handed to a third-party carrier (usually Australia Post) in-country by the US-AUS carrier (usually FedEx). Or when delivered, if Fedex is delivering.

As said, repay the seller; they have done nothing wrong and you have the item and haven't paid for it.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

So performance parts, you penalise a buyer because of what is likely a problem with Australia post? Hardly seems fair to me, so my choice is lose my money but hey I can still buy from you in the future, or use the facilities in place to make sure I quite rightly receive my item or a refund and you'll take your bat and ball and go home and refuse to converse further?
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I've always made it a rule that if the item is declared as delivered (but isn't) or has been lost in transit, and I've been refunded but then it turns up, I repay the seller.

I had this happen not so long ago where the seller must have annoyed her local PO staff or something.  My purchase was mysteriously slapped with a sticker and sent by surface mail....from the UK.

I always email the seller first with the good news, then I repay them through PayPal.

On one occasion (not eBay) after a month of waiting I didn't receive items from an Oz seller and she sent me another set.  They arrived on time.....and 3 weeks later the original order arrived.  Aust Post at its most bizarre.  I thought about it, and in the end decided I would contact the seller and offer to pay for the second set.  To my surprise she didn't want the money.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I think that when a seller blocks somebody from contacting them you are notified that your message hasn't gone through.

Sellers can block buyers from certain countries from contacting them if they don't ship to their country. Once I happened to try to contact a seller that had indicated "May not ship to Australia" and I got a message that my message could not go through. I don't remember the exact words, but I did get a message in red. I tried more than once, just in case...

I then found out that some sellers do this to save time if they don't post to the buyer's country. Why such sellers would not simply indicate "Does not post to Australia" is a mystery...

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@papermoon.ladywrote:

I think that when a seller blocks somebody from contacting them you are notified that your message hasn't gone through.

Sellers can block buyers from certain countries from contacting them if they don't ship to their country. Once I happened to try to contact a seller that had indicated "May not ship to Australia" and I got a message that my message could not go through. I don't remember the exact words, but I did get a message in red. I tried more than once, just in case...

I then found out that some sellers do this to save time if they don't post to the buyer's country. Why such sellers would not simply indicate "Does not post to Australia" is a mystery...

You can put that and they still want to contact you, or they bypass your blocks and buy even when you state quite clearly in your description that you don't post overseas.  I had one recently who twice got blocked from buying because of the blocks I've set up, then she bypassed them and bought it. 

@ letscleanup, I think performanceparts meant if they go straight to an INR case without having the courtesy to message first and give him a chance to fix it before they get ebay involved.  I've only ever had one person open an INR case - an impatient Chinese person in Sydney opened it the next day after the item was due.  That was in the days when AP only took 2 days to get something to Sydney from country Vic so she was extremely impatient.  It arrived the next day, I assume, because she left feedback (Chinese buyers rarely do, in my experience).

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

You can put that and they still want to contact you

Then they could state"Does't post to Australia" AND block.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

You can do all that and they can still get around it if they really want to. Even if you're blocked from buying, you can still click on Contact Seller, just not through a listing.
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@papermoon.ladywrote:

Why such sellers would not simply indicate "Does not post to Australia" is a mystery...

The message that appears is  of eBay's doing, and it's based on the settings the seller has set up. 

If it says "may not ship to Australia", it means the seller has not listed the item with shipping options for Australia, and has not gone into their setting to block people with a postage location they don't send to. 90% of the time - at least  it's because they don't know that not setting up postage options to other countries is not enough to prevent someone from buying, so if it says "may not", it's better to treat it as "does not".

If it says "does not ship to Australia", then the seller has definitely set up their preferences to block people in the countries they don't post to.

These particular block doesn't prevent messages from going through, as such (even if the seller has ticked to block messages from blocked buyers), as mentioned above it just removes the 'contact seller' option from listings - if you use the contact seller link from their profile, you can send a message if you select the option "this is not about an item", but will be told to look for answers in the listing or FAQs if you put in an item number.

The UK and US does have an option not available in Australia to block messages from any and every member, unless they have purchased an item from them, in which case you usually get a red error message advising that due to the volume of messages the seller receives, they can not receive (or reply to) messages. 

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply